• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Denver Post reporting...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Interesting news. I wonder if they could sign him, and it would bide well for a next TdF bid especially if it includes another TTT. I wonder what Wiggins and VdV would think of this, as well as Tyler...

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
So what does it say if Contador comes back and continues to ride as if on Astana? According to the Astana detractors they ride the way they do because of their "program", so do we expect an unbeatable Contador again or something less? I wonder what VandeVelde and Wiggins think about this?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I, for one, would like to see this come to fruition for Vaughters. It would focus the cycling world on US teams--Columbia, Radio Shack and Garmin--which would be good for the sport stateside. Some are going to say he is a Saiz protege, and rightly so, but Vandevelde also rode for Liberty Seguros. And if he can pass Vaughters' background checks via blood profiles then why not? But I don't think he will do this in the end.

Bala Verde said:
Interesting news. I wonder if they could sign him, and it would bide well for a next TdF bid especially if it includes another TTT. I wonder what Wiggins and VdV would think of this, as well as Tyler...

I have to think that Wiggins and VdV see it as a positive. Takes the pressure off of them in some ways in that they are not expected to win the TdF, but also gives them more weapons in the bigger stage races. Plus, who would you consider a real GC threat next year: VdV, Wiggins or Contador? Also, I think Wiggins and VdV would have a really good shot at winning the Giro or Vuelta. Much more so than winning the TdF.

And frankly, Garmin NEEDS to sign Contador. They are in danger of becoming the odd man/team out amongst the American squads.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
personally i don't think contador wants to sign with an american team. i think he will go to caisse d'epargne so that he has alot of spanish riders backing him up.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I have to think that Wiggins and VdV see it as a positive. Takes the pressure off of them in some ways, but also gives them more weapons. Plus, who would you consider a real GC threat next year: VdV, Wiggins or Contador?

Agreed...VDV is an absolute team player. I think he knows he will not win the Tour. Wiggins...don't know, but I think he would welcome it.

Also, as was stated earlier, don't know if Contador will pass the "sniff" test?

I do not think Contador really cares about the team as long as it does not impact his ability to ride on his own. He probably thinks he needs these things: 1) sole control of team leadership, 2) decent team time trailing skill, 3) reputable and good enough to guarantee invite to TdF, 4) financing to pay his salary and bring along his helpers.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I do not think Contador really cares about the team as long as it does not impact his ability to ride on his own. He probably thinks he needs these things: 1) sole control of team leadership, 2) decent team time trailing skill, 3) reputable and good enough to guarantee invite to TdF, 4) financing to pay his salary and bring along his helpers.

To be honest...that is what all the top riders want in order to win the Tour. So he is no different.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I have to think that Wiggins and VdV see it as a positive. Takes the pressure off of them in some ways in that they are not expected to win the TdF, but also gives them more weapons in the bigger stage races. Plus, who would you consider a real GC threat next year: VdV, Wiggins or Contador? Also, I think Wiggins and VdV would have a really good shot at winning the Giro or Vuelta. Much more so than winning the TdF.

And frankly, Garmin NEEDS to sign Contador. They are in danger of becoming the odd man/team out amongst the American squads.

I would hope they'd welcome Contador in the team, who, in any case, would be a fine addition to almost any team (bar Radioshack ;).

In my post I was actually alluding to recent statements made by VdV and Wiggins.

The former, who seems to be an excellent team player, but who also dropped out of the Giro with a broken collar bone and tried to use the Giro as a prep for a good TdF. That alone should demonstrate his 'eagerness', to say the least, to ride a good TdF (or perhaps next year Giro). On top of that, as asked by the press in ref to sole leadership issues (AST, Contador/Armstrong), I believe he somehow hinted at the possibility of shared leadership, especially when taaking his own situation at Garmin with Wiggins into account. This should nonetheless detract from him being a great team mate for Wiggins this TdF.

Wiggins on the other hand proved his ability to do well in big 3 week stage races - while leaving in the middle if he could/would want to pursue the TdF podium only - and is therefore very keen on doing well next year. His ambitions and goals have obviously changed.

In this light, I was wondering how Wiggins and VdV would welcome Contador on the team.

No doubt they could potentially work something out so that Wiggins, VdV and Contador could share leadership in different races like the Vuelta, Giro and TdF...

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think he just wants a team backing him up. The language they speak is secondary.

obviously im just speculating but i get the feeling he wants to go to a team with alot of spanish riders, where he can feel more at home instead of being the outsider (?) as he has been in astana.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think he just wants a team backing him up. The language they speak is secondary.

obviously im just speculating but i get the feeling he wants to go to a team with alot spanish riders, where he can feel more at home instead of being the outsider (?) as he has been in astana.

Publicus said:

Don't discount culture, for a guy who grew up in a working class, traditional Spanish family about 20k outside Madrid.

I don't see him thus on an American team. He's had enough of the States with Armstrong I'd bet. Also because his native Spain has got every vested interest in having him on a national squad.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

I'd think VdV would be ok. Don't really know anything about Wiggo.

I gotta believe the TTT gets neutered next year.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Wiggo has earned the right to focus on a Grand Tour. Having Contador on the team can not be a good thing for him, because he'll either be forced into a support role or he'll have to choose the Grand Tour that Contador isn't riding. Unfortunately, the Giro tends to have steeper climbs, which are less suited to him, and the Vuelta is usually built for epic battles in the mountains.

Interesting questions: what will going to Garmin do to clean up Contador's reputation after all the questions about his VO2, the Vayer/LeMond allegations, and the "otra pregunta" issue? What will Contador's presence in light of the above things do to Garmin's reputation?!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I would hope they'd welcome Contador in the team, who, in any case, would be a fine addition to almost any team (bar Radioshack ;).

In my post I was actually alluding to recent statements made by VdV and Wiggins.

The former, who seems to be an excellent team player, but who also dropped out of the Giro with a broken collar bone and tried to use the Giro as a prep for a good TdF. That alone should demonstrate his 'eagerness', to say the least, to ride a good TdF (or perhaps next year Giro). On top of that, as asked by the press in ref to sole leadership issues (AST, Contador/Armstrong), I believe he somehow hinted at the possibility of shared leadership, especially when taaking his own situation at Garmin with Wiggins into account. This should nonetheless detract from him being a great team mate for Wiggins this TdF.

Wiggins on the other hand proved his ability to do well in big 3 week stage races - while leaving in the middle if he could/would want to pursue the TdF podium only - and is therefore very keen on doing well next year. His ambitions and goals have obviously changed.

In this light, I was wondering how Wiggins and VdV would welcome Contador on the team.

No doubt they could potentially work something out so that Wiggins, VdV and Contador could share leadership in different races like the Vuelta, Giro and TdF...

Given the possibility that Tour of California could compete on the schedule with the Giro I could see a low pressure ride on an American team + a Garmin teammate as featured player for TofC + phenomenal press exposure = one rich endorsement opportunity for Contador. If I was his agent I'd be thinking very strongly along those lines.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting indeed.

Contador on an American team that has disdain for Bruneal and Armstrong. Could be very interesting, and all the pieces are there for a run at the Schleks. This would give him if healthy two guys who are not podium finishers, but would bury themselves to get a Tour win for the team. Not only that Contador, love or hate him is a winner and that is infectious.

I'd love to see it...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm not totally convinced he'd pass the Garmin/JV sniff test. And even if Garmin were to clear him now, going forward he's still got some downside risk in the clinical department. Not saying he's a known doper or anything, but the appearance of possible skeletons (e.g., alleged Puerto links) seems to me to be at odds with everything we've seen/heard from Garmin so far. Recall how Johan was bitten in his backside by the Basso signing after it occurred. I think JV's a lot more risk-averse that JB where doping's concerned.

rhubroma said:
Don't discount culture, for a guy who grew up in a working class, traditional Spanish family about 20k outside Madrid.

I don't see him thus on an American team. He's had enough of the States with Armstrong I'd bet. Also because his native Spain has got every vested interest in having him on a national squad.

Don't significant number of the Garmin riders reside in Girona, Spain? I think all of the issues with Astana underscored the importance of having a solid team around him. Vandevelde and Wiggins aren't Armstrong, but they are very strong riders and Garmin fielded a quality team this year.

As for the Spanish teams, the only one that even remotely has a chance (read budget) to sign him is Caisse, but I don't see them throwing their hats into the ring until the situation with Valverde is resolved (which frankly has been REALLY quiet).

The dark horse would Cervelo. Sastre doesn't have it anymore....

powerste said:
I'm not totally convinced he'd pass the Garmin/JV sniff test. And even if Garmin were to clear him now, going forward he's still got some downside risk in the clinical department. Not saying he's a known doper or anything, but the appearance of possible skeletons (e.g., alleged Puerto links) seems to me to be at odds with everything we've seen/heard from Garmin so far. Recall how Johan was bitten in his backside by the Basso signing after it occurred. I think JV's a lot more risk-averse that JB where doping's concerned.

They were close to signing him before the Tour, so that makes it seem that they've seen his biological passport and they were ok with it.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

They better not sit in his seat.

Supporting Tyler Farrar in the sprints would seem to be at odds with Contador's stated goal of 100% support for him. Can't recall a team offhand that has won GC and field sprints in a modern Tour; I think it would be difficult to do.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
mrbadog said:
Supporting Tyler Farrar in the sprints would seem to be at odds with Contador's stated goal of 100% support for him. Can't recall a team offhand that has won GC and field sprints in a modern Tour; I think it would be difficult to do.

Just a thought, but I would not have Farrar in the TdF where Cavendish will outsprint him. Put him (Farrar) in one of the other GTs and let him win a few stages (if possible - there's Petacchi, Hushovd and - hopefully - Boonen to contend with) and in a few years, who knows. Also, most teams should be able to support a GC contender and a sprinter. (Not that Cervelo could do either this year!) ;) - do agree though, the likelihood of one team winning yellow and green is pretty slim. (Last happened in '97, I think?)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:
Just a thought, but I would not have Farrar in the TdF where Cavendish will outsprint him. Put him (Farrar) in one of the other GTs and let him win a few stages (if possible - there's Petacchi, Hushovd and - hopefully - Boonen to contend with) and in a few years, who knows. Also, most teams should be able to support a GC contender and a sprinter. (Not that Cervelo could do either this year!) ;) - do agree though, the likelihood of one team winning yellow and green is pretty slim. (Last happened in '97, I think?)

Slightly OT, but re Farar. He speaks quite a bit of dutch (so I assume he lived and raced in Belgium) and expressed his love for Belgian classics like P-R and RvV. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd like to shift focus as well...

Equivalent of Boonen?

TRENDING THREADS