• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Dis) respect for Le Maillot Jaune

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
As I stated before, it's like Sky is playing racist, just like they want the pure British breed to win the Tour for the first time.

What they did during this Tour really vilify the entire sport.

Wiggins is not pure British...was born in Belgium. I'm glad they changed his nationality though.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It's awful how nationalistic cycling is becoming. To many it doesn't matter the nationality of their favourite cyclists or even care if the winner comes from Antarctica but the bickering and racism coming from all camps these last few years has been awful.
Spanish, British and Australian fans & media are dragging the sport through the dirt, it's getting to be as bad as soccer.

Well Froome definitely let the World know he could have dropped Wiggins at any time in 2 stages.....but he didn't leave him he went back or waited.

So on one hand his show of strength was disrespectful and leaves us saying 'wow had Froome been allowed to ride he might have won this race.' I think he Was the strongest in the race and would have won had he been unshackled.

On the other hand the Way he waited didn't show respect for his leader.

But this is cycling and the Strongest is always the most respected. El Pistolero said: 'The only hierarchy in cycling is that of the strongest.'

There is no doubt in my mind who is strongest in this race and it isn't Wiggo...

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
ferryman said:
Mods. If you think this deserves to be in the stage 17 thread please feel free to delete.

But, really, have you ever seen such an open display of contempt by a rider for his Captain? Sky have secured 1-2 but I don't think it will be a happy dining room tonight. Just a pity there isn't another mountain stage tomorrow where things could have got really interesting;)

I think its a disgraceful tour in terms of sky, its totaly disrespectful to just do nothing to win the jersey when you are so much stronger.. but I suspect they might have something on Froome, why else would he let his only real chance of a tour win slide like this, there is no way any of these two will win with AC/AS and more MTF

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Apollonius said:
It's awful how nationalistic cycling is becoming. To many it doesn't matter the nationality of their favourite cyclists or even care if the winner comes from Antarctica but the bickering and racism coming from all camps these last few years has been awful.
Spanish, British and Australian fans & media are dragging the sport through the dirt, it's getting to be as bad as soccer.

Indeed, its become super nationalistic in some areas.. All the British I know cheer for Sky and Wiggins 100%... its odd..

Personaly, I love the Riders with a good personality and great riding.. I could name Jens as one.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Apollonius said:
It's awful how nationalistic cycling is becoming.
When was cycling NOT nationalistic?

As for the LeMond/Hinault thing. At least LeMond was the strongest in '86. Even with Hinault coming at him, he still pulled off the win.

Apollonius said:

Well said.

We currently have a few jokers here and in the stage thread, who are saying Froome should have left Wiggins, because he is so strong, posting at the same time, that he is so d*ped, over in the Clinic.

No doubt, if he had left Wiggins and taken the win, they would have slammed Sky for "stealing" the victory from Valverde. (who again refused to admit his clinic issues at post race interview)

Objectivity and intelligent debate seems to be a thing of the past around here and the reason so many have left the racing forum, for greener pastures.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Objectivity and intelligent debate seems to be a thing of the past around here and the reason so many have left the racing forum, for greener pastures.

Indeed :( hopefully it is just a July thing.

Don't we find out who's the strongest on Saturday? Race of truth and all that - or is that too 'boring'?

Carols said:
Well Froome definitely let the World know he could have dropped Wiggins at any time in 2 stages.....but he didn't leave him he went back or waited.

So on one hand his show of strength was disrespectful and leaves us saying 'wow had Froome been allowed to ride he might have won this race.' I think he Was the strongest in the race and would have won had he been unshackled.

On the other hand the Way he waited didn't show respect for his leader.

But this is cycling and the Strongest is always the most respected. El Pistolero said: 'The only hierarchy in cycling is that of the strongest.'

There is no doubt in my mind who is strongest in this race and it isn't Wiggo...
The Tour is not just about the climbs, and Wigans has been stronger in the ITTs so far, and on certain climbs has actually looked better than Froome. I wouldn't say Froome was definitely stronger without having seen them go on an actual duel. All we saw is that Froome has a better acceleration.

Between this and his comments towards Nibali, Froome is revealing himself to be a cocky ****.

It was cheap. Froome accepted his role , nobody forced him to sign a contract with Sky ( Sky made him, before Sky he wa snobody, did they use methods described in other part of this forum or legal methods, is another matter), but if you have accepted your role, do your jon and dont show off.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
A correct thread;) I can't remember a yellow jersey humillated by a teammate like this current edition

Yes, it was a show of "I am better than you, I am gifting you this championship" . Disgraceful. It is better if Froome rode away. I think the "talk" they were having was more of an argument with a "smile". Wiggins felt really humiliated.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
The Tour is not just about the climbs, and Wigans has been stronger in the ITTs so far, and on certain climbs has actually looked better than Froome. I wouldn't say Froome was definitely stronger without having seen them go on an actual duel. All we saw is that Froome has a better acceleration.

Between this and his comments towards Nibali, Froome is revealing himself to be a cocky ****.

Looking at Froome today, I have my doubts about his climbing. Would he handle the pace of say Alberto? Would he handle Schleck. It is still hard to call on this young man since we seem to be told he was holding a lot back....really??

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr.Sahl said:
Indeed, its become super nationalistic in some areas.. All the British I know cheer for Sky and Wiggins 100%... its odd..

Personaly, I love the Riders with a good personality and great riding.. I could name Jens as one.

Froome is an African with a British passport. Next time Froome fly the Kenyan or South African flag...Sky will never never ride for you. Rogers, Portier ride for you??? You got to be kidding

the british press love nothing better than feasting on their, so if they understood what went down today they'd be having a field day with all this.

interested to know if anything other than "sky 1-2" is reported in the newspapers.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

This .

jilbiker said:
Yes, it was a show of "I am better than you, I am gifting you this championship" . Disgraceful. It is better if Froome rode away. I think the "talk" they were having was more of an argument with a "smile". Wiggins felt really humiliated.

It sure looked like a strange chat to me. Gesturing and yoyoing.....
Froome signed on to support a leader for his yellow jersey...I don't like wiggins but Froome acted like an @ss.
BTW his wife/gf would be classier if she clammed up too....lowball all around IMHO.

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Froome is an African with a British passport. Next time Froome fly the Kenyan or South African flag...Sky will never never ride for you. Rogers, Portier ride for you??? You got to be kidding

My British friends "some of them know the Froome famiy before they moved to Kenya" consider him a full bloded englishman, Porte and Rogers are not British "they are part of the commonwealth haha" but they ride on a British team for a Brith cpt. that was my point.

When I said Sky, I actually just meant the team nationality and not all riders on it!!!!

Dr.Sahl said:
I think its a disgraceful tour in terms of sky, its totaly disrespectful to just do nothing to win the jersey when you are so much stronger.. but I suspect they might have something on Froome, why else would he let his only real chance of a tour win slide like this, there is no way any of these two will win with AC/AS and more MTF

Maybe Sky threatened to pull him from the Vuelta or other races if he didn't behave. Like what Radio Shack did to Fuglsang. Or maybe they threatened to flush -- oh forget it.

I can't really blame for Froome for making it clear to the world that he's the strongest. He signed up to ride for Wiggins, presumably for a lot of money. He has done his job, ensuring that Wiggins win the Tour. But nobody says that he has to like giving a Tour away, and it's only human to want to demonstrate your superiority from time to time.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I can't really blame for Froome for making it clear to the world that he's the strongest. He signed up to ride for Wiggins, presumably for a lot of money. He has done his job, ensuring that Wiggins win the Tour. But nobody says that he has to like giving a Tour away, and it's only human to want to demonstrate your superiority from time to time.

I think that's called immaturity....:p

HiCadence

BANNED
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You all seem to forget that Froome signed a contract knowing full well that he would have to work for Wiggins this year for the Yellow Jersey wether he is stronger or not thats what he is getting paid to do and he was all fine with it, today he just made a very unprofessional and unclassy show of himself, very dissapointed in his behaviour he will have his chance to win his own yellow jersey in the near future i would imagine.