• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did LA always stand a lot when he climbed?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I can't remember how he used to climb. Watching the Giro it seemed like he was standing more than I remember from his past tours. Same in the stage 1 TT.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
I can't remember how he used to climb. Watching the Giro it seemed like he was standing more than I remember from his past tours. Same in the stage 1 TT.

Next thread: "Did Lance always eat crackers with his chili?"

A

Anonymous

A perfect example of why the forum needs a rubbish bin..

yes he always stood up...
but, does anyone really &*^%$£ Care?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
A perfect example of why the forum needs a rubbish bin..

yes he always stood up...
but, does anyone really &*^%$£ Care?

I have it on good authority that the powers behind the scenes are dreaming up a suitable location for s h i t e like this....and anything rightwingnutjob posts.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually, don't think he used to stand much at all unless attacking (the fast cadence guy uphill sitting--or was). Noticed this in Milan San Remo too. Why now?

1) age and bad back (he's known to have the latter). Seen stretching it a lot just before the TT

2) maybe looking for power he doesn't now have.

On both counts, prob. weaker than before. A significant clue.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Actually, don't think he used to stand much at all unless attacking (the fast cadence guy uphill sitting--or was). Noticed this in Milan San Remo too. Why now?

1) age and bad back (he's known to have the latter). Seen stretching it a lot just before the TT

Respectfully disagree. He's always stood a lot while climbing, especially on steep sections or to attack. From '99 on. I do agree on the bad back, though. His profile on the bike is bizarre.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Guess I'm puzzled now why he stands when not attacking, eg. was standing in Milan San Remo when most of the other guys were sitting (think on the Cipressa, etc.) I thought lack of race fitness.

I know he used to stand when bridging (eg. up to Kloden and Ullrich in the past), but versus Pantani, once he got the gap, he would sit and hammer away at high cadence.

Hump back. Looks like a bullfrog inflating.:D He just inflates backwards (or his spine is bent) versus all the other guys looking like they've go big bellies from distended huge lungs bellybreathing etc. Indurain was amazing that way in TT's (think his lung size was measured as unusually large).

Any way thanks for response.

Parrot23 said:
Guess I'm puzzled now why he stands when not attacking, eg. was standing in Milan San Remo when most of the other guys were sitting (think on the Cipressa, etc.) I thought lack of race fitness.

I know he used to stand when bridging (eg. up to Kloden and Ullrich in the past), but versus Pantani, once he got the gap, he would sit and hammer away at high cadence.

Hump back. Looks like a bullfrog inflating.:D He just inflates backwards (or his spine is bent) versus all the other guys looking like they've go big bellies from distended huge lungs bellybreathing etc. Indurain was amazing that way in TT's (think his lung size was measured as unusually large).

Any way thanks for response.

He actually only use to get out of the saddle when he was attacking (or responding to an attack)--basically lifting his speed. I noticed the same thing on MSR, the Giro and on Stage 1. But according to Lance he's at the same level he had in 2002 or 2004, so it can't be a lack of fitness or struggling for power. Maybe he just wants to be like Contador. :rolleyes:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

Dude you are so wrong!!! check any of his TDF climbing videos circa 99-04

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Indurain, sure I don't know anyone who attacks on a climb while sitting. He did a lot of explosive attacking in the mountains in his early tours; hence, the videos. We haven't seen him do that in a long time (certainly not in his last few tours, re your reference to 2004 as last vid.)

He got his high cadence rep when climbing seated once he had a gap. I see him standing more now and think it's the best clue we have of his currrent form vs. the past (other than current race results).

Speculating here, but the TT'ing now at a lower cadence might have to do with that extra weight/upper body muscle he's now carrying. The bigger/heavier set guys seems to push bigger gears. Might be a deliberate subtle change to account for an extra few pounds of muscle.

See Bert Grabsch in the Monaco TT? Never seen a guy who looks like he's pedaling in slow motion. The guy must have been at 66-70 rpm in places on the flat, LOL. Built like a barrel (all muscle).

Parrot23 said:
See Bert Grabsch in the Monaco TT? Never seen a guy who looks like he's pedaling in slow motion. The guy must have been at 66-70 rpm in places on the flat, LOL. Built like a barrel (all muscle).

Yeah i think it was discussed in another thread. The most accurate description of him was........ The Michelin Man:D

Someone else also commented that he looked like he was carrying all the spare tyres for rest of the team:D...Thats just gold.

My thoughts on lance. Yeah he does stand more now. For probably a combination of many of the reasons stated in this thread.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Yeah i think it was discussed in another thread. The most accurate description of him was........ The Michelin Man:D

Someone else also commented that he looked like he was carrying all the spare tyres for rest of the team:D...Thats just gold.

Ha! I missed that. I'll have to find that :) Definitely some funny posters here.

Man, I was thinking Versus had slowed down the feed just for Grabsch. Ready to adjust my TV set.

TRENDING THREADS