• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you believe that Lance's interview with Oprah improves his situation?

Do you believe that Lance's interview with Oprah improves his situation?

• No, but he told the whole truth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Haven't seen all of part 2 but what I've seen so far he is still playing the game, skirting the truth, ducking under questions, passing when its obvious but not saying it.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
In the short term and next few years, no. He's going to pay financially, legally and reputationally even more.

In the long term, for himself as a person, absolutely, he will be the better for it. It will help take a huge self-imposed burden off him coming clean about it, no matter how imperfectly. A long journey begins with one step. He's taken it.

And it's a big one he's taken, warts and all. That's undeniable.

Good on him. There's good authority for this, said by someone unique.

http://bible.cc/john/8-32.htm

Tyler Hamilton also said the same of Lance. He knows.

Told some of the truth, not all of it because of legal jeopardy, wanting to do TRIs again, etc.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I was disgusted with Part 2 and the lifelines she kept throwing him about his kids, etc.

No mention of Lemond, Brunyel, Simeoni, Bassons, etc.

I think he is lying about his kids. If I had a dad like him, I would be scared to death of him ...

I wonder if he was wearing a pager (set to vibrate mode) that his handlers would buz when it was time to cry.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
peterh said:
Oh sorry, misunderstanding. English is not my first language. My apology :)

No problem.

I don't think it will improve his situation because the half truths he told will bite him back and he will have to eventually tell the whole truth, whether if that is in court or to a governing body.

There was no choice for what I think. I do think it improves his ability to become a useful member of society down the road with continued therapy in dealing with his psychological issues. He is starting to face who he is and the consequences of his behavior.

As far as redemption to allow competition or gain forgiveness for his misdeeds I think it was a total Flop...

Does it improve his situation re court cases, USADA etc, probably not. Compensation cases will increase, the lifetime ban maybe lifted if he provides more detail of worth to investigators. Will he be less hated. No. Interesting to compare reactions to the interviews where he has admitted his guilt while others like Vino, Contador, Valverde and co who never admitted anything are treated reasonably. I agree with Tyler Hamilton that it is a first step in the right direction but opinions will still remain polarized. Some fans will be a lot more sympathetic than others while the general public will move on to some other scandal and Armstrong will fade from view eventually. The only thing it might do for him is to relieve the pressure, psychologically of living a lie for so long. Hamilton has spoken at length about that.

He has an army of lawyers advising him and a lot of powerful friends, allies and co-conspirators in the cycling world and beyond. So, this Oprah interview was carefully choreographed in terms of content, key message and omissions.

He would not have done it if it was not the best path for him.

no.

because it was way too obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was a carefully orchestrated (yet abysmal failure at the same time) PR move and that deep down he really doesn't care about anything other than making some cash and getting another shot at being on the news for winning something.

wirral said:
He has an army of lawyers advising him and a lot of powerful friends, allies and co-conspirators in the cycling world and beyond. So, this Oprah interview was carefully choreographed in terms of content, key message and omissions.

He would not have done it if it was not the best path for him.

agree, the Oprah meeting was a tough sales call. Now Armstrong will move to the next step: "contract" negotiations with USADA.

leftover pie said:
no.

because it was way too obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was a carefully orchestrated (yet abysmal failure at the same time) PR move and that deep down he really doesn't care about anything other than making some cash and getting another shot at being on the news for winning something.

It might to stupid people, to the rest with normal IQs it was just ****ing pathetic and disgraceful with it.

BowlingBall

BANNED
Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Obviously it does, because it couldn't have gotten any worse. You'd have to be an obtuce moron to think it made things worse. Things were already as bad as they can get!!

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
leftover pie said:
no

it was way too obvious to anyone with half a brain that it was a carefully orchestrated (yet abysmal failure at the same time) PR move and that deep down he really doesn't care about anything other than making some cash and getting another shot at being on the news for winning something.

Agreed. Totally (except the 'no' bit)

I still think, overrall, he'll come out of this in a better position than he was in last week. Not saying he should, not saying he deserves to...but let's face it, he was starting from a pretty low baseline. For some people, just getting their face on tv seems to benefit them, regardless of how callow they appear to viewers.

TRENDING THREADS