• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disturbing Horner interview

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Damiano Machiavelli said:
He should have waited until it was no longer relevant or funny?

Lighten up.

One of us is taking this little tangent a little too seriously and it isn't me.

I said it was too soon in my opinion. Then I said if you want to find it funny go for it. And now saying anything at all is not good enough for you.

You really do need a laugh, don't you? I love message boards. Folks will get p!$$y over a speck of dust, which is about what this amounts to. Hilarious.

Lighten up? I already have. Now it's your turn! :p

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The scary thing about Horner was the continuous memory loss... as in losing it as quick as it came in... at the end of the ride.

That really isn't normal for a concussion. Memory loss... yeah. Even loss of events for a time after the concussion. But being able to respond like he was, be told what happened as you crossed the line, then losing it again by the time you exited the bus... that's not typical of concussion. It's more typical of bleeding in the brain.

All of the above is courtesy of my psychotherapist wife... I actually quized her after I saw the video. While she's not a brain surgeon or psychiatrist, she's familiar enough with brain injury to know that's not a typical reaction.

Also the loss of memory prior to the acident like he had is apparenlty very atypical. Normally you lose from the incident or shortly before to some point forward of that. He apparently lost from the team time trial on... several days of memories. She said that's more typical of something more then a concussion.

I do hope he's okay, but the "just a concussion" talk doesn't feel like it fits with the symptoms he showed. Perhaps he had an atypical reaction though.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I do hope he's okay, but the "just a concussion" talk doesn't feel like it fits with the symptoms he showed. Perhaps he had an atypical reaction though.

The really scary thought is that he might have had concussions from other crashes during his career. I hope they check him out very well, including his prior crash history.

fujitourer said:
I've been trying to find all the comments that Brunyeel has made in relation to this over the last day to see if anybody has got him to answer for why he did not immediately remove Horner from the race - as far as I can see no one has reported any such comments, so I can only assume that the question has not been asked.

Why not?

If you were interviewing him today there would be two clear questions you would ask (in order of priority):

1. How is Chris doing?
2. Why did you let him ride in that state?

1. What made you think he was ok to keep riding?
2. Which riders have ever told they were NOT well enough to keep riding after a crash? Have you ever overruled a rider who told you he was well enough to continue?
3. What tests do you routinely run on a rider who is knocked unconscious in a crash before allowing him to continue?
4. Did you spend any time reflecting on your decision last night or this morning?
5. You said the only reason he is not riding today is the hematoma? Are you saying if he had that sort of memory issues after having been knocked unconscious and NO hematoma you would have him on his bike today?
6 What duty do you feel you have to keep your riders safe?
7 Do you have a brain injury right now?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Zigster said:
I find it disturbing that I am getting all the best TDF coverage from Bicycling magazine

I know right? my thoughts as well. Great link and the interviews are quite good. who knew?

Frankie doesnt even stutter

May 27, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
1. What made you think he was ok to keep riding?
2. Which riders have ever told they were NOT well enough to keep riding after a crash? Have you ever overruled a rider who told you he was well enough to continue?
3. What tests do you routinely run on a rider who is knocked unconscious in a crash before allowing him to continue?
4. Did you spend any time reflecting on your decision last night or this morning?
5. You said the only reason he is not riding today is the hematoma? Are you saying if he had that sort of memory issues after having been knocked unconscious and NO hematoma you would have him on his bike today?
6 What duty do you feel you have to keep your riders safe?
7 Do you have a brain injury right now?

Those would do too :)

Also, where is the voice of those riders representatives? I thought ensuring rider safety is one of their top priorities... but they have nothing to say about this?

TRENDING THREADS