• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Diet during a GT

I pulled this off of Bikeradar's forum. I thought it was interesting because I have not seen a similar list with the weights.

TEAM COLUMBIA MENU

STAGE 17, TOUR DE FRANCE 2008

Breakfast

• Banana (1)
• Muesli (150 gr)
• Pasta (150 gr -- weight is non-cooked)
• Croissant with chocolate (1)
• Coffee (250 ml)
• Soy milk (300 gr)
• Mixed fruits (200 gr)
• Orange juice (300 ml)

Pre-race

• Pasta (150 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Race

• PowerBar (4)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• PowerBar carbo drink (4000 ml)
• PowerBar energy gels (4)
• Coca-Cola (400 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (2)
• Water (1000 ml)

Post-race

• Recovery drink (500 ml)
• Turkey sandwich (1)
• PowerBar (1)
• Coca-Cola (330 ml)
• Fruit cake (100 gr)
• Water (400 ml)

Dinner

• Mixed vegetables (200 gr)
• Pasta (200 gr)
• Chicken breast (250 gr)
• Sauce (100 gr)
• Plain yogurt (350 gr)
• Mixed fruits (150 gr)
• Water (800 ml)

Pre-sleep

• Gum/sweets (100 gr)
• Chocolate (25 gr)
• Water (500 ml)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you think they don't sneak more..?
I shared a room with another rider who would wake up in the middle of the night and eat a bar or two... that was in an 8 day stage race.
That hunger creeps.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
of course the eat more :p Last years TdF the QS-boys were not happy after a really sucky tour and they were eating bread with nutella on the bike and as breakfast :p

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that some guys had Ben & Jerrys delivered via a motorcycle with refrigerated panniers :D

OK, I never heard that, but if one passes by here, I'm waving money in the air

Well... Brian Vandborg during last year's Tour wasn't too impressed with the Italian style Liquigas breakfast. As he said; in Italy you mostly just take some cakeish-bread-thing and a cop of coffee... when you're a bike rider thats's not enough so they eat pasta! He didn't think that was a good idea so he brought his own package of oat-flakes...

But... chicken... seems to be on every teams menu during those races! So much most riders get really tired of it in the end!
(Not that I blame them... I like chicken... not for three weeks!)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I heard a story once about Sean Kelly coming back to the team hotel after a TdF stage and eating three whole chickens, one after another.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I remember one of the German riders from either HTC-Columbia or Milram saying they had oatmeal for breakfast every single day at the Vuelta, and by the third week they couldn't even stand to look at it.

Susan

It was either Russell Van Hout or Trent Wilson who said after the 2004 Giro that if he never saw another bowl of pasta again, he would be a happy man. Tyler Hamilton has said once in an interview that pasta is never on the menu at home (Girona) because he eats it so much at races (this was early 2004).

Cycling Weekly did an article on Wiggins and what he eat in one day of a Tour de France stage. He even ate a bowl of museli before he went to bed (this is post dinner). Mind you, they burn 7-8,000 calories a day!

Well... basically riders are eating all the time! (Almost...) saw some video about Saxo Bank (or CSC as they were still named back then) on YouTube, here's a quote from it "When they're not riding they're eating. Sometimes when they're riding they're eating!"
Or... as Chris Anker puts it; the way of living during a GT is pretty much sleep, eat, ride, eat, relaxing in bed, eat and sleep!

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I remember a photo of a sumo wrestler with his normal daily diet spread out in front of him. What these guys are eating is probably similar in terms of calories except they get skeletal thin by the end of the three weeks.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
lots of these:
2314082801_f669510eaf_o.jpg

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Love it!

Susan Westemeyer said:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "Woo hoo! What a ride!"

I know it's unrelated, but just love the line!

TRENDING THREADS