• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dertie Contador's allergies and his TUEs

Dertie has been cracking out his 'allergies' excuse again. To go alongside his 'epilepsy' medication (although it is of course one step up from genital warts/**** boil excuses, and the asthmatic sprinters and 'dental problems')

Does anyone know what drugs he can now take for his allergies/epilepsy and their potential benefits/masking agents?

What does a good quality TUE enable you to take that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to take?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Dertie has been cracking out his 'allergies' excuse again. To go alongside his 'epilepsy' medication (although it is of course one step up from genital warts/**** boil excuses, and the asthmatic sprinters and 'dental problems')

Does anyone know what drugs he can now take for his allergies/epilepsy and their potential benefits/masking agents?

What does a good quality TUE enable you to take that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to take?

TUE would allow a level of Albuteral and other anabolics to be injested for symptom relief or asthmatic attack prevention. Boonen went over limit and his explanation was taking too many hits from his inhaler.
Assuming a rider was taking other anabolics and maintaining a lower level he has a ready-made explanation for the having those drugs in his system. If he tests too high; he could apply the Boonen defense.
Having suffered with seasonal respiratory problems my doctor prescribed the same things. They didn't help and the health warnings didn't seem compelling for a symptom that only really affected me when I raced. I'm not a pro so the practical and ethical thing for me was to stop taking them. That doesn't mean they don't provide relief for others...that's why they were developed in the first place.

A

Anonymous

Mrs John Murphy said:

He has enough TUE excuse to win the tour. Bet on it. Pistoldor is as dirty as the portajon.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Judging by his result in the Criterium International I hope he takes more of it, whatever that may be. If anyone can spread some pollen around him it will also help making a more entertaining Tour next July :D:D:D

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
A TUE for corticoid is probably the easiest to get and abuse. Testing for it cannot reveal its how it had been administered (topical, oral, intramuscular). The benefits of cortico's has been widely discussed.

Hadn't Petacchi taken so much that the only way it could have been consumed was intravenously? ie it would be physically impossible to consume as much of the drug as he had done using an inhaler.

The question is really - how legitimate are the claims that riders are making for TUE's? Dertie claims allergies, epilepsy and can take a lot of drugs that he wouldn't be allowed to take otherwise. The system seems ripe to abuse and I am doubtful if Dertie suffers from either of the things he claims. (I notice that the EPO link to his fall/seizure has been removed from his wikipedia entry).

For someone who is so ill and unwell it is truly 'amazing' how Dertie rides.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Hadn't Petacchi taken so much that the only way it could have been consumed was intravenously? ie it would be physically impossible to consume as much of the drug as he had done using an inhaler.

No. He was not terribly far above the legal limit, and even the CAS said he probably didn't do it for performance enhancement.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/may08/may06news2

Susan

Susan Westemeyer said:
No. He was not terribly far above the legal limit, and even the CAS said he probably didn't do it for performance enhancement.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/may08/may06news2

Susan

That isn't the whole story though is it? He was 30% over his TUE limit and a test showed that it hadn't been consumed via inhalation (this test result was kicked at CAS because it didn't have proper creditation - but that doesn't mean the test was wrong).

Cyclists do have a habit of coming up with implausible excuses - from piles to invisible twins.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Dertie has been cracking out his 'allergies' excuse again....What does a good quality TUE enable you to take that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to take?

i think the "allergy" excuse is less about getting a TUE and more an excuse/explanation for the jump in form that will happen at tour time compared to when he appeared subpar at the crit international and blamed allergies.

"allergies" is used to explain why he is not very dominant at that time -- due to a lack of blood supplementation. it is similar to armstrong's excuses at gila and now he pops up in much better "form" suddenly in time for the wind up for the tour. remember ullrich being dropped after 50 K in the ardennes only to win the giro time trial or ride people off his wheel in the mountains of the tour de suisse. this "preparation" and "peaking" (as they call it) is basically when they start stuffing their arteries with extras.

think about it. how does armstrong go from 8th over a minute down on an under 23 rider (at gila for chrissakes!) to now being one of the top riders at luxembourg with practically no racing, an injury and travel to Europe (let alone a scandal!)...? this is ferrari's first step. there will be another jump for the tour de suisse and then the tour...when armstrong podiums or makes top 5 at the tour it makes the sport utterly ridiculous.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
i think the "allergy" excuse is less about getting a TUE and more an excuse/explanation for the jump in form that will happen at tour time compared to when he appeared subpar at the crit international and blamed allergies.

"allergies" is used to explain why he is not very dominant at that time -- due to a lack of blood supplementation. it is similar to armstrong's excuses at gila and now he pops up in much better "form" suddenly in time for the wind up for the tour. remember ullrich being dropped after 50 K in the ardennes only to win the giro time trial or ride people off his wheel in the mountains of the tour de suisse. this "preparation" and "peaking" (as they call it) is basically when they start stuffing their arteries with extras.

think about it. how does armstrong go from 8th over a minute down on an under 23 rider (at gila for chrissakes!) to now being one of the top riders at luxembourg with practically no racing, an injury and travel to Europe (let alone a scandal!)...? this is ferrari's first step. there will be another jump for the tour de suisse and then the tour...when armstrong podiums or makes top 5 at the tour it makes the sport utterly ridiculous.

What you are referencing is part of why some riders can go from sub-par to winning. Although, there are many other reasons.

The concept of using races for training often means riders will do a large volume of training, arrive at a race with a high level of fatigue, race through it and even ride before/after a stage for extra work, THEN rest to build for a peak at the targeted event. Sure, all of this happens concurrently with previous blood draws, EPO use to build back the volume, HGH/T to recover quicker and then later re-infusion of the drawn/store blood.

So, those who can't understand this remain baffled at how a youngster can put the wood to top riders, and then suddenly the top riders go win a larger event against better competition.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
i agree with the poster who said they didnt care his health is the priority and the last thing we want to see is contador having an epileptic fit

it breachs human rights to not allow the use of these medicines and so he should be allowed to take it and the same applies to any other athlete in the same situation it is merely humane

Assuming that he is telling the truth about needing epilepsy medicine. No one wants to see a rider having an asthma attack. The point is that riders have been claiming TUE's and the drugs that this allows for illnesses and medical problems that they don't have.

Think about the Uniballer's genital warts/**** boil problem. No one wants to see anyone have **** problems but...

A

Anonymous

Go Girl!

Mrs John Murphy said:

You tell it like it is Lance! That spanishpussy using his so called "brain problem" so he can take more dope. Why can't he just die from a brain hemorage at the side of the road like a real man?

You may just be a robot but yer doing good.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Assuming that he is telling the truth about needing epilepsy medicine. No one wants to see a rider having an asthma attack. The point is that riders have been claiming TUE's and the drugs that this allows for illnesses and medical problems that they don't have.

Think about the Uniballer's genital warts/**** boil problem. No one wants to see anyone have **** problems but...

That can also explain lowered results during his allergy season. Generally with medication you are still pretty vulnerable. You'd have to ride within your limits to avoid an attack. If you suck down enough pollen; it doesn't matter as the result is pretty sudden...think anaphalactic shock type of physical response. Then you just stop.

Like I say - riders claim they have all sorts of problems - that doesn't necessarily make them as severe as they claim. Dertie's story has changed several times.

If Dertie is abusing TUE's then the Hog, Uniballer and Saiz taught him well.

brewerjeff said:
You tell it like it is Lance! That spanishpussy using his so called "brain problem" so he can take more dope. Why can't he just die from a brain hemorage at the side of the road like a real man?

Like I say - riders claim they have all sorts of problems - that doesn't necessarily make them as severe as they claim. Dertie's story has changed several times.

If Dertie is abusing TUE's then the Hog, Uniballer and Saiz taught him well.

Oldman - yes, although very convenient for Dertie.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
brewerjeff said:

lmao:D I fake brain hemorrhages often myself:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS