• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Bruyneel frame Frank Schleck?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Even after admitting that he used doping to win the Tour de France, Floyd Landis still maintains that he did not use testosterone. Given the allegations that Armstrong had the power to cover up a positive doping test in 2001 - I think it is feasible that Armstrong / Bruyneel potentially have unfair influence on the anti-doping process. Additionally I find the long string of ex-Postal riders testing positive quite interesting.

All that said, it is clear that the Schelck's are not on good terms with Bruyneel. Would he burn a member of his current team - simply out of spite?

Just a mental exercise - even if far fetched.

Schleck was caught out by a random test. Someone spiking his food or drink would have no way of knowing that Schleck would be tested. They would have to consistently "poison" him, thinking that he would probably win a stage. That might be a long shot with Schleck's attitude toward this Tour. Or they could rely on random testing, but with three riders randomly tested per stage, the chance of getting tested once during the Tour is about 30%.

He was either using Xipamide to flush something out of his system, or he was using a supplement, medication, or something that contains it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can really talk about Frank's attitude toward the Tour. He was forced to ride the Giro with only a few days notice. Then riding the Tour of Luxembourg, Tour de Suisse, and the Tour de France. If anything, I'd say the Bruyneel raced his rider into the ground.

With regard to the random testing, it was said that Bruyneel knew when the random testing would take place during the Postal days. I'd say it's equally likely that Schleck was doping to recover from his race program (aka simply to survive) or he was intentionally made positive.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Re ex USPS riders testing positive, the most likely scenario would be that that the riders carried on doing what they were doing at USPS and failed the subsequent tests due to a less effective "tester-dodging" or "tester-beating" regime or simply because the UCI was no longer being paid to suppress test results.

The idea that the USPS hierarchy could manufacture both the A and B samples of riders not on their team to be positive and consistent with each other given the test protocol does seem rather far-fetched.

It's the perfect crime. Not showing up to the TdF, but having a minion spiking blood bags, bottles, etc, to get someone to test positive for something. Choice of the med is a bit of a question mark now.
Former team mates of Floyd knew about the testosterone, and seeing him florish it was logical to presume he did not quit those, while maybe he did, just kept up the blood bags juggle he (and helpers) had learned to understand. Who juggled his last pre-positive blood bag? The most intimate have the most scary access to your fluids and solids. A piece of bread with olive oil the DS gives you, you don't lay aside. Imagine what you could hide in there. Or a sharp tasting salad.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
drfunk000 said:
I don't think you can really talk about Frank's attitude toward the Tour. He was forced to ride the Giro with only a few days notice. Then riding the Tour of Luxembourg, Tour de Suisse, and the Tour de France. If anything, I'd say the Bruyneel raced his rider into the ground.

With regard to the random testing, it was said that Bruyneel knew when the random testing would take place during the Postal days. I'd say it's equally likely that Schleck was doping to recover from his race program (aka simply to survive) or he was intentionally made positive.

If Bruyneel raced Fränk into the ground before the Tour, what was then the chances that Fränk would win a stage or ride in yellow? Slim. So Bruyneel must have known that his chances for a test of Schleck as stage winner or race leader was tiny. Then we are down to the random testing. How random is it? Is there some element of targeted testing, or is it absolutely random? And how is it decided who will be tested and when is it decided? If the testing is 100 % random and the testees are picked only a short time before the finish of the stage Bruyneel had a difficult task.

AyB0YYbCIAAn31J.jpg:large

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
The way I see it Bruyneel needs a positive rider like he needs a case of gonorrhea right now (in fact that's pretty much true for any time). by far the most likely explanation IMO is that Schleck used the product deliberately, and the second most likely explanation is accidental contamination of a supplement.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:
If Bruyneel raced Fränk into the ground before the Tour, what was then the chances that Fränk would win a stage or ride in yellow? Slim. So Bruyneel must have known that his chances for a test of Schleck as stage winner or race leader was tiny. Then we are down to the random testing. How random is it? Is there some element of targeted testing, or is it absolutely random? And how is it decided who will be tested and when is it decided? If the testing is 100 % random and the testees are picked only a short time before the finish of the stage Bruyneel had a difficult task.

Unless the spiking happened in the lab or somewhere along the way from FS to the lab, just saying. I know it sounds paranoid, but then again Bruyneel is indeed being accused by anti-doping authorities of conspiracy to cover up doping results, so maybe not so far fetched after all...

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
The way I see it Bruyneel needs a positive rider like he needs a case of gonorrhea right now (in fact that's pretty much true for any time). by far the most likely explanation IMO is that Schleck used the product deliberately, and the second most likely explanation is accidental contamination of a supplement.

Fränk Schleck's positive testresult came immediately after it was made public that the Schlecks and Cancellara had gone to the UCI to get their wages.

Supposedly to start a new team one has to deposit some money at the UCI so that the employees can get paid in case the team folds. Maybe Pat mcQuaid mislaid the deposit from team Radioshack Nissan Trek? Then the UCI would have an interest in shutting up Frank Schleck and give him something else to think about?

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:
If the testing is 100 % random and the testees are picked only a short time before the finish of the stage Bruyneel had a difficult task.

The testing is not completely random, the non winner/leader guys can be random, but can also be targetted if perhaps you got a tip off about an athlete...

Are team leaders more likely to be randomly selected? The randomly selected people that day contained 2 team leaders out of 6. A small sample admittedly but maybe the chance of a team leader is higher than that of a domestique?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
RichWalk said:
He could be seen as a sacrificial lamb, but I lean more towards the money/team & individual rider being desperate for sucess angle.

You know what, when I think of FS's actions leading up to and during the tour of 2012 I don't see any signs of him being desperate for succes.

He was reluctant to go, said he didn't want to be considered team captain, rode as if he didn't really cared. He made it no secret that he would rather have prepared for the Vuelta with Andy than going to the tour. He had reported his team to the UCI for not paying his wages.

He looks more like a rider desperate to get as far away from Bruyneel and team Radioshack Nissan Trek as possible.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
HL2037 said:
You know what, when I think of FS's actions leading up to and during the tour of 2012 I don't see any signs of him being desperate for succes.

He was reluctant to go, said he didn't want to be considered team captain, rode as if he didn't really cared. He made it no secret that he would rather have prepared for the Vuelta with Andy than going to the tour. He had reported his team to the UCI for not paying his wages.

He looks more like a rider desperate to get as far away from Bruyneel and team Radioshack Nissan Trek as possible.

I agree, you fleshed out what I was alluding too, namely he himself needs some kudos as he's fed up Radio Shack and wants (with Mandy) to move on/set up their own Lux team.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
RichWalk said:
I agree, you fleshed out what I was alluding too, namely he himself needs some kudos as he's fed up Radio Shack and wants (with Mandy) to move on/set up their own Lux team.

But do you think he was riding like he was going for kudos in the tour? I don't.

Avoriaz said:
Surely they would have targetted Fuglsang first, or in addition? He was creating the most waves, and though he won't race again, he did win the Tour of Austria. As leader was always going to be tested but apparently clear

Probably the reason he's stopped racing for RS altogether.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
HL2037 said:
But do you think he was riding like he was going for kudos in the tour? I don't.

Its a moot point, I agree his attitude and performances merrited little praise, I think the damage had already been done (RS in shambles/over raced and under prepped season) by The Tour he appeared to be seaking a way out, whether he doped out of desperation/tiredness or stupidity, I'm not sure we will ever know. He's not been in a 'good place' for most of this year.

He may not have been in France at the time but this is a +ve on Bruyneel's record. Deliberately shooting himself in the foot doesn't seem likely to me. There are much simpler and more effective ways to stick it to Schleck if that's what he wanted to do

Maybe it's connected with financial problems on the team. If they had usually paid for some form of "protection" but those payments stopped temporarily or permanently then that would leave the riders at risk.

One thing that couldn't be more different to the Contador case was the speed and decisiveness of the announcement

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
[One thing that couldn't be more different to the Contador case was the speed and decisiveness of the announcement[/QUOTE]

+1 , The way Scheck marched down to the police dept. and turned himself in and basically volunteered to get the hell out of there , defies logic, and so not part of normal theatrics of pro cycling . :confused: