• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Derailleur Cable Routing

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I notice several pro bikes have their dérailleur cables routed under their handlebar tape. Which shifters allow this type of routing and are they available to non-pros yet?
Thanks

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
All Campagnolo (even cheap Veloce stuff) and I believe SRAM. Probably higher-end Shimano now too, I just don't have any. Yeah, anybody can get it.

avanti said:
I notice several pro bikes have their dérailleur cables routed under their handlebar tape. Which shifters allow this type of routing and are they available to non-pros yet?
Thanks

ALL Campagnolo since 1992, Sram(Red, Force, Rival) since their intro about 3 years ago and 2009 shimano 7900(DuraAce) and 6700(Ultegra)...105 mid summer. Go visit a bike shop dear Liezza.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
ALL Campagnolo since 1992, Sram(Red, Force, Rival) since their intro about 3 years ago and 2009 shimano 7900(DuraAce) and 6700(Ultegra)...105 mid summer. Go visit a bike shop dear Liezza.

I think it looks outstanding. Saw a cannondale super6 at a shop with sram cables very nicely routed and it just LOOKED great and despite my inner voice telling me to not get so hung up on aesthetics, it was much better than the mess emanating from 9sp 105.

BUT .. are there any problems with such routing? Are there any benefits other than the aesthetics?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
I think it looks outstanding. Saw a cannondale super6 at a shop with sram cables very nicely routed and it just LOOKED great and despite my inner voice telling me to not get so hung up on aesthetics, it was much better than the mess emanating from 9sp 105.

BUT .. are there any problems with such routing? Are there any benefits other than the aesthetics?

I have them on my Ultegra equipped bike. I haven't had any noticeable problems. They might actually slow response time due to the additional bends and distance the cable must travel, but it's probably such a miniscule amount, I don't even notice, or I'm just so used to it. I have done some re-routing on FS mountain bikes for some racers that were complaing shifting and breaking was hindered due to cable routing around FS systems. Road bikes though, never.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
No trouble on my Campagnolo. The cables are never in the way of your hands when you switch positions (I know - minor issue). Just get the routing right under the tape so you don't have lumps anyplace you put your hands.

ravens said:

Just like under the tape routing of brake cables, ohhh so long ago..it's about looks, not function. Makes changing them more difficult, can make the inner wire inside the housing smoothness, essential for derailleurs, not quite as smooth..marketing. One does it, then other do too, just like brakes. Nobody has designed a mountain bike with all internal, under some tape or something, housing for brakes and ders...please no mention about aerodynamics on a road bike. A 5mm housing in the breeze isn't going to make any difference.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Just like under the tape routing of brake cables, ohhh so long ago..it's about looks, not function. Makes changing them more difficult, can make the inner wire inside the housing smoothness, essential for derailleurs, not quite as smooth..marketing. One does it, then other do too, just like brakes. Nobody has designed a mountain bike with all internal, under some tape or something, housing for brakes and ders...please no mention about aerodynamics on a road bike. A 5mm housing in the breeze isn't going to make any difference.

I have seen plenty of moutain bikes with internal cable routing through the frame. I actually got curious one day at the shop and tried to figure out ways it was possible to run them internally or atleast with the bars, but the shape of the bars and location of the levers/shifters prevent it. Not to mention the lack of bar tape on mountain bikes. :rolleyes:

Hey it was a slow day at the shop, and I wanted to experiment.