• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disable Ad-Blocking?

So this is new. We're going with the "Annoy people into using our site" strategy now? Not even a suggestion, but a modal window that only allows you to disable ad blocker?

I'd be curious to see today's page view stats versus before you put up the modal.

There are other news sites.

At least it's not a catch-all, so even with uBlock disabled, I still don't see any ads. I can understand why they want to fight ad-blockers, but if it means I have to be disturbed by intrusive or particular ugly ads, I'll find an ad-free alternative.

I've yet to get bombarded by the ads you guys are talking about. I'm using google chrome with "adblock" and "flashcontrol" extensions enabled which seems to do the trick. I'm not saying that this is what you should use from now on, I'm just saying that maybe you can add a different ad block app to get rid of these intrusions.

Cheers :)

Re:

Jspear said:
I'm using Firefox and it's allowing me to use adblock....

I'm using Firefox and it isn't allowing me to use adblock. What do you have over them?

It's nice to be able to avoid intrusions, and I'm not going to claim any moral high ground (I fast forward through the TV ads too), but I''m noticing more and more site rejecting adblockers over the last month or so (new software available to site builders?), and we shouldn't really expect a service while denying their revenue stream indefinitely.

Cycling fans, of all people, ought to be well-practised at mentally blotting out advertising. We don't try to discuss who will ride for Abarca Sports in the Giro, or compare the status of Strade Bianche with the Maastricht-Valkenburg Race.

Re:

Irondan said:
I've yet to get bombarded by the ads you guys are talking about. I'm using google chrome with "adblock" and "flashcontrol" extensions enabled which seems to do the trick. I'm not saying that this is what you should use from now on, I'm just saying that maybe you can add a different ad block app to get rid of these intrusions.

Cheers :)

I"m using Chrome ad block.

It's dumb.

R7GM1oa.png

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Jspear said:
I'm using Firefox and it's allowing me to use adblock....

I'm using Firefox and it isn't allowing me to use adblock. What do you have over them?

It's nice to be able to avoid intrusions, and I'm not going to claim any moral high ground (I fast forward through the TV ads too), but I''m noticing more and more site rejecting adblockers over the last month or so (new software available to site builders?), and we shouldn't really expect a service while denying their revenue stream indefinitely.

Cycling fans, of all people, ought to be well-practised at mentally blotting out advertising. We don't try to discuss who will ride for Abarca Sports in the Giro, or compare the status of Strade Bianche with the Maastricht-Valkenburg Race.

I'm sorry...I'm not following your question "what do you have over them?"

I'll just say what I'm using.

Firefox Quantom 58.0.2 (64-bit) and I'm using Adblock Plus. Now, when I go into options on Adblock plus, I've checked the box for "allow acceptable ads." "Acceptable Ads are not annoying and do not interfere with the content you are viewing. Read more about the Acceptable Ads criteria"

Maybe that's what is letting me keep adblock on...

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I disable the adblocker, the adblocker confirms it is not active on the site, but I still keep getting the request to whitelist which is already done.
The site therefore cannot be accessed, even though I comply with the request.
I'm using chrome, and the latest version of adblocker.
Site accessed on the tablet instead. :confused:

2old2fat said:
I disable the adblocker, the adblocker confirms it is not active on the site, but I still keep getting the request to whitelist which is already done.
The site therefore cannot be accessed, even though I comply with the request.
I'm using chrome, and the latest version of adblocker.
Site accessed on the tablet instead. :confused:
Have you disabled it for the webpage or for the domain? If you only whitelist the front page you'll keep getting requests if you try and navigate to any other page. For example, in adblock the filter would look like this:

@@||www.cyclingnews.com/$document

Just did the survey and rated it 0 if I would suggest this site and gave this reason.

Forcing users to disable adblocking is a security issue that can put users at risk using computers susceptible to Spectre and other exploits from rogue ads.

When I find a site that blocks adblockers I find an alternate site.

Hard to figure out the 'rollout' of this notice.

It suddenly appeared on my Desktop PC over a week ago, but took until today to show up on my Laptop, and I use the latter daily.

I don't see 'pop-ups' but get annoyed by the ones that appear (and change even) in the middle of an article that I am reading.

CN has enough advertising of its own embedded in its site without having to resort to the rubbish that is dished up via Google and the like.

I guess its only a matter of time before we are commanded to disable the 'pop-up blocker' as well.

I will get my Cycling News from elsewhere now.

I get the notice on my laptop but not my desktop. So when using my laptop, I resort to other news sites, and will do the same on my desktop if it shows up there, too. I don't mind a few discretely placed ads, but when the website more or less puts a gun to my face and tries to force me to see lots of trash google ads, I'm off.

So the site wanted me to disable ad-blocker after I ran CC cleaner on my computer. When some of you had already experienced problems and I hadn’t - I guess that was because I hadn’t run any cleaners for several weeks. So now I’m in the same boat as you all. My phone has actually never been a pain to use on the main site so that’s how I read CN now. The ad’s seem off to the side for the most part. But no, I won’t go there on my laptop anymore.

TRENDING THREADS