• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did anyone see Cav getting blocked - I didn't

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
From the news:
Until a kilometre to go, when Cavendish’s team took over it had looked hectic as other teams’ trains tried to get in on the act. And Cavendish reacted angrily to an incident at 2km to go, when a Skil-Shimano rider – falsely identified by Cavendish as Kenny Van Hummel, though it was apparently it was Piet Rooijakkers – appeared to make contact.

"He had his hands off the bars and hit me in the final 2km," said Cavendish. "I’m going to have to speak to him about that – it’s a really dangerous stunt. It’s a privilege to be here riding the Tour de France and you shouldn’t be doing things like that."

I didn't see this, and it wasn't shown in the replays on British Eurosport after the finish. Has anyone any further info?

A

Anonymous

nathanbloke said:
From the news:

I didn't see this, and it wasn't shown in the replays on British Eurosport after the finish. Has anyone any further info?

He appears to be talking about being bumped not blocked. Different matter altogether. There was a ton of bumping going on. Boonen is the one that came out on the losing end of it.

The last K was very physical.

jackhammer111 said:
He appears to be talking about being bumped not blocked. Different matter altogether. There was a ton of bumping going on. Boonen is the one that came out on the losing end of it.

The last K was very physical

Yeah, that was one of the most jittery finishes I've ever seen. It seemed Columbia was pretty much in control, but the line kept bouncing around the road. I figured it was only a matter of time before something (or someone) went down.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Cav's on the far right, right? If so, looks like Cav bumps the guy to the left and then that guy gets pushed right back at Cav by someone (looks like a liquigas jersey?) and this contact nearly knocks Cav off the road.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
Cav's on the far right, right? If so, looks like Cav bumps the guy to the left and then that guy gets pushed right back at Cav by someone (looks like a liquigas jersey?) and this contact nearly knocks Cav off the road.

I'll have to rewatch it more closely. I only saw some shoulder bumping. Nothing that raised any eyebrows though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
from telegraaf.nl:

Rooijakkers said to have been pushed by the Frenchman Lloyd Mondory. "I actually ended up in the train-Cavendish, that almost pulled me off the bike. Then I hit back. "

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I saw plenty of the usual shoulders bumping and elbows flying that you see in the first few sprinter stages at the Tour from just about every team in the front - it was a rough finish. The only possible "block" that I saw was Renshaw's very narrow peel off that blocked (possibly deliberate as Renshaw knows better) Farrar's ability to swing out of Cav's slipstream forcing Farrar to slow down in the last few meters while Cav pulled further away.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
I'll have to rewatch it more closely. I only saw some shoulder bumping. Nothing that raised any eyebrows though.

I think it went back and forth a couple of time before the one that almost knocked cav into the weeds. I think the overreacted a bit but not everyone is going to roll over for the great cav.

No block at the end. Sometime the last guy doesn't swing out so wide as when there is still a bunch. There was enough gap, there was time. There were nowhere near enough legs..

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
bchambers said:
I saw plenty of the usual shoulders bumping and elbows flying that you see in the first few sprinter stages at the Tour from just about every team in the front - it was a rough finish. The only possible "block" that I saw was Renshaw's very narrow peel off that blocked (possibly deliberate as Renshaw knows better) Farrar's ability to swing out of Cav's slipstream forcing Farrar to slow down in the last few meters while Cav pulled further away.

Pretty sure that Farrar could not suggest he was unlucky in that sprint, if he couldn’t get around the Columbia lead out man in that situation things are not looking to good for the Garmin sprinter.

Sorry to state the obvious here but its certainly worth looking a bit deeper into the final kms in stage 2 to understand Cavendish’s reaction to the Rooijakkers (Skil Shimano), as there is an etiquette, and that etiquette is to be set by the higher profile riders. Although yes, it is rougher early in a stage race when a sprinting peer group is still being established, with the sprinters working out who they will let in and who they believe should be behind them (as they have little confidence in that riders skills and ability).

It should be also noted the differences between a sprinter with an organised team lead out and those considered opportunist. Obviously an opportunist that splits a team will not be popular as will cause a dangerous situation, (and as opposed to that of the amateurs) a team will not just lead out the someone else once the team is split, hence that group will slow and no one will be advantaged (not even the opportunist). So the opportunist should be fighting for the spot behind the leading team, it he is pushing over on the best sprinter in the race and splitting his team pretty safe to say he is getting in the road and causing erratic racing.

Sorry to state the obvious but in stage 2 you had two duelling teams; Cavs Columbia’s Team and his former team mate, Ciolek’s Milram team with a point to prove in full flight, if you get in the road while that’s happen you will not be popular, (esp if you are will a wildcard team, what was he thinking, I am happy not to be in his shoes, their is a sprinter peer group out there and Rooijakkers is now pretty low in the rankings.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
My Dutch is pretty rusty- can anyone tell me what Piet was saying in the clip (thanks for the link)? I get the gist of it, but couldn't work out if Cav was refusing to leave the Columbia bus, or the Skil rider realised that he didn't have a hope of gaining an audience.

My English must be rusty as well- was that a friendly pat on the shoulder as the green jersey passed at the end of the clip, or was it more of a 'Oi, you, gerroutamyway'?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Cavendish = Mega Jerk.
Ican't stand him. *venting, needs link to "people in cycling you'd like to kick in the balls* :p

I am not trying to decide whether Cavendish is a good bloke off the bike or not, I for some reason thought this was a cycling forum, why do people hijack topics to say what their personal opinion is of a high profile cyclist personality is..
Surely people can understand a tdf sprint is a chaotic dangerous environment, so there is etiquette, and there is a peer group, so there are things and places a lower profile opportunist sprinter should not do or go, otherwise there will be consequences. Sure people on this website should understand if you push in or split a train there will be consequences, its just how a bunch organises itself

Is this a Gossip Women Magazine - I am not talking about whether Rooijakkers is a nice person or Cavendish has good manners, I am talking about cycling.

I already posted this in the other thread.

The video speaks for itself...
Ridiculous stuff by Cavendish. Absolutly unaccetable.

I don't even want to start on his reaction after the race...
I didn't expect it to be any diffrent though.

In my opinion the guy should be pulled out of the tour.
But your name and what is "good" for the sport protects you in cycling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
a one month suspension should suffice for pulling those stunts on the bike. And for being an a$$ off the bike, he should be suspended another month. A double whammy for damaging the image of cycling, according to the latest UCI and ASO's statutes...

May 26, 2009
Visit site
+ 1

The Columbia train need to realise it's not the job of the rest of the peloton to get out of their way. I'd have loved to see a younger McEwen mixing it up with them, he'd take none of their attitude. Or rather, he'd counter it with plenty of his own.

A

Anonymous

yourwelcome said:
+ 1

The Columbia train need to realise it's not the job of the rest of the peloton to get out of their way. I'd have loved to see a younger McEwen mixing it up with them, he'd take none of their attitude. Or rather, he'd counter it with plenty of his own.

Not trying to be a dick but, you do know it is "You're Welcome" right?

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
The way I saw it, was just a normal part of jockeying for position. Cav moved outside of his team mate and overlapped the wheel trying to keep the Columbia train intact. The Skil rider closed him down because he was also overlapping the wheel and Cav pushed on his hip to let him know he was there and to move him away. If anything the Skil rider over-reacted with his push back, since you can see that Cav moved quite a bit under the shove. So if anything the Skil rider could have been the one that caused the ultimate accident.

Having said that, I think Cav was a bit childish to clip Skil over the back of the head as he rode past after. Doesn't help to avoid petty vendettas within the bunch, you have to move on.

All this talk about suspensions is ridiculous. The same thing would have happened a hundred times during the stage and not been picked up by the camera.

TRENDING THREADS