• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Armstrong try to silence Landis?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Floyd-brications is pathetic - must try very much harder. The 'Master of Disaster' seems rather poor value for money to me.

Fabiani constantly repeating the same irrelevant drivel is beginning to sound a lot like this.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
It appears that Lance did NOT ever really try to "Silence Floyd".

Years and years and years of opportunities, but still no evidence that Lance tried to "silence Floyd".

But then again, why should he?

Why do you keep referring to "years and years" as the only relevant period is at most a few months this spring? I.e. from when Landis started talking about his intentions to air the allegations to when the emails were leaked to the press.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tubeless said:
Why do you keep referring to "years and years" as the only relevant period is at most a few months this spring? I.e. from when Landis started talking about his intentions to air the allegations to when the emails were leaked to the press.

Just trying to make it easier for the clinic super sleuths, both canine and human, to find ANY evidence of Lance trying to silence Floyd at ANY time.

Did Lance contribute to the bogus "Floyd Fund" that scammed millions of dollars to slime the AFLD and buy keggers? That would have been a "innocent" way to buy Floyd's silence. But no evidence that Lance "contributed".

Did Lance give a good employment reference when Floyd was applying for a high paying job at Radio Shack? Nope, seems the opposite is true.

Did Lance try to silence Floyd after Floyd leaked his e-mails?
I can only imagine...

Neworld said:
Lance and RS were brutal, we all followed the race and its results. LA couldn't even win a single stage after having Horner block wind for the final 40Kms; and then Horner even beat him...brutal. And, that was after LA flaoted along like pack-fill for many stages before that trying to save energy. I guess its hard to race without being charged!
W

Lance will not start the Tour.....
Lance will not make it into France.....
Lance will not finish the Tour....
Lance did not win a Stage....finally, we have a winner:)

And 170 other riders did not win a stage, including most of the GC Dangermen.
9 out of the Top 10 GC men did not win a stage in fact. So what?

Although Lance was old and injured, he was able to stand on the Final Podium in Paris with head held high, knowing that he finished with Sporting Honor and Studdly Grace.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Although Lance was old and injured, he was able to stand on the Final Podium in Paris with head held high, knowing that he finished with Sporting Honor and Studdly Grace.

OMG!

I just ate breakfast, but I may lose it after reading about this "studdly" man-crush.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Neworld said:
Lance and RS were brutal, we all followed the race and its results. LA couldn't even win a single stage after having Horner block wind for the final 40Kms; and then Horner even beat him...brutal. And, that was after LA flaoted along like pack-fill for many stages before that trying to save energy. I guess its hard to race without being charged!

Just wait my friend, the facts, confirmation of who from Postal has 'turned' etc... is coming. Just wait.

I think Floyd is only brave for what he has done to expose the massive lies of his past and others. Overall he knows what he is and it appears he doesn't like it or wants to live like that. Good for him.

NW

Yes, yes go on. I'll wait and follow. :D
It's really entertaining to watch these haterlogics and how good the filters in their glasses work.

But by far most impressive thing to watch is, how often they fail and just go on and on and on.....

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Considering the first: you cannot deny that Lance appeared pre-occupied with something else than cycling.
The second: Nobody knows what the true facts are, it might well be that these papers posted facts. On the other hand it is also true that in the court, which might well prove most important for Lance, that of the public opinion, facts are largely irrelevant.
The fourth point, there is obviously the fact that it is more damning that certain riders and teammates have come out to the investigation, than it is good for Lance that most riders have refrained from commenting or that a single rider and a single (unreliable) doctor has come out to say that they themselve did not witness doping. In all reality the fact that the majority are silent can be seen as quite damning.

Also, do you have any evidence of this proposed blackmail, I see several posters mentioning it, and quite frankly I would find it something that Landis logically would have done, but I have not seen a shred of evidence, or even any indication that it might have happened, outside of statements by Lance and Bruyneel, both of which were countered by the e-mails they themselves brought to public.

Der Lenz doesn't really care, whether there are 10 or 11 or 12 things that occupy him, whatever this may be.
He is used to deal with things like that for nearly his whole career.
I think what distracted him most, where the visits of his familiy. ;)

about blackmail:
Evidence ?
Reading + people knowledgeable + logics
You nearly said it yourself.

Floyd swinged with his chair, slipped down and dragged the tablecloth with him.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Der Lenz doesn't really care, whether there are 10 or 11 or 12 things that occupy him, whatever this may be.
I think what distracted him most, where the visits of his familiy.

about blackmail:
Evidence ?

Concerning the first, really? He needed to deal his entire career with things like a federal investigation? A turning media outlook on him? A possible loss of a lot of his wealth and possibly (yet improbably) even his freedom?

Well, please provide for the reading, as I can't find anything that would indicate this, other than the Lance and Bruyneel statements. Again, I would presume it would have happened, but if it did, I would also presume that we already heard something about it. Unless the blackmail was either to people who are not yet made public and thus perhaps do not know they are a target of an investigation, were made to people who have chosen to cooperate with the case, people who have chosen to pay and are kept out of the case, or concerns facts, which are not made public.
In short, if it happened, there is no real reason for many to either not come out and say it happened, or to provide proof, which they certainly would have, had it happened. Therefore, the longer this case dras on, without any real indication of blackmail, the less likely I think it is.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
I think what distracted him most, where the visits of his familiy. ;)

. . . which were always so distracting in the past. With Mom, Kristin, Sheryl Crow, and one to four kids in attendance, it's a miracle he stayed focused enough to win those 7 years.

Cobblestoned said:
about blackmail:
Evidence ?

Yes, evidence. Got any? FWIW I agree with what Barrus said - that this would be possible coming from Floyd. But so far it is unsubstantiated. Can you do anything to change that since you threw the accusation out there?

Cobblestoned said:

That would be an interesting metaphor if it made any sense or had any relevance.

Perhaps Lance WAS informed well in time, but did he truly consider the guy a harmless mental- and AA patient. Big mistake.
Landis in his interviews doesn't and emails doesn't try to portray himself like the poor good boy that got sucked it. He doesn't blame Lance, just exposes him as the worst fraud in cycling as he was aware of it.
Lance runs bad damage control it seems. For less than a positive, he doesn't even try to come up with a real solution.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Just trying to make it easier for the clinic super sleuths, both canine and human, to find ANY evidence of Lance trying to silence Floyd at ANY time.

Did Lance contribute to the bogus "Floyd Fund" that scammed millions of dollars to slime the AFLD and buy keggers? That would have been a "innocent" way to buy Floyd's silence. But no evidence that Lance "contributed".

Did Lance give a good employment reference when Floyd was applying for a high paying job at Radio Shack? Nope, seems the opposite is true.

I can only imagine...

Great Polish ! :D

I stand virtually somewhere behind you in tv picture and support your speech with gestures and applause - like the Americans often do it in their speeches and pressconferences.

Different Set of Crimes

jmax22 said:
Johnson has been paid by both USAC and the USAC Development Foundation, the latter of which Tom Weisel is the president of. A quick look at the 2006 IRS Form 990's show that Johnson was being paid $143,000 from USAC as the CEO and an additional $143,000 from the Development Foundation as it's executive director. It's surprising his connections with Lance and Weisel and Ochowicz hasn't gotten more press, especially considering how Johnson actually became the CEO of USAC, which is also a story that hasn't been told at all yet...

The relationship USACDF has with USAC is that USACDF is wholly independent of USAC. USAC has no authority over USACDF. Weisel's USACDF, essentially freed him of whatever regulatory legacy was worked into USAC over the decades.

Given the way Weisel runs both USAC/USACDF as a fiefdom, there is no doubt a whole host of regulatory issues are buried in the scrum of the takeover and subsequent operations of USAC/USACDF in order to enhance his man-crush on Armstrong. All of which are entirely separate from the Pharmstrong/Tailwind/Stapleton/Weisel shenanigans.

I would argue there isn't any interest in cleaning up USAC at the regulatory level. So while USAC executives are the equivalent of a den of vipers, (Armstrong is on the BOD of USACDF) Tailwind/USPS will generate more legal defense costs for Weisel/Stapleton than the USAC fiefdom could.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

I can only imagine...

During the time when Landis was denying his doping, he was playing by the rules of the omerta. Armstrong was generally supportive of Landis during this time - no reason to silence him. Why even bring up this period?

Once Landis made a comeback to racing, you can argue that Armstrong could have kept Landis happy by offering him a job. Brunyeel is on record saying that they did not want to risk getting uninvited from TdF should they had done that. But at that time Landis was not making any threats to go public with his allegations - so Armstrong saw no reason to try to "silence" Landis.

The only sensible discussion to have is what did Armstrong or his minions do when they started hearing that Landis was about to air out everything. And conversely, did Landis try to blackmail anyone? Armstrong was probably clever enough - or shall we say battle-scarred enough - to not go on record personally, on the phone or in an email. But it would not be suprising that behind the scenes Armstrong was asking his friends at US Cycling to deliver Landis a message, or via some anonymous ways.

It was obvious that compared to last year's TdF, Armstrong looked old and slow. One extra year can't make that big a difference. He was "prepared" for the prolog, but did not dare to resupply during the tour given the attention, and lack of friendly cooperation with the testers of the past tours. We likely saw what a clean Armstrong looks like. His supporters will put it all down to crashes - and the team victory made it all a happy ending.

That is, if the story had ended there.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The haters just ignore the big crash and ignore the results and performances before the crash. + No sense for logics that could speak against their hero Superfloyd.
That's quiet more entertaining. :D

It degenerates into work right now again. Too much work considering how much the logics, knowledge and points of view differ from other people´s.
AND considering that i have just eaten and try to chill.

Leopard1.jpg

hyaene.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Perhaps Lance WAS informed well in time, but did he truly consider the guy a harmless mental- and AA patient. Big mistake.
Landis in his interviews doesn't and emails doesn't try to portray himself like the poor good boy that got sucked it. He doesn't blame Lance, just exposes him as the worst fraud in cycling as he was aware of it.
Lance runs bad damage control it seems. For less than a positive, he doesn't even try to come up with a real solution.

Lance is a manly stud, Floyd is a dirty winging wharf rat. Lance flies by gulf-stream and Floyd flies by thumb. No issue of intimidation by the ancient stud only an old lion standing proud amoungest the hyenas. Long live my Lord Lance Armstrong!!!!

Polish said:

It hasn't been established that Landis leaked his emails. Please point to a reference not starting from Armstrong that suggests so.

The first leak appears to have been from USA Cycling to Armstrong (not surprising), resulting in a phone call to Dr. Kay.

-dB

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Lance is a manly stud, Floyd is a dirty winging wharf rat. Lance flies by gulf-stream and Floyd flies by thumb. No issue of intimidation by the ancient stud only an old lion standing proud amoungest the hyenas. Long live my Lord Lance Armstrong!!!!

Old lions don't generally fare too well when surrounded by hyenas.

Just sayin' . . .

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
powerste said:
Old lions don't generally fare too well when surrounded by hyenas.

Just sayin' . . .

I need to congratulate you on this awesome post, especially in combination with the pictures provided for by 'stoned

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

I can only imagine...

You must have forgotten that Lance mentioned he was considering hiring Floyd when TRS was being set up last year:
"I wouldn't rule anything out," Armstrong said. "[Floyd Landis] is a great rider, a tremendous story."

Of course he does go on to say...
"I should be a bit better than I was this year on the bike," said Armstrong. "With a year under my belt, I'll come back stronger."
....so....

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The relationship USACDF has with USAC is that USACDF is wholly independent of USAC. USAC has no authority over USACDF. Weisel's USACDF, essentially freed him of whatever regulatory legacy was worked into USAC over the decades.

Given the way Weisel runs both USAC/USACDF as a fiefdom, there is no doubt a whole host of regulatory issues are buried in the scrum of the takeover and subsequent operations of USAC/USACDF in order to enhance his man-crush on Armstrong. All of which are entirely separate from the Pharmstrong/Tailwind/Stapleton/Weisel shenanigans.
I would argue there isn't any interest in cleaning up USAC at the regulatory level. So while USAC executives are the equivalent of a den of vipers, (Armstrong is on the BOD of USACDF) Tailwind/USPS will generate more legal defense costs for Weisel/Stapleton than the USAC fiefdom could.

They will likely be characterized as organizations that facilitated some illegal activity by the Tailwind/USPS, be it surpressed positive PED tests or misused funds by a non-profit. In that regard they could be a gateway to testimony and evidence implicating the "private" operations of Weisel and Lance that could bear much less scrutiny than the USA Cycling.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
You must have forgotten that Lance mentioned he was considering hiring Floyd when TRS was being set up last year:
Quote:
"I wouldn't rule anything out," Armstrong said. "[Floyd Landis] is a great rider, a tremendous story."
Of course he does go on to say...
Quote:
"I should be a bit better than I was this year on the bike," said Armstrong. "With a year under my belt, I'll come back stronger."
....so.... .

But Lance did not make a job offer to Floyd after all.
I could understand Floyd's disappointment.
Could imagine him throwing something off his roof...

And Lance WAS stronger in 2010. Right?

Podium Tour de Suisse
Podium Tour de Luxembourg
Top 10 Vuelta a Murcia
First group Tour of Flanders...over 100 riders could not even finish!
Top 25 Finish and Team Podium in TdF. Battered, but ahead of Cadel, Wiggins, Basso, and many others...

Polish said:
But Lance did not make a job offer to Floyd after all.
I could understand Floyd's disappointment.
Could imagine him throwing something off his roof...

And Lance WAS stronger in 2010. Right?

Podium Tour de Suisse
Podium Tour de Luxembourg
Top 10 Vuelta a Murcia
First group Tour of Flanders...over 100 riders could not even finish!
Top 25 Finish and Team Podium in TdF. Battered, but ahead of Cadel, Wiggins, Basso, and many others...

You're right. I'm sure he'd have traded all those staggering accomplishments for a Tour Podium. Makes sense.

Man Crush Alert

Polish said:
Team Podium in TdF..

I've been following this sport for about 25 years and this is the first year "Team Podium" has meant anything to anyone except a bunch of execs with Marketing dollars burning a hole in their pocket.

Lance-or-no-Lance, the TRS-80 crew had a bad Tour day France given their fire-power.

Strike Team Podium from your Public Strategies script. It makes your rambling man-crush even less credible.