• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Detection-window for EPO ?

My question is this: If an athlete uses EPO, how long time have the testers got to make the test that will detect it ?

I ask this question because it came to my attention that norwegian biathlete E.H.Svendsen had complained about the lack of testing, after not being tested for 7 months ! After that he had now got tested a few times. In the article it is mentioned that he had chosen a "meeting time" with testers, so that he had to be available for testing early in the morning.

Am I wrong or are we not talking about just hours when it comes to how quick tests need to be made to reveal microdosing of epo ?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
depends on if it is a full moon or not. Supposedly. Jonny Vaughters said it alters gravity, and might increase the glow time.

then depens if you mailine it with an IV, or subcutaneous, or put it in between your toes or under your nail.s

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Armchaircyclist said:
My question is this: If an athlete uses EPO, how long time have the testers got to make the test that will detect it ?

I ask this question because it came to my attention that norwegian biathlete E.H.Svendsen had complained about the lack of testing, after not being tested for 7 months ! After that he had now got tested a few times. In the article it is mentioned that he had chosen a "meeting time" with testers, so that he had to be available for testing early in the morning.

Am I wrong or are we not talking about just hours when it comes to how quick tests need to be made to reveal microdosing of epo ?

this has been addressed several times before but i will summarize it again...

in general, the synthetic epo detection (provided the lab complied with proper standards) depends on:

(i) dose taken (therapeutic, maintenance, micro-dose)
(ii) route of administration (subcutaneous, intravenous)
(iii) sample matrix (urine, blood)
(iv) test type (a classic epo test using electrophoresis, or newer immunoassay about to be introduced...)
(v) time passed between giving 2 consecutive samples
(vi) biochemical individuality (presence/absence of illness, altitude etc)

so, assuming the testers do their due diligence within the rules (and that's what an intelligent rider must assume !) and a rider is advised by a sophisticated doping doctor - the classic epo test can still be easily beaten.

this is how, and this was known for at least a decade !

according to tyler (as confirmed by the affidavits of several riders from the usada case against armstrong) here is what they did:

inject a micro-dose of 10 iu per 1 kg of body weight intravenously at 10:01 pm. repeat every second day...

it was believed (not unreasonably, biochemically speaking) that by the morning when the testers would typically show up at about 7am, it will be gone from the circulation and very likely their urine.

keep in mind that according to legal standards in civilized countries, (though technically, wada allows testing 24/7) the riders are entitle to their undisturbed night rest. dopers, of course, abuse the right.

Python: Thanks for a very informative reply.

Interesting by the way, that E.H.Svendsen who finished second in the last two world cups, and won 3 years ago, could go untested for 7 months in Norway. We're supposed to be at the forefront of anti-doping and testing, I wonder how much the competition is tested then.