• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Vino pay for this victory?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Did Uran receive some money?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Do you even know who Vinokourov is I wonder?
Do u even know who Greg LeMond is?

What a stupid question. Be a fanboy/girl but please be realistic. This was a set up, all over it.

And, I don't have a problem with it, I was laughing out loud. As everyone should be imho.

really?
How can you be so sure? (look at my previous post in this thread, to lazy to write again)
I had already seen your previous post. It doesn't say much.

I'm reasonably sure because I've seen the bank data and the emails, and I thought Vino and Kolobnev's explanations weren't satisfactory. If you disagree, good for you, but you might be slightly biased.

Richeypen said:
In terms of pointless speculation i would say that my opionion is the same as the Kolobnev incident. You are about to be in a two up sprint against someone who is a better sprinter than you. You also are completely spent and dont feel you have anything left in the tank to even be competitive in the sprint. The other rider offers you a large bribe to throw the race. What would you do?
Take the bribe and try to win.

Given Vinokourov's history the question was bound to be asked, but I don't think so.

Firstly I don't think Vinokourov could have offered Uran enough money to make passing up the chance of gold worthwhile. I mean even his silver is only the second Olympic medal Colombia has ever won, right? A gold would have been unbelievable.

Secondly, why would Vino bother? As soon as he realised it was Uran with him he must have fancied himself for the win. Wasted money from his point of view.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Do u even know who Greg LeMond is?

What a stupid question. Be a fanboy/girl but please be realistic. This was a set up, all over it.

And, I don't have a problem with it, I was laughing out loud. As everyone should be imho.

Yea that Uran would sell his olympic gold medal is very realistic I agree. :rolleyes:

One thing is to look at Vinos shadowy past (Kolobnev and blah blah).
A whole other thing is attacking a innocent mans integrity (Uran) just so you can continue spreading this bull**** you are serving us now...

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Swabian Lass said:
Secondly, why would Vino bother? As soon as he realised it was Uran with him he must have fancied himself for the win. Wasted money from his point of view.
Lol. Ninetienine percent of the peloton fancies Rigoberto over Vino in a sprint. They must all be fools...

Yea that Uran would sell his olympic gold medal is very realistic I agree.

One thing is to look at Vinos shadowy past (Kolobnev and blah blah).
A whole other thing is attacking a innocent mans integrity (Uran) just so you can continue spreading this bull**** you are serving us now...
More fanboy unrealistic bull. Doesn't matter.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
How much Wiggins paid you for this post?
Not enough.

Let me ask you as a fanboy a question. What's wrong with your hero buying this title? I for one am pretty sure LeMond bought the 1989 Worlds. Do I have a problem with it? Not at all.

I also like Vino, don't get me wrong. Like his attacking style, never mind his past. But this one has $$$ all over it. No problem also.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not enough.

Let me ask you as a fanboy a question. What's wrong with your hero buying this title? I for one am pretty sure LeMond bought the 1989 Worlds. Do I have a problem with it? Not at all.

I also like Vino, don't get me wrong. Like his attacking style, never mind his past. But this one has $$$ all over it. No problem also.

Everytime I come across you in the forums, it's to read some kind of new bulls*it. Do you do it on purpose? Are you that bored? Are you trying to provoke people to interact with you and get some attention that otherwise you wouldn't get in real life? :confused:

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
sartoris said:
Everytime I come across you in the forums, it's to read some kind of new bulls*it. Do you do it on purpose? Are you that bored? Are you trying to provoke people to interact with you and get some attention that otherwise you wouldn't get in real life? :confused:
And your question is?

Seems critics aren't allowed in this section of CNForum.

This section is really a playground, that's for sure. Sorry if I offended anyone.

shalgo said:
Did you actually watch the race? Uran looked to his right, saw that Vinokourov was there, and yet inexplicably looked to his left one second later. Uran didn't have to look to his left to see where Vino was--he had just looked to his right and seen Vino there.

I'm with Hrotha on this. I don't think Vino bought it. At least, I'd like to think he didn't. But given the Kolobnev LBL story and Uran's bizarre behavior, it is a legitimate question.

Could it be Uran's look to his left was to check to see how close the chasing group was? Additionally wouldn't Uran be aware of Vino's much publicized transaction with Kolobnev when he's pondering the foolishness of considering taking up Vino on this alleged offer? Would he actually be willing to risk the shame that he would face in the peloton, with his current team and especially back home in Colombia should their alleged agreement ever come to the surface? One can quickly weigh the pro's and con's of such an offer even in a fatigued, stressed state.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Uran could easily "lose" the sprint without looking back.
He only had to be little slower then Vino. And nobody would know.
This is why I think he didn't sell it.
He was probably expecting chasers to come storming. Vino saw his chance. Rest is history.

I was out riding my bike when the race took place. For obvious reasons (possibility of a sprint) I did not record the race. I was actually already ****ed with the cycling world that we had to watch the most boring Tour in at least 30 years (when I started watching) and now subject myself to watch Cavendish win. The last world was also very boring. So when I came back, to my surprise, I saw my wife with her face very mad. He told me that we had just lost gold because of a very stupid mistake by Uran. She does not speak much English so pretty much that was his conclusion for a person that watches cycling sporadically. He explained what he did, but I could not understand clearly. So I decided to watch the last kilometer in the internet and there I saw the mistake. I saw it several times. Then I opened the forum and to my surprise people were already talking about a bribe. I told my wife about it and she said, "That makes sense now". She was still ****ed at the way he lost the gold. She had no idea about Vino’s past, just that she thought that Uran’s maneuver was a bit stupid.

Having said all this, I think it is a legitimate question to ask since Vino was already involved in a bribe incident. People should not take it personally. Now as far as for my opinion goes, I think that Vino won fair and square. Maybe he offered the money but it was too quick for that to happen. I did not see many words sent across the riders. It was too fast. And even if he did so I am not even sure if Uran understood what he was saying or even accept anything from Vino. I like Uran's integrity as of today. Until proven otherwise.

If a rider was to think rationally about the importance of a medal, especially for a Country like Colombia, he would not have done it. Because it lasts an eternity in our books. But people get tire and things happen too quickly, so with a lack of oxygen in the body people reacts instinctively to things, not rationally. It still comes down to the integrity of the rider even is such a rider has no chance in the sprint because he is just too tired. I still like Rigo's chances of not taking the bribe.

Now, IMHO, if things were equal between Vino and Rigo, Rigo would have had a great chance of winning gold. I rate Rigo's sprint capabilities very high. He has proven that many times in the past. He is small but well built. Similar to Cunego. I don't understand why people think that he had no chance. There was no way of knowing that he was tired or that Vino was tired, but until after the race with the interviews. Actually someone can make a poll about it and you guys would be surprised of Uran's chances to win gold. Maybe not 80-20 but maybe close to 50-50% if you factor that he is younger and Vino is getting older and weakening.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Ninetienine percent of the peloton fancies Rigoberto over Vino in a sprint. They must all be fools...

that is the funniest thing I have read so far on here, 99% of the peloton 'fancies' Rigo, lolololol, so who were the 1% that 'fancies' Vino? name some names, since you obviously are friends with the entire peloton.
Rigo didn't even 'fancy' himself, that was pretty obvious

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
that is the funniest thing I have read so far on here, 99% of the peloton 'fancies' Rigo, lolololol, so who were the 1% that 'fancies' Vino? name some names, since you obviously are friends with the entire peloton.
Rigo didn't even 'fancy' himself, that was pretty obvious
So what you're saying is you don't believe me when I state 99% of the peloton fancies Rigo to win in a sprint a deux against Vino? Got to be kidding me.

Also doesn't matter, the best/smartest man won on the day.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So what you're saying is you don't believe me when I state 99% of the peloton fancies Rigo to win in a sprint a deux against Vino? Got to be kidding me.

Rigo didn't even 'fancy' himself so why would any other rider? his mom probably thought he could win that sprint after killing himself to get that gap, but that was it.
I would actually like to know more about you, your post are baffling and entertaining (in a trolling kinda way). have you ever raced at a high level? where are you from? how old are you?

Do you actually have any fotage of Uran sprinting very well? I am not trying to be rude or anything, but you are sounding so certain that I actually got interested in watching Uran sprint

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you actually have any fotage of Uran sprinting very well? I am not trying to be rude or anything, but you are sounding so certain that I actually got interested in watching Uran sprint

Uran is actually an OK finisher, not a sprinter of course but pretty fast on the line.

Also the more weird or stupid you can say, he was over matched like he was, he should have known better than let Vino out of his sight like that.

But a pay off? No way, you just can´t fix stupid, simple as that, and it was actually the second time this season he was sleeping at the finish line and lost a possible win.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
as we all know, these south american mountain eagles used to be famous for, politely said, not being the masters in tactics... but in any case, Rigo knows very well how much the money are worth (says wiki)

---

Urán was first introduced to the world of cycling at the age of 14 by his father, who was assassinated a few months later by one of the country's paramilitary terrorist groups.[2][3] Rigoberto had to take his place as a lottery seller to help his family and at the age of 16 he turned professional and moved to Medellín to ride for Orgullo Paisa

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Could it be Uran's look to his left was to check to see how close the chasing group was? .

this was what i assumed. no race radios means that uran had no idea what the gap was to the chasers. i would assume that the crowd exploded once the chase group came around the corner, so he would have probably been concerned about their proximity.

the dumber move was coming off the barriers. regardless of whether that side of the road was advantageous in terms of the wind, it at least had vino pinned to where he wouldn't have been able to sneak around uran.

one head-scratchingly dumb tactical move by uran = suspicion that he gave it away.

two dumb tactical moves = uran just wasn't thinking clearly, imo.

TRENDING THREADS