• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did you opinion of Lance improve after Oprah, worse, or stay the same?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Did you opinion of Lance improve after Oprah, worse, or stay the same?

• Same

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Improved.

It's nice to know that Lance recognizes that his extreme cockiness held his hand to the conundrum he is in now. The man understands 1) that he has a problem 2) that he has to go through a healing process and 3) he knows he has lots of people to apologize to.

Having said all of the above. 99.99% of us would fail to apply to ourselves the very same standards we expect and want from Armstrong.

I despise, ABSOLUTELY ABHOR, the character assassination campaign he is being forced into. HATE IT. To think this man hasn't hurt anybody and see people who have killed hundreds of thousands of people walking around without the slightest ump of guilt of remorse just makes my blood boil.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The fact that he finally said out loud he doped is probably the first time he ever faced the truth of it. That is a first step in making any change. I still see him as generally devoid of conscience and compassion but I did get a real sense of responsibility when he spoke of the effect on his children. It seems that maybe parenting instinct has some biological connection to his emotional child. He managed to not show much emotion and I think that is honest since crocodile tears would have really been a fake. Pretty hard to draw real emotion when it isn't in there to begin with. I would not say I like him any better but I finally have some minor respect for his current actions. I need some time to decide if this is more than a glitch as what follows over the next few months will really tell the truth of his revelations and declarations.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Wow Oprah's gay ? really ? Yes character assinations are not nice but calling a Sociopath a Sociopath is correct and not destroying his character.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Lukenwolf said:
That's got to be the most foreseeable poll in recorded history :p

Ok, then! Tell us what YOUR crystal ball says!

I am a bit surprised, but it actually made my opinion of him worse. I never liked the guy much, but I never thought he was much more than your average ugly-side character. What he showed us was a completely self-centered liar and manipulator. No empathy, all about the results. CEO level nastiness. Oh, wait he IS a CEO, isn't he!

"Ugly" doesn't begin to cover it.

Mrs John Murphy said:
He would have had to have worked hard to have me come away with a worse impression of him. However, he managed it.
+1

BowlingBall said:
Mine has improved, because while I still think he is a jerk, he's now making an effort to come to terms with all the things he has done wrong.

Sorry everyone have to agree with BB but given he can never recompense all those who's dreams he shattered and personally abused I saw a man who clearly knows that his actions were wrong and because of that his young son Luke and his siblings may also have to suffer in some ways in the years to come.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My opinion of him is the same, edging towards better.

He's a sociopath but apparently recognizes it. He's still hedging and lying but the wall has broken somewhat. I've learned something here and side with TH and JV saying it's a good start.

Daniel Coyle has pointed this out too about how he had to remind Tyler on certain issues Tyler was in denial about.

Previously I was very angry about the sociopath. Now I'm more understanding of him.

Also Armstrong was stopped before he killed anyone. Not anyone we know of I hope.

I'm still angry with the enablers, parasites, and fanboys although I do understand them somewhat now.

The next step is to deal with my own anger.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Same.

"Do you regret Comeback 2.0?"
"Yes, of course, otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here."

Or something along those lines.
Which is what we all knew. Hasn't changed for good or bad: he's the same lying, selfish, manipulative ******* he's always been.

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Lance may be a sociopath but he deserves the very same rights you and I have. What I ask myself, whenever confronted with these type of public character lynchings, is how I'd react were I in his shoes. And now the "moral" public sees nothing wrong in going after Lance the person, not just the cyclist.

Do I think he deserves what he is going through? NOPE! I dislike the guy but, from a human being point of view, he is being killed, absolutely killed, in the media. Might as well hand him a gun with only but a bullet in it and put him in solitary confinement.

Sad thing is Lance was a victim of circumstances. He went into a sport where doping was a way of life. I guarantee you that had Lance gone into a clean cycling he would've won his 7 Tour de France clean.

I think every cyclist in the world, now more than ever, should side with Lance and protect him.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Contador_Himself said:
Lance may be a sociopath but he deserves the very same rights you and I have. What I ask myself, whenever confronted with these type of public character lynchings, is how I'd react were I in his shoes. And now the "moral" public sees nothing wrong in going after Lance the person, not just the cyclist.

Lance the person destroyed lives. Excuse that?

Contador_Himself said:
Do I think he deserves what he is going through? NOPE! I dislike the guy but, from a human being point of view, he is being killed, absolutely killed, in the media. Might as well hand him a gun with only but a bullet in it and put him in solitary confinement.

He killed loads of people financially. As for the media. Chickens coming home to roost.

Contador_Himself said:
Sad thing is Lance was a victim of circumstances. He went into a sport where doping was a way of life. I guarantee you that had Lance gone into a clean cycling he would've won his 7 Tour de France clean.

Contador_Himself said:
I think every cyclist in the world, now more than ever, should side with Lance and protect him.

I think every cyclist in the world should jam their bike pump in his spokes at every opportunity.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Contador_Himself said:
I do not like the guy but I do not dislike the guy, I cannot judge someone I do not know personally.

But I agree, we do not want to see another Marco Pantani in a sad hotelroom in Rimini or a Franck VandenBroecke in a horehousedeath in Africa death, and yes, he is capable of that.

Contador_Himself said:
He would have been nicely placed 30th. Rocking the Ardennes Classics. That is what he was made for and why people like me liked him. He had guts, balls - no joke - and was no superhuman, pre - 1999.

Contador_Himself said:
No, they should take action against the enabling UCI.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Contador_Himself said:
. . .

A victim of circumstances? Huh? He started doping for tri-athlons, which actually had a reputation for clean living back then. And, he started riding with US teams, who still have a reputation for riding clean or cleaner. So that doesn't wash.

Contador_Himself said:

Hold on, a big part of Armstrong's career was destroying anyone who dared question him, whether personally, financially or through public slandering. He has admitted to this and to never holding back on that front. Many of those people were innocent and just speaking the truth. That type of behaviour is not common to doping cyclists, busted or not.

But now that the he has finally been exposed to the world, he should be protected:eek:

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Lance the person destroyed lives. Excuse that?

No, cocky Lance bullied other cyclists and people close to cycling if you got in his way. Two different things.

He killed loads of people financially. As for the media. Chickens coming home to roost.

You see people? This is what I'm talking about: Lance "destroyed", Lance "killed", et cetera. You ought to be a little more careful when stating your point. Use the correct words to describe what you know, or heard, of the man. What would you do if you heard a man you just told to go F himself that you killed or assassinated his street mojo.

I think every cyclist in the world should jam their bike pump in his spokes at every opportunity.

Geez, another guy that "loves" cycling.

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
hiero2 said:
A victim of circumstances? Huh? He started doping for tri-athlons, which actually had a reputation for clean living back then. And, he started riding with US teams, who still have a reputation for riding clean or cleaner. So that doesn't wash.

What "US Team" has a "reputation for riding clean" you poor soul? Which one?

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Hold on, a big part of Armstrong's career was destroying anyone who dared question him, whether personally, financially or through public slandering. He has admitted to this and to never holding back on that front. Many of those people were innocent and just speaking the truth. That type of behaviour is not common to doping cyclists, busted or not.

But now that the he has finally been exposed to the world, he should be protected:eek:

Brings the meaning of idiotic post to a new level.

All Lance did, to those who got in his way, was ignore them (and in some cases go a little further). And if you're a cycling journalist and the best cyclist in the world makes it a point for his teammates (and him) not to give you any attention at all... wouldn't you say that you brought that on yourself? Would YOU let a journalist who has built his career on destroying you, your teammates and your/their career(s) interview you? It's not a right vs. wrong question, let your reptilian subconscious respond.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Armstrong is inching forward. I am back and forth on him. As I just posted eleswhere, I don't think he's mature and inch since his teens and the start of this. Perhaps the premise of much of my posting all along...the kid taken by the ice queen and offered up the sweeties. Sudden fame and fortune... Hopefully he will out the omerta completely and stop listening to his lawyers as Hamilton suggested on ABC this morning.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Contador_Himself said:
Firstly, you need to understand that just because some says something you do not like it does not mean it is trolling. Mean what you say man!

What "US Team" has a "reputation for riding clean" you poor soul? Which one?

Just caught this. Good one.

Contador_Himself said:
Improved.

It's nice to know that Lance recognizes that his extreme cockiness held his hand to the conundrum he is in now. The man understands 1) that he has a problem 2) that he has to go through a healing process and 3) he knows he has lots of people to apologize to.

I despise, ABSOLUTELY ABHOR, the character assassination campaign he is being forced into. HATE IT. To think this man hasn't hurt anybody and see people who have killed hundreds of thousands of people walking around without the slightest ump of guilt of remorse just makes my blood boil.

He understands that but is not all that concerned with doing anything about it.

There is a long line of people he hurt, even he admitted it in case you missed it. You're right, many people have affected the world in a much, much worse way, but cycling is what we talk about on this forum. He made his bed, now it's time to lie in it.

My opinion of him has worsened a tad. His level of narcissism is beyond what I had imagined. He went into the interview fully prepared for a PR campaign. Still he had the gall to say he "deserves" to have his suspension lifted.

I am amazed at how untouchable he thought he was. So many people knew his secrets but he came back and bullied those very people nonetheless.

His "emotional moment" about his children seemed fabricated & forced to me. He lit up more when talking about the $75 mil day.

As much as he brings up surviving cancer I don't know how he could equate not racing the Austin 10k or Chicago marathon to a "death sentence," and multiple times at that.

On a positive note, he did admit he was a bully. He did say sorry. And he did come clean about being a doper for those who still believed the BS.

Overall he came across as a dimwit. The circumstances of this interview were different then he is accustomed to, he failed. I would like to hear Oprah's impression of la.

Fatclimber said:
He understands that but is not all that concerned with doing anything about it.

There is a long line of people he hurt, even he admitted it in case you missed it. You're right, many people have affected the world in a much, much worse way, but cycling is what we talk about on this forum. He made his bed, now it's time to lie in it.

My opinion of him has worsened a tad. His level of narcissism is beyond what I had imagined. He went into the interview fully prepared for a PR campaign. Still he had the gall to say he "deserves" to have his suspension lifted.

I am amazed at how untouchable he thought he was. So many people knew his secrets but he came back and bullied those very people nonetheless.

His "emotional moment" about his children seemed fabricated & forced to me. He lit up more when talking about the $75 mil day.

As much as he brings up surviving cancer I don't know how he could equate not racing the Austin 10k or Chicago marathon to a "death sentence," and multiple times at that.

On a positive note, he did admit he was a bully. He did say sorry. And he did come clean about being a doper for those who still believed the BS.

Overall he came across as a dimwit. The circumstances of this interview were different then he is accustomed to, he failed. I would like to hear Oprah's impression of la.

Good summary.
I thought he was an d?ck since I first heard of him..now he is just as evil as I thought...and his messed up personality was obvious from watching him.
Stunning work of art he is....a mess.

BowlingBall said:
Mine has improved, because while I still think he is a jerk, he's now making an effort to come to terms with all the things he has done wrong.

Mine hasn't. I thought just maybe he might have a bit of remorse over all that he's done and who it has effected but it's my opinion that he's appalled that he's been caught and penalized more than his rivals. Rivals that when given the opportunity to fess up, with mounting evidence against them to do so as an incentive, made the smart decision to do so and were thus given plea bargains so-to-speak. Armstrong was given a similar offer that would've given him reduced penalties and he declined.

I hope for his sake that he does seek therapy because he is truly a sick individual who needs it. Unfortunately I'm inclined to think that he would only do it as a means to an end, that being to give the impression that he's working on his issues to give him a better chance to get back some of what he's lost, not a sincere effort at improving himself as a human being.

TRENDING THREADS