• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Fabian Cancellara Lie ??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
But you guys! It obviously sounds better to claim you left a team because (paraphrasing here) "a new favourite son was arriving and the team wouldn't support me anymore," instead of admitting that you didn't really think your signed contract was all that important. After all, it's not like you mean anything when you sign a contract, right? It's just a decorative piece of paper with some pretty words and signatures on it.

On the other hand, let's not forget that up until the Tour de France Riis had no sponsor after this year. Cancellara knew that, and surely there's no harm in doing a bit of early research into potential employers? That is, naturally, putting the bit about promotional material and Marc Biver to one side.

I find irrelevant whether or not Cancellara lied to Riis to depart from Saxo- what is clear is that a rider with the caliber & winning record of Fabian is always seeking better deals & specially financial stability from the team-which is something that Riis has always had trouble achieving.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
And here comes the following article: The Schlecks lied too and Riis is really disapointed in both them and Cancellara.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/cykling/article.php/id-34745236:schleckbrødrene-løj-for-riis.html

I'm afraid the Luxembourg team will get the name that will be used in DK tonight 10.30 pm danish time: team JUDAS. People here are primarely angry at BN, KA, Schlecks and now also Cancellara.

B.t.w. The Schleck thing was brought up already before the tour. It's old news with new flames.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm still amazed that so many fans are willing to defend riders to the point that anything they say or do is just fine. This latest announcement wouldn't be a big deal at all if Cancellara had stayed quiet and not had a news cycle devoted to making Contador and Riis look bad to make excuses for his own actions.

Think this through - he had a contract for 2011, and the team was already losing two grand tour contenders in the Schlecks, and he thinks it would be better if they hadn't signed another grand tour contender? Sounds pretty selfish to me, and he wasn't upset with his pals for leaving.

If this story was correct, then he was negotiating with a new team while he had two years left on his current contract. I don't recall if he had a longer contract, or was he negotiating just a few months after agreeing to a two year deal?

Anyway, before Schlecklet and O'Grady were booted from the Vuelta, various Spanish news sources were citing sightings of Spartacus out clubbing after different stages. He did show up every day to work for at least the early part of the stage. But he quit during an important stage for no reason and left the country without even saying anything to his boss or teammates. Then he used the bad behavior to finagle out of the final year of his contract - it seemed at the time like he made it so Riis didn't want to work with him any more.

Then recently he claims that Contador was the main reason for him leaving, making it seem to the world like Riis had let him down by hiring a guy to replace the Schlecks. And now we know that he was in negotiations almost a year ago. I don't care if he's faster than other guys six or seven days of the year, his behavior in September and October were bad, and he's added to the list of guys where I wouldn't trust anything they say.

I kind of hope the UCI does mix in a few three AM doping tests next year, and discover that Team Luxembourg aren't in their hotel rooms. Does that count as a missed test?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
It doesn't say what the source is.

Apparently the source is some material that Marc Biver used (and probably created himself) to get sponsors for the team. (According to LPS on danish TV2)

In my opinion it doesn't mean that Fabian has lied.

Edit:
According to Biver, he met with the Schlecks and Becca (the moneyman) in November 09. At that point the Schlecks said they would like to bring Fabian, Fuglsang and O'Grady to the new team. It seems however that this is the only way, Fabian was involved at that point.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Riis should ask himself why he couldn't find sponsorship despite all the effort Cancellara put in in the spring instead of using the ever ready Danish media for sob stories of lies and betrayal.

Why should he ask himself that?

He did find sponsorship.

Magnus said:
It doesn't say what the source is.

ffs
from those links

Danish station TV2's sport magazine, Lige Pa og Sport (LPS) has documents that supposedly prove a much longer association with the Luxembourg project, calling Cancellara's words into question.

The source, former Astana manager Marc Biver, indicates that Cancellara had been in talks with the Luxembourg project as early as December of 2009.

What part of that do you not understand ?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
lucybears said:
ffs
from those links

Danish station TV2's sport magazine, Lige Pa og Sport (LPS) has documents that supposedly prove a much longer association with the Luxembourg project, calling Cancellara's words into question.

The source, former Astana manager Marc Biver, indicates that Cancellara had been in talks with the Luxembourg project as early as December of 2009.

What part of that do you not understand ?

ffs.

Read the post where I wrote what the connection between Cancellara and Team Lux was in november in 2009.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Martin said:
Riis lied to all of us, and for many years, that he did not dope in 1996. Therefore, to be honest, I really don't care if Cancellara and Schlecks once lied to Riis or not.

Speak for your self. He didn't lie to me and he didn't lie to anybody who was willing to hear the truth.

Sure, when journalists put a gun to his head he said no, but anybody with their an open mind knows what "I never tested positive" or "I never said the words that the media wanted me to say" means.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Kim Andersen lied
Stuart O'Grady lied (the vuelta)
The Schlecks are lied (the vuelta for Andy and this for both)

I left Cancellara out because that is the media not Riis. There is a lot of mud tosing from Riis right now.

If Riis lied to everyone or not? Well in from my point of view he lied to me. If you dope you race on a lie and cheating is like lying to the fans and the sport.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I still wonder if Riis ever had a sponsor lined up like he said he did before the Contador signing. I think he was desperate and pulled the wool over everyone's eyes until everything was golden again.

But, more on the op subject. Since when have any people in the media spotlight(of any kind) told the complete truth? I expect to have to sort through the trash that is reported to gain a decent understanding of what actually happened. It seems no one was happy with Riis, so they all left and founded their own team. There must of been more than the Contador signing though?