• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Digital Camera Recommendations

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Wondering if you guys had any expertise/recommendations on digital point and shoot cameras?

I had two point and shoots that have been dropped and broken by two different friends, so I never took another dive because I already have a Digital SLR (Canon 40D).

But...I realized that with the bulk of the DSLR, I never end up taking my camera out with me - it's cumbersome and is a chore.

Keeping in mind that I love the customization-aspect of my DSLR, I kind of want those options for my Point/Shoot, as well.

any good recs? I am currently considering a Canon G10.

A

Anonymous

ive always been a big fan of fujis.. last three cameras have been fuji..

what do you consider bulky... some of the lower fujis, s1500 etc have a bit of bulk to them, but not what id consider bulky... or are you looking for more of a pocket camera?

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
You definitely won't get the same level of customization with a G10 that you would get with your 40D and practically all point and shoots are only useful at low ISOs.

If you're only shooting in daylight conditions then the G10 is fine for most uses or if you want a little more customization I know a few people who swear by Panasonic's Lumix power zooms.

The 40D is actually a pretty small DSLR, what lens are you using on it?

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Chris0701 said:
You definitely won't get the same level of customization with a G10 that you would get with your 40D and practically all point and shoots are only useful at low ISOs.

If you're only shooting in daylight conditions then the G10 is fine for most uses or if you want a little more customization I know a few people who swear by Panasonic's Lumix power zooms.

The 40D is actually a pretty small DSLR, what lens are you using on it?

Thanks for the recs, everybody!

The 40D is way too big for me to lug around - I have a 24-105MM lens on it, I also have a 30MM prime, but I love the versatility of the 24-105MM, so I use that most.

I love the idea of a pocket camera - but I am constantly frustrated by their lack of range. This is why i MIGHT be considering the Canon G10.

As for the Panasonic recommendations, I agree. I had a Leica D-Lux 3 (the rebranded, expensive for no reason version), and it was great. But in the end, it was a glorified point/shoot without any shutter/exposure controls.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a pretty good range of digital SLR cameras and lenses, and also an old Fuji digital camera for work, so I was looking for something different for my point-and-shoot digital camera. I bought the Olympus Stylus because it is waterproof to 10m and shockproof from 3m, so I can take it snorkeling and on the bike with no concerns about it getting wet or sweaty or falling from my jersey pocket.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I have a pretty good range of digital SLR cameras and lenses, and also an old Fuji digital camera for work, so I was looking for something different for my point-and-shoot digital camera. I bought the Olympus Stylus because it is waterproof to 10m and shockproof from 3m, so I can take it snorkeling and on the bike with no concerns about it getting wet or sweaty or falling from my jersey pocket.

Hmm...the shockproof from 3M poses a VERY good argument.

Thanks! :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
imho, there are only two choices - the canon g10 that you have already odentified and the panasonic lumix lx3. both have full manual option and are beautifully made. i have a G10 and love it, although I would have bought an LX3 if I could have find one in stock anywhere!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Check out this new offering from Olympus:
http://www.olympuscanada.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1461

I was briefly reading a preview of it in the local paper when I was on the bus the other day and it sounds like a good idea. I haven't seen one in the flesh and know nothing on prices, lens sizes (actual and effective/film equivalent), etc.

I like the concept - reminds me of the OM-1, OM-2 which I love for their size, simplicity and robustness. Now, if only Nikon would bring out the equivalent ... (says I looking past my DSLR and staring wistfully at my FM-2 - which I still think is the best camera ever made ...) :)

A

Anonymous

Why not a Rebel XSI with the 18-55 VR lens? It will allow you to use your other lenses, is light as heck, and has image control you just wont get with a P&S. I have been researching the same question, only I have Nikon equipment. I think I am going with the D40x with the Nikon 18-55 VR. Its cheap, and flexible.

The drawbacks on both are that they are not the tank the G10 is, so dropping is an issue, and if you are doing documentary photography, it is much more conspicuous. However, I have decided the advantages outweigh the minuses.

If P&S is a must however, the D-Lux looks great, and supposedly the Sigma DP 1 and 2 are good cameras. Only problem with them is they are both wide angel only.

Then again, I picked up the G10 last week and tested it, and I liked it a lot. Like was said, low light is a bit of a problem, but unless you are going to print big, no worries there because if you need it, you have a solution.

But for me, stick with SLR even if it is the baby brother. The worst thing about the Rebel line is the name. Always screamed "cheap" to me, but the reality is that they are good cameras for general use.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Why not a Rebel XSI with the 18-55 VR lens? It will allow you to use your other lenses, is light as heck, and has image control you just wont get with a P&S. I have been researching the same question, only I have Nikon equipment. I think I am going with the D40x with the Nikon 18-55 VR. Its cheap, and flexible.

The drawbacks on both are that they are not the tank the G10 is, so dropping is an issue, and if you are doing documentary photography, it is much more conspicuous. However, I have decided the advantages outweigh the minuses.

If P&S is a must however, the D-Lux looks great, and supposedly the Sigma DP 1 and 2 are good cameras. Only problem with them is they are both wide angel only.

Then again, I picked up the G10 last week and tested it, and I liked it a lot. Like was said, low light is a bit of a problem, but unless you are going to print big, no worries there because if you need it, you have a solution.

But for me, stick with SLR even if it is the baby brother. The worst thing about the Rebel line is the name. Always screamed "cheap" to me, but the reality is that they are good cameras for general use.

I don't think the G10 would survive being dropped though. Some photographers claim in bright light and up to a certain size the G10 matches cameras costing upwards of £10-15000. Can't confirm this myself (I have used cameras costing that amount) but my big complaint of P&S cameras is lack of manual control.

If all one wants and needs is a point and shoot then the G10 is perfect. If more control is needed a Rebel / D40 is the perfect solution. Last time I checked rebels looked a lot smaller than 40D / D40s but if the OP already has a 24-105 I would definitely stick with that lens and just get a smaller body.

Weight isn't really an issue IMHO. I use everything from 1d mk3s with large white L series lenses to 4x5" old fashioned cameras so the weight for me of a 40D would be an absolute joy.

TRENDING THREADS