• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Haven't used diesel to clean bike parts since 1988, last time I had a diesel vehicle. In a pinch I'll soak my chain and sprockets in white gas for the camp stove. Always had access to some pretty nice cleaning systems at bike shops where I've worked or friends' places. Best systems IMO are those baking soda pressure washing stations (the name escapes me), Bio Circle and Safety Kleen systems are good too.

Thanks.

Most, in fact all, of the stuff from my LBS's are the aerosol cans which i've used in the past.
Have fully stripped back my old road bike and want to soak some of the parts in a degreaser / solvent.. Mechanic in the shop said to try Diesel, but just wanted to check before I try it out. Plus, it is quite cheap:)
Is there any specific sort of time frame I should leave these parts on the soak?
Headset bearing races, jockey wheels. Was just going to"Toothbrush" on the diesel for the cranks etc.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
JackRabbitSlims said:
Thanks.

Most, in fact all, of the stuff from my LBS's are the aerosol cans which i've used in the past.
Have fully stripped back my old road bike and want to soak some of the parts in a degreaser / solvent.. Mechanic in the shop said to try Diesel, but just wanted to check before I try it out. Plus, it is quite cheap:)
Is there any specific sort of time frame I should leave these parts on the soak?
Headset bearing races, jockey wheels. Was just going to"Toothbrush" on the diesel for the cranks etc.

Thanks for your help.

If you have to use the bike specific stuff, I've always liked White Lighting Clean Streak. It's all a rip off though, I only recommend that to apartment dwellers in the city because it cleans up very easy. The initial cost of setting up an eco friendly parts washer isn't cheap, but if you're riding a lot and you have the room to set it up it pays for itself in a few years of buying bike specific degreasers. Diesel is cheap and easy, but I wouldn't want to use it for years and years if I didn't have to. Not just bad for the earth, bad for your health too.

TRENDING THREADS