• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disturbing Horner interview

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Some people in here need to cool their jets. I've already handed out two strikes, and I'm tempted to hand out several more very quickly if the insults and off-topic garbage continues.

:mad:

Thank you! And given the tenor of the last several days, please feel free to come down even quicker and harder. I was sickened by Hog's comment yesterday that Horner's crash was the result of a "schoolboy error", because he had chosen to train in California rather than racing in Europe. Respect for injured riders should be one criteria of participating here; a total lack of it should earn people strikes.

Mr. O'Clock said:
As a sorts manager would a coach pull a quarterback out of the super bowl after a hard sacking.? would the coach be required to answer to the fans of football. curious that in cycling there are so many armchair quarterbacks. as far as Horner or any other hardcore veteran top tier cyclists go they would not volunteeringly withdrawal from the worlds' greatest cycling event.
horner wold have likely started if not for his leg injury.

Are you aware of the incredible attention that concussions and general head injury have been getting in football ? (American and I suspect that 'other' football :))

I cannot tell by your post if you are buttressing my point or attempting to disagree with me.

mewmewmew13 said:
Somehow I am having doubts about what comes out of Bruyneel's mouth.

Sure hope Chris IS really back to normal and not just spew from JB.

He has lost any credibility before yesterday. Don't any reporters have any gonads to stop allowing this crud and make him answer hard questions and shut down his second-rate politician's spin?

mewmewmew13 said:
with regards to Johan , I just saw this on my twitter feed...what is up with this comment? :confused:

@TaylorPhinney
@JohanBruyneel here's a quote for ya JB "When people who don't even KNOW you hate you, thats when you know you're doing something right."

JB is just one of many people who have ruined the most beautiful sport in the world to serve their needs. And now, to treat a human being with less concern than a sled dog is treated in the iditarod shows you what type of reptilian id rules his brain. What a cretin.

The quote is a tribute to how he justifies his narcissism. The world is full of despicable and stupid people like him. No one should allow fools like him to get in their head long enough to hate them. Just get them in your rearview mirror and keep looking forward. ;)

But it is fun to beat him up on a message board! :p

Descender said:
The people at the Spanish forum are insane lol, look what they came up with:

TxHuU.jpg
Haha, I don't post much over there, but I love that forum. They're all nuts.

Mr. O'Clock

BANNED
Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
Are you aware of the incredible attention that concussions and general head injury have been getting in football ? (American and I suspect that 'other' football :))

I cannot tell by your post if you are buttressing my point or attempting to disagree with me.

American football, ultimate fighting,pro wrestling, boxing, have to be the most devastating in terms of brain injury. looking at Horner yesterday I was not so aghast as the posters on the forum, it seemed he had had a concussion, yes, however I do not agree Horner should have been mandatorily withdrawn from the race by Bruyneel, or from the race doctor. I do feel that if Horner had not had the hemotoma on his leg, that he should have continued in the race.
it is easy for us from the bleachers to make the withdrawal call, or a criticism towards the DS or race doctor. however this is pro sports. also the tour where it is common for riders to ride with broken collarbones, tailbones, arms, ribs and yes concussions.
I do agree concussions are dangerous, and to continue would be ill advised for Horner, in case of another head blow impact. however it is the tour. it is an insane inhumane race, second in danger to the race across America. every stage riders risk their lives in the tour, look at Jens voight racing after last years devastating crash. I am more amazed that there are not more deaths like wouters' in the giro, big risks these athletes take.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What?

ghostofjoy said:
this is actually pretty clever :lol

don't they have a Spanish version of Photoshop? Looks like somebody cut Horner's pic out with a kitchen knife then glued it onto a "holy card". badly done, badly done

Mr. O'Clock said:
American football, ultimate fighting,pro wrestling, boxing, have to be the most devastating in terms of brain injury. looking at Horner yesterday I was not so aghast as the posters on the forum, it seemed he had had a concussion, yes, however I do not agree Horner should have been mandatorily withdrawn from the race by Bruyneel, or from the race doctor. I do feel that if Horner had not had the hemotoma on his leg, that he should have continued in the race.
it is easy for us from the bleachers to make the withdrawal call, or a criticism towards the DS or race doctor. however this is pro sports. also the tour where it is common for riders to ride with broken collarbones, tailbones, arms, ribs and yes concussions.
I do agree concussions are dangerous, and to continue would be ill advised for Horner, in case of another head blow impact. however it is the tour. it is an insane inhumane race, second in danger to the race across America. every stage riders risk their lives in the tour, look at Jens voight racing after last years devastating crash. I am more amazed that there are not more deaths like wouters' in the giro, big risks these athletes take.

Look, all I am saying is this: I can forgive the decision yesterday to allow him to finish, as stupid as it was, simply because things are happening so fast and there is so much chaos. And no I do NOT support the decision, I just said I get how things happen on the fly like that and it's the biggest race of the year, and frankly, your best guy is already out, Brajkovic so subconsciously a DS may be resistant to the notion AT THAT MOMENT to take another leader out.

BUT to come out today, to not even say, geez, I had no idea how out of his mind he was or I would never have allowed him to ride and then to top it off with he would be still riding if it weren't for the hematoma. It's like, 'Hey everyone, just in case any of you weren't yet aware of what a callous, heartless, brain dead, clueless jerk I am, I went and rented this giant searchlight that they use for car dealers grand openings so you can all see me.' All he had to do was take some ownership of the stupidity of the decision after a night's sleep and he'd look at least human. He's a horse's @ss.

Just mind boggling.

A

Anonymous

Mr. O'Clock said:

ultimate fighting is quite safe.. and come on its bad *** :D

Square-pedaller said:
I think the fact that the race doctor arranged for an ambulance with doctor on board to accompany Horner to the finish indicates what he would have done if he'd had the authority. Bruyneel is the only one who could have stopped Horner. He ought to be ashamed of himself.

And yet there are those on this thread saying that the doctor should be sacked...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I would have thought the race doctor had the ultimate say as to whether a rider could continue on medical grounds after an accident not a non medical person.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
The medical treatment for a severe concussion is 100% absolute rest. The idea that he rode to the finish is appalling.
There are of course several possibilities--
1. that initially he did not look or seem this bad and that he got WORSE BECAUSE of the riding and thats why he looked so out of it at the finish line
2. the doctor didnt conduct a mini mental check and see if he knew where what when etc and hence is culpable
3. the most likely--they all knew he was bad off he was and let him ride anyway
but only when he got off the bike did he look so outrageously horrible and confused

Anyone shows up like this after crashing in a club ride fellas--please get them an ambulance and a CT/MRI right away.

THe reports I read were that he "was improving" and his memory "is coming back". Retrograde amnesia for a day or two backwards from the injury is pretty significant. He recalls riding only the TTT.

Hope he gets well.
and as for VERSUS..what if he had a cerebral hemorrage and worsened and died overnight...and they had broadcast all that footage--very well could have happened. Very very poor taste.

That very thing just happened in the US in a baseball game with the Texas Rangers, TV stations playing the tapes of the guy falling out of the stands after trying to catch a baseball and on the ground as the paramedics carry him away yelling where is his son make sure his son is OK--his last words--broadcast over and over until the family called the stations and told them to stop.

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Just looked a the vid my brothers were nice enough to record of my recent concussion....I tried to talk them into continuing the ride...then I passed out. I hardly remember any of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGqxMGOwqs

Nasty 3 day recovery....sluggish, sleepy, and short term memory lapse.

I guess my point is that unlike other injuries, with the brain the patient loses the capacity for rational thought. I thought I was ok but the vid makes it look like I'm intoxicated or something. Glad I wasn't alone or I might have jumped back on the bike.

A

Anonymous

To be fair to the doctor, with the average age on the radioshack team, memory loss, dizziness and not knowing where you are is probably par for the course. :rolleyes:

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Mr. O'Clock said:

Yeah, except for the hematoma on his leg he should have continued. WTF!

Yesterday I nominated one your posts for dumbest post of the week. I take it back. I now nominate this new post.

ggusta said:
A little too soon for that type of humor. imo.
Humor is good for the mind, lack of it can be lethal. We can all benefit from some around here..plus i heard it delays onset Alzheimer's disease by 2 weeks over the best designed Emgen pill. ( our heart goes to Horner and all those who have crashed, but our smiles stay on our faces with a good cleansing joke)

Dedelou said:
Humor is good for the mind, lack of it can be lethal. We can all benefit from some around here..plus i heard it delays onset Alzheimer's disease by 2 weeks over the best designed Emgen pill. ( our heart goes to Horner and all those who have crashed, but our smiles stay on our faces with a good cleansing joke)

Timing. That's all I was saying.

teamskyfans said:
to be fair to the doctor, with the average age on the radioshack team, memory loss, dizziness and not knowing where you are is probably par for the course. :rolleyes:

lol!!

not to make little of Chris' injuries, but it looks like he will recover and we could all use a little release after the last two months' worth of sadness

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to find all the comments that Brunyeel has made in relation to this over the last day to see if anybody has got him to answer for why he did not immediately remove Horner from the race - as far as I can see no one has reported any such comments, so I can only assume that the question has not been asked.

Why not?

If you were interviewing him today there would be two clear questions you would ask (in order of priority):

1. How is Chris doing?
2. Why did you let him ride in that state?

TRENDING THREADS