• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di2 or Super Record 11

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If you had to choose between the new electronic or the new 11 spd which would you pick? Let's not make this a Shimano vs Campy but 11spd vs electronic.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Definately the Campy 11, and I've been riding DA for years.

I don't want to have a group whose shifting is dependent on a battery and electronics. I'm pretty sure Shimano have all reliability issues sorted, but I'm more confidnt in mechanical cables to get me back home every time.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I am happy to stick with my DA 7800 for a couple of years for this reason, but that doesn't answer your question
Between the two I would go 11
I want the Di2 to be great, remember Mavic..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
electronic DA

i've tried the electronic dura-ace on a shimano demo bike and believe me it is amazing. i dunno if you guys saying campy have tried it but it feels like nothing else. you press a button and the shift is impeccable. just precision shifting front and rear. and with a time trial setup you can have shifters on the brake levers for easy shifting when climbing. very handy for triathlon/time trial.
11 spd is a good idea..if you can afford a new chain every 500km. doesnt excite me

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
tideridestride said:
i've tried the electronic dura-ace on a shimano demo bike and believe me it is amazing. i dunno if you guys saying campy have tried it but it feels like nothing else. you press a button and the shift is impeccable. just precision shifting front and rear. and with a time trial setup you can have shifters on the brake levers for easy shifting when climbing. very handy for triathlon/time trial.
11 spd is a good idea..if you can afford a new chain every 500km. doesnt excite me

Indeed, I think Di2 is amazing. Probably the best shifting I've even seen.

The only downside is the cost, which is really excessive.

As for Campag, I still don't see how 11speed is much of an improvement on 10speed? Its hardly a major breakthrough. I think the Next real question of Di2 will be whether or not it can match Capag electronic systems and match the costs.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
tefloncat said:
If you had to choose between the new electronic or the new 11 spd which would you pick? Let's not make this a Shimano vs Campy but 11spd vs electronic.

Di2, altho tested extensively, is very new. ZAP and Mektronic worked initially also.

Tough to 'feel' the Di2 shift levers with winter gloves on.

If ya fall and kill a RD, it's gonna be expensive.

Di2 is compatible with 7900 other bits only, like the crank and brakes. Big ring for the crank is $345..ouch.

Comfy levers, cross compatibility, lever repairability..SR 11s.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
tefloncat said:

So if I have this choice then money isn't the issue - so if I stack it I can afford the replacement :D, so bring on the electronic age.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tideridestride said:

The 11 speed chains last just as long as the previous 10 speed chains did, maybe better time will tell.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The advancements in Campy 11 are not in the extra gear, they are in the materials and the design.

That said I think SR is not really a great deal, I would rather have 2 Chorus 11 groups at that price, so if choosing between SR 11 and Di2 I would take Shimano's group just to try it out.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
tideridestride said:

More misinformation about 11s. The chain lasts just like a 10s chain or 9s chain. measure it and replace it when it has 1/16 inch 'stretch'.."About" every 2000-2500 miles or so, but cleanliness, cross chaining, etc means YMMV but 500 km(300 mile) chain it is not.

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
Cables are cables, but braided steel cables are far more reliable and robust than delicate electrical cables. There's less to go wrong between the 'switch' and the 'motor'.

As with computer software, a good tip is to wait until after 'v.3.0' before installing.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This what I really would like to see is a comparison with actual time on each! I personally will be pulling the trigger on one or the other and always value others opinions. (But in the end one must make their own decision).

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
James Huang said:
I'm not going to say one way or the other but let me ask all of you this:

How many of you have actually ridden both?

I can give a 'hands up' to both, but only on a test rig with the Di2 set up. Both impress, but new equipment usually does.

Red still floats my boat....

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd go with Di2. They are both insultingly expensive, and at least the Shimano does something very different.

Full disclosure: I've never liked Campy shifters, and I ride SRAM stuff.

A

Anonymous

Couple of references to Mavic here. The big problem that system had was that to execute the shift it had to 'steal' motion from the chain because UCI rules at the time forbade any aspect of a bike being powered. Some interesting stuff from Jobst Brandt here:

http://yarchive.net/bike/mavic_zap.html

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:

Haven't driven a Subaru WRX with electronic paddle shifters or a Ferrari F40 either but pretty sure neither are really necessary for guys just riding around. My complaint with Di2, in addition to his high dollar cost is the 'need' to convert all else(crank and brakes) to 7900. SR is expensive also but Chorus 11s gives identical performance at 1/2 the cost. Nothing less expensive or more compatible gives the 'electric experience'.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This is not really a fair comparison. Di2 is expected to cost around $4000 just for the groupo. That's significantly more expensive than Super Record (which I already find over-priced).

A better comparison is Dura-Ace 7900 vs. Super Record. Similar weight and pricing.

I would go for the campy based on the simplicity of the cable setup and the general performance that it delivers regardless of circumstances. Another factor is serviceability. I know that on Campy if it breaks you can fix it by replacing the small part that broke not the component that it is housed in. Replacement costs are lower and a $400 chainring for "better shifting", I am sure that I will not notice the slightly "crisper" shifting on the front for the several dozen shifts per ride! Nuts.

Shimano performs very well but the underlying engineering is not user friendly. My bias is towards, reliability, serviceability and, durability. Shimano does not measure up.

Also aesthetically speaking I think that Shimano has left the reservation (I ride Dura-Ace by the way). The new groups are hard on the eyes (those cranks...well even their mother would admit that they are ugly).

I will be moving to Campy when my Dura-Ace wears out, this is after 20 years of running variations of Dura-Ace. Where will I go; Chorus. It is a version of record with heavier materials but equal performance and durability. Ultegra is not a version of Dura-Ace, it is a poor inbreed cousin.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:

Not SR11, but Di2 and Record10, is SR11 that much different to R10?
I look at the question as more philosophical, cable V electric
As I said, at the moment I WANT Di2 to work, but in this context I would go S11

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I asked myself the same question about two months ago, when I said it was time to upgrade. I went with SR11. No regrets so far. For us who need to pay for our equipment, it all comes down to personal preference, as with anything else.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have ridden Dura Ace Electric after it was set up by a Shimano tech and it worked amazingly! Truely one of the coolest bike rides I have ever been on. I kind of fear purchasing it though and I am not sure that its worth the cost. I would probably be happier in the long run with the Campy.