• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

did anyone know Danielson is one quarter eskimo

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
One quarter eskimo? Or 15% eskimo? And how the heck can you be 15% eskimo :rolleyes:

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...danielson+eskimo+vaughters&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...danielson+eskimo+vaughters&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk

I think we may find out Dan Martin is two thirds sherpa :D

Danielson is definitely riding like an Afghanistan mountain goat, so whatever JV is doing, it sure is working. Good stuff Tommy, we should be able to sell a truckload of the coffee. If only we can get back Kristin's corner. A personal fave.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
One quarter eskimo? Or 15% eskimo? And how the heck can you be 15% eskimo :rolleyes:

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...danielson+eskimo+vaughters&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...danielson+eskimo+vaughters&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk

Danielson is definitely riding like an Afghanistan mountain goat, so whatever JV is doing, it sure is working. Good stuff Tommy, we should be able to sell a truckload of the coffee. If only we can get back Kristin's corner. A personal fave.

Fark, when I read the interview I was laughing so hard.

We’ve done tests and he does not utilize fat very well. He was burning sugar almost exclusively. When you burn sugar you become more acidic and after three and a half, four hours, he really couldn’t perform at the same level as he did one hour in. He couldn’t do anything at the end of a six hour race.

So I said, ‘We gotta teach you to burn fat as fuel. How well do you produce power after six hours and three or four 20-30 minute efforts?’

Tom had to work on his ability to burn fat. We completely changed his diet. We moved him away from the standard carbohydrates. He was eating a lot of nuts, a lot of protein and guacamole. For the first two months he was bonking on every ride. He was cursing me on every ride. Now he’s up to six hour rides not finishing all the Clif bars in his pockets.

He practically admits that he's using AICAR.

Why does he come out and says such nonsense? Why not just shut up? Is he toying with us on purpose?

I didn’t even know AICAR was available until you told me about it.
Sure you didn't. :rolleyes:

A little information about muscles: There's fast twitch fibers and slow twitch fibers. Slow twitch are more effective, they burn fat in an aerobe fashion, and they produce less lactic acid. Fast twitch (there's two types actually) are less effective, they burn more glucose in a more anaerobe way, and they produce more lactic acid.

There is little scientific evidence that one can change fast twitch fibers to slow twitch fibers by exercise! There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever this could be done by changing the diet (as suggested by JV). Eskimo genetics or not. JV insults out intelligence. No shred of credibility left.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Squares this is not the reason all ice bound bike shops have those Idarod double wheel time trial bikes. The reason that Eskimos and da wits are not in pro cycling is whale meat is not allowed in the feed zone and harpooning the chase group is looked down on. TD is 15% slow and better do something in this race or he is out of the igloo.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
This is funny stuff!

Q: And yet there are still some rumblings. There has been some criticism of the UCI biopassport and other testing procedures. Both David Walsh and Greg LeMond have criticized the passport.

A: OK, I like David and Greg both. But if you’re going to criticize something that’s that scientifically evolved as a mechanism, you need to be doing it from a perspective of knowledge instead of a perspective of “I think.” I haven’t seen criticisms from a perspective of knowledge.

Q: Mike Ashenden has gone on the record saying that the passport is beatable. He’s a proponent, but he’s saying guys already can beat it.

A: Fair enough; you can beat federal taxes, too. But what happens to you? You can beat the taxes but you might get caught. Do you want to find out?

Yes, and I think a lot of people get away with beating taxes (also).

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

It must have come up within the Biological Passport!
Now we know what it is used for.

I noticed too the fluctuations from 15% to 25% - someone should do up a graph!

Of course maybe the 25% is during the off-season, spending time in a colder region, drinking to much coolaid with ice and fishing.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
"Tom hated me. Because I was like “We just have to put you on a super low-carb diet.” He said he was walking around bonked all the time. Like training bonked, watching TV bonked."

Accusations aside that cracked me up. Reminds me of my weight loss rides in winter, I'd bonk getting dressed beforehand :D

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:

I have gone over every scenario I can think of, including cousins, direct incest, and various beastality fetishes and I cannot for the life of me come up with anything but an even denominator that is a factor of 2...seriously, I am at a loss...maybe it is genetic doping?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
If Patrick did this interview over the phone or in person, maybe Vaughters said fifty and Patrick heard fifteen. Some people really don't say those words distinctly enough to tell them apart. Even Americans.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I have gone over every scenario I can think of, including cousins, direct incest, and various beastality fetishes and I cannot for the life of me come up with anything but an even denominator that is a factor of 2...seriously, I am at a loss...maybe it is genetic doping?

One great-grandparent (12.5%) and one great-great-great-grandparent (3.1%) on the other side of the family would get you pretty close. A typo in the 2nd article is a simpler explanation. IMO lots of reporting is very sloppy with the detail, and it doesn't pay to read too much into it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
seriously TFF, try and use your imagination a little. Don't think you are taxing your grey matter as you should on such a question :D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

I'm going to assume everyone read the interview. AICAR and all the new wonder drugs sound appealing. However what caught my eye was JV bragging about the media valuation. "We're pushing $90 million in value." No Jonathan you are not. Does that figure appear on any offical financial statements? Not a chance with your team budget or any pro cycling squad for that matter. Good work with the management accountants and the marketing department misleading the public with outright lies regarding advertising expenditure. Accounting regulations stipulate you measure at value, (historic cost or market value) which in this case is the $100,000 for the ad block. Multiplying it by four because of viewing time is just PR bull$#%@. Sounds like Garmin is following the tv ratings mentality, use spin and some shonky math and statistics to tell the market, "look at how much value we generated." In simple terms the company records the value they spent and not the PR/marketing figure that is neither reliable or relevant, two important terms in financial matters.

With this lovely piece of PR work how can anyone take the rest of the article seriously? I'm more inclined to think that JV is pulling the blinkers over the audiences eyes regarding Danielson. Why would he be expected to change tact half way throught an interview? I read last week in LA Confidential that JV is supposedly more intelligent than the general peloton population. He'd have to be to try the above and have it go unnoticed. Sadly most people are ignorant enought to believe his figures. Ignorant in the sense they do not have proficient knowledge to realise they're being lied to. The interview appears to be the work of the marketing department with some clever management accounting thrown in for good measure.

JV if you read this I'd love for a response. I don't think I'll get one.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
And nobody has even mentioned the claim that Danielson gained 5 kilos during the Giro. Even a full blooded Inuit would have to eat 2 donuts every 10kms and a gallon of ice cream every night on top of his regular food intake to gain 5 kilos during a GT.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
And nobody has even mentioned the claim that Danielson gained 5 kilos during the Giro. Even a full blooded Inuit would have to eat 2 donuts every 10kms and a gallon of ice cream every night on top of his regular food intake to gain 5 kilos during a GT.

well, he may have added a kilo or two, and JV fudged it.
stage 9
DSCN2186.jpg

ttt training, so, 11 days before?

PIC28020672.jpg

JV I reckon is fudging more than Armstrong and Public Strategies. Wiggins losing 11kgs from Jan 2008, and now Tommy D stacking on the kilos and being a candidate for GP Jenny Craig.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
http://www.sirotti.it/pagina.asp?id=55643&corridore=Danielson+Thomas

these are the best pics, of TD in the Giro. If he put on 5 kgs, I will go "he".

But, not ruling out he actually put on one or two kgs. He actually came into the Giro over race-weight. Still no body fat, just too much weight for a grimpeur. He looked healthy. But 5kgs? Come on, lets be clear, no spin.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
JV needs to shave the "burns" off!!! Him continuing to rock that assinine facial hair makes me laugh my *** off. He comes off as a pseudo intellectual, nothing more! Eskimo crap, are you kidding me.

Galic Ho said:
I'm going to assume everyone read the interview. AICAR and all the new wonder drugs sound appealing. However what caught my eye was JV bragging about the media valuation. "We're pushing $90 million in value." No Jonathan you are not. Does that figure appear on any offical financial statements? Not a chance with your team budget or any pro cycling squad for that matter. Good work with the management accountants and the marketing department misleading the public with outright lies regarding advertising expenditure. Accounting regulations stipulate you measure at value, (historic cost or market value) which in this case is the $100,000 for the ad block. Multiplying it by four because of viewing time is just PR bull$#%@. Sounds like Garmin is following the tv ratings mentality, use spin and some shonky math and statistics to tell the market, "look at how much value we generated." In simple terms the company records the value they spent and not the PR/marketing figure that is neither reliable or relevant, two important terms in financial matters.

Yup. I read that and laughed. If the team were really generating $90M in advertising value then the obvious question is why can they only get about a tenth of that figure from their sponsors. Why can't they get a third of that figure, which would give them $30M in sponsorship per year? The acid test is what price something can be sold for when companies are ponying up real money, not what sort of fantastical figures you can arrive at through dubious math.

His figure of $15M for Contador is also laughable. If it were true then why can't Contador's manager get someone to pay a significant percentage of that in salary? Why isn't Contador being paid something like $10M/year by a team.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yup. I read that and laughed. If the team were really generating $90M in advertising value then the obvious question is why can they only get about a tenth of that figure from their sponsors. Why can't they get a third of that figure, which would give them $30M in sponsorship per year? The acid test is what price something can be sold for when companies are ponying up real money, not what sort of fantastical figures you can arrive at through dubious math.

His figure of $15M for Contador is also laughable. If it were true then why can't Contador's manager get someone to pay a significant percentage of that in salary? Why isn't Contador being paid something like $10M/year by a team.
was not that Wiggins' price?

Flawed logic, Wiggins role is fungible. Wiggins is not worth 15 million US$, when you can convince Marc Couke he is better without Evans, and does not even have to pay a break fee. Break fees are stupid when the riders will be free agents in one year. If he was worth 15 million, will Sky pay him 15 per year? No chance.

I reckon the way Silence treated Evans, they would probably prefer to keep their 2 million euro, in their pocket, and buy another Belge rider. Evans leaves in 2011 anyhow.

Fungible, out Wiggins, defacto Vande Velde, substitute Evans, or Leipheimer, who would be alot cheaper than 15 million! How many GC riders are cheaper than Wiggins and will be better than him in 2010 in the Queen stage? Nibali, Landis, Rogers (on the same program)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Could be. I skimmed the article, and I may have misremembered. Regardless, the point stands. No rider is worth anywhere near $15M. We can see that because no rider gets paid anywhere near that figure.
that was what JV estimated Wiggins' component in the 90 million. Or the 70 million, however much value they achieved.

Point is, his publicity component is fungible, if you can grab an equivalent substitute. And I posit there are substitutes, so JV's formula is flawed.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Thoughtforfood said:

Tyler's chimera perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS