• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Diego Rosa discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I explained elsewhere Rosa was initially scheduled to ride Strade Bianche where he was excellent last year. But Martinelli wanted to have him as a team leader in Paris Nice to understand what he could achieve in a WT stage race. Unfortunately he got sick in Algarve and never properly recovered, so he lost minutes in the first couple of stages. Astana clearly has a plan for him in case Nibbles leaves.

ec-414828965.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
EroicaStradeBianche said:
Hero of the day for sure.
What kind of future for him?
That's up to him, I'd love to see him a a team that gives him many chances to ride for himself in hilly one day races and one week races and maybe he could try his luck as a gt rider, even if I'd prefer to see him as a stagehunter.
That's the reason why BMC could be a good team for him, a soli Italian block ad many chances to ride for himself, now that Gilbert is leaving.
Sky on the other hand already have many potential leaders for shorter stages races and hilly one day races, I fear that he wouldn't get many chances to ride for himself.

He was a class act in the post race interview, saying he didn't waste too much energy pulling for Aru. He also said he was shite during the italian semi-classics this month so Aru was the worthy leader heading into the race.

Still, Astana tactics didn't make sense at all. There was no point in having Rosa work. I'm truly heartbroken.
Hopefully he'll get a chance to ride for himself in one day races next year.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
He will sign with bmc. My guess.

Signing with BMC and not Sky would bring him the chance to lead at Giro as Porte&TVG don't give a **** about it.
Rosa doesn't really either. He said after yesterday that he is going to focus on one day races because he feels he is better at them and enjoys them more, despite their randomness. Maybe one week races too, but he said GTs aren't his focus

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
He will sign with bmc. My guess.

Signing with BMC and not Sky would bring him the chance to lead at Giro as Porte&TVG don't give a **** about it.
Rosa doesn't really either. He said after yesterday that he is going to focus on one day races because he feels he is better at them and enjoys them more, despite their randomness. Maybe one week races too, but he said GTs aren't his focus

I saw what he said and that's all he can hope at Sky until he proves he can do more.At BMC he would have been in a better position from start.Anyway it seems that the deal is done.Hopefully he'll settle fast and start deliver as the competition is fierce at Sky.

Martinelli is probably right but that is poor behavior by him since Rosa saved astana's final result.
Maybe Martinelli is showing nervousness since his tactics were a failure (also at the tour) and their strongest riders (Nibali,Rosa) are escaping from his team.
Maybe Vino has also something to do.

EroicaStradeBianche said:
Martinelli is probably right but that is poor behavior by him since Rosa saved astana's final result.
Maybe Martinelli is showing nervousness since his tactics were a failure (also at the tour) and their strongest riders (Nibali,Rosa) are escaping from his team.
Maybe Vino has also something to do.

Martinelli is totally into Aru but he just wasn't strong enough. Astana should be happy with Rosa's second place.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I know that Sky magic is called $, but I still don't understand why riders still believe that they'll have a better go there than in other teams, especially if other is BMC.

Re:

KubaWinter said:
I know that Sky magic is called $, but I still don't understand why riders still believe that they'll have a better go there than in other teams, especially if other is BMC.

SKY are very good at convincing the rider that they wil be the one who will break through. Afterall SKY has had very good results with Froome, Thomas, Poels,Stannard and to a lesser extent Heano&Nieve

However its not been very good place for a load of riders not least Kwait who is a great one day racer

I suppose Rosa definitley will have leadership in the Italian classics in the fall a no one at SKY cares about these races it seems

Howeve stage races and spring classics is another thing ...SKY have some real talent here and Rosa may find it hard to get a chance .. PLus SKY will use his strength in the train so maybe tired by the time he does get a chance