• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did FLandis commit Perjury?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about this today with friends over a cupa at Starbucks.

"willful and corrupt taking of a false oath in regard to a material matter in a judicial proceeding."?

Is he looking at 3-5 in the State Pen?

If he came out knowing this could be held over his head, does the risk put greater merit on the accusations? Does it help or hinder the process?

There is also a discussion started on my buddy's site:http://drunkcyclist.com/2010/05/20/has-floyd-landis-commited-perjury/#comments

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?columnist=desimone_bonnie&id=2876323 references the judicial proceeding he denied doping.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
Even if he did nobody is going to prosecute him. Nobody ever gets prosecuted for perjury in a civil trial.

Most likely, yes in the US. Don't know if he committed perjury in Europe and how that would get treated, or if they allow perjurors to plead guilty with no real penalty in return for evidence and testimony against a bigger target.
Or have I watched Law and Order too many times?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
bobs *** said:
Most likely, yes in the US. Don't know if he committed perjury in Europe and how that would get treated, or if they allow perjurors to plead guilty with no real penalty in return for evidence and testimony against a bigger target.

Yes.........

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
After a few minutes research, an AAA arbitration hearing is not a type of proceeding where the other rules of court procedure that a US state criminal charge could be filed or enforced.

There is no subpoena power, thus no contempt charge could be filed, so perjury is not applicable either.

Not applicable, not enforceable.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Who cares......

For all us cycling fans, all of us are being cheated by the peleton of dopers. None it is real. Think back on all the naysayers when Floyd was caught. Bob Roll and all those guys who could not believe it. Same for Lance. Now they all turn on him as if they would do any different in his place. They are all on a razors edge. No doubt that Landis is coming clean. If we can believe that he is now telling the truth about his own use, then there is no doubt at all he is telling the truth about the other stuff. That is what matters. Who gives a crap about perjury. That is a deflection of the bigger issue.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Chemainiac said:
For all us cycling fans, all of us are being cheated by the peleton of dopers. None it is real. Think back on all the naysayers when Floyd was caught. Bob Roll and all those guys who could not believe it. Same for Lance. Now they all turn on him as if they would do any different in his place. They are all on a razors edge. No doubt that Landis is coming clean. If we can believe that he is now telling the truth about his own use, then there is no doubt at all he is telling the truth about the other stuff. That is what matters. Who gives a crap about perjury. That is a deflection of the bigger issue.

Mate...We are living in the Matrix, none of this is real. Only the shack and Lance are real...they power the mobile universe.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
bobs *** said:

My impression is that plea bargains aren't used nearly as much in other countries than in the US. I know that Denmark has no official plea bargains though some unofficial bargains might happen. Also some countries you cannot be charged with perjury for lying in your own defence.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Chemainiac said:

I'm not sure we "can believe that he is now telling the truth about his own use". In fact, I'm quite sure we can't - he is still denying that the positive test in the 2006 Tour was accurate.

I've been wondering if perhaps he continues to lie about that because of the perjury angle, but I don't know the law.

chambers said:
I think that he is saying now that he doped starting in 2002 with USPS but did not dope during the 2006 Tour.

No, he is not. He says that he did not use testosterone during the 2006 Tour, so he still does not know how he tested positive for it He says he was using HGH and blood transfusions during the 2006 Tour.

Why is this thread not in The Clinic?

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Chemainiac said:

Clearly the people discussing the point in the thread care...hence the discussion. I think it's quite an interesting point whether Landis is putting himself in serious legal jeopardy by coming out with his story.

Colm.Murphy said:
After a few minutes research, an AAA arbitration hearing is not a type of proceeding where the other rules of court procedure that a US state criminal charge could be filed or enforced.

There is no subpoena power, thus no contempt charge could be filed, so perjury is not applicable either.

Not applicable, not enforceable.

That sounds reasonable, and I guess the conclusion is that he can and will not get into trouble for it directly?

BroDeal said:
No, [Floyd Landis] is not [providing evidence that he committed perjury by now admitting to doping]. He says that he did not use testosterone during the 2006 Tour, so he still does not know how he tested positive for it He says he was using HGH and blood transfusions during the 2006 Tour.
Best answer in my view (slightly clarified by my words in square brackets). Thanks.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Chemainiac said:
For all us cycling fans, all of us are being cheated by the peleton of dopers.
Speak for yourself. I'm not being cheated of a bloody thing. I turn on a bike race to be entertained. So long as I am entertained, I'm not being cheated. If these idiots want to dope, let them.

A

Anonymous

spanky wanderlust said:
yes, he commited perjury. and now if he doesn't come up with some quick corroboration, you can add libel.

No, to add "libel" Mr Armstrong would have to have the ball to sue him, which he doesn't.

Wheels Go Round and Round said:
yes..... real great advice.........spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get what? Floyd doesn't have a pot to **** in:rolleyes:

Suing isn't always about money, when you're high profile it's as often about sending a message. But since the SCA case LA has spun it as though he can't be bothered to sue. Balls. Or rather, Ball.

Roland Rat said:
Suing isn't always about money, when you're high profile it's as often about sending a message. But since the SCA case LA has spun it as though he can't be bothered to sue. Balls. Or rather, Ball.

LA has also won every case he has sued......how much of that money has he collected?

curious

May 17, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
yes, he commited perjury. and now if he doesn't come up with some quick corroboration, you can add libel.

Of course, the offended party would need to bring suit against Landis.

A quick history lesson would be in 2005 when the news of Armstrong's '99 positives were made public. The French paper encouraged Armstrong to bring suit. Armstrong declined. Quote on Larry King: "In the end, lawsuits are time consuming and expensive. Sometimes it is best to just let a bad story go away. And besides, I'm retired now."

TRENDING THREADS