Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do You Consider J.Rodriguez a Wheelsucker?

  • Not really but his racing style can annoy me.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Just a thought for an exercise those who consider Jrod a wheelsucker to do: list those who attack more than him. I'm not talking breakaway specialists here, Jeremy Roy for example attacks all the time but he is not competing for the big wins Jrod is so just name the guys who are at the business end of classics and stage races. I am willing to bet you are left with a list of the most talented and attack minded riders in the sport.
 
Iker_Baqueiro said:
Rodriguez helped Froome chase down Contador, because Rodriguez does not forget the white glove slap that Contador gave him, when Alberto helped Tiralongo "steal" a stage victory from him in the 2011 Giro. Still hard feelings there.

You make friends but you also make enemies.
Oh. And here I was thinking he helped Froome to give himself a chance of a second stage win.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
movingtarget said:
Gerrans will outsprint Cancellara most times. Don't tell me that anyone in Gerrans's or Nibali's position would have done anything different if they wanted to win with Cancellara riding the way he was. Cancellara can only win one way, it either comes off or it doesn't. Gerrans rode a great race and Cancellara was the strongest. Often the winner is not the strongest, such is life.
While I agree that you have a point, my personal opinion is that Gerrans tactics that day lacked honor. Now, I've BEEN in races where I saw the same kind of behavior from other riders, so I KNOW it is done. No matter, I still think it lacked honor. If Gerrans had pulled through, not even a fair amount, but once or twice for show, I believe he would have lost. He was that knackered. He had enough in his legs for that one last effort, not more. Personally, my feeling is that when one guy makes such an ending possible, honor means I should respect that effort, and I don't think Gerrans showed any respect for Canc.

That's my opinion. That won't change because I'm told "thats the way cycling is". Sure, and sometimes that IS the way cycling is. But a lot of times it is not the way it is. So now Gerrans is on my poop-list, and he would have to do something big for me to see him as wearing a white hat.

Ooops - sorry - this is supposed to be about JR. Well, I have yet to see Rodriguez do anything nearly as dishonorable as Gerrans' stunt. Amof, seems to me JR is usually a driver of events, not a follower. Sometimes he has ridden defensively, but he follows up when he can with a good attack. I like that.

Oh, and one other thing, is my memory bad, but didn't Nibali actually pull through once or twice?
 
wwabbit said:
Oh. And here I was thinking he helped Froome to give himself a chance of a second stage win.
Now are you guys really sure he helped Froome? Because each time I saw an Image of the chase it was Froome up front and Purito on his wheel. did you see him help at any time?
 
It is in the full highlights. Froome started the chase and JR joined him, at some point JR took over in front. Near the summit JR gave Froome a push from behind as Froome moved to the front.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
hiero2 said:
While I agree that you have a point, my personal opinion is that Gerrans tactics that day lacked honor. Now, I've BEEN in races where I saw the same kind of behavior from other riders, so I KNOW it is done. No matter, I still think it lacked honor. If Gerrans had pulled through, not even a fair amount, but once or twice for show, I believe he would have lost. He was that knackered. He had enough in his legs for that one last effort, not more. Personally, my feeling is that when one guy makes such an ending possible, honor means I should respect that effort, and I don't think Gerrans showed any respect for Canc.

That's my opinion. That won't change because I'm told "thats the way cycling is". Sure, and sometimes that IS the way cycling is. But a lot of times it is not the way it is. So now Gerrans is on my poop-list, and he would have to do something big for me to see him as wearing a white hat.

Ooops - sorry - this is supposed to be about JR. Well, I have yet to see Rodriguez do anything nearly as dishonorable as Gerrans' stunt. Amof, seems to me JR is usually a driver of events, not a follower. Sometimes he has ridden defensively, but he follows up when he can with a good attack. I like that.

Oh, and one other thing, is my memory bad, but didn't Nibali actually pull through once or twice?
IIRC Gerrans did pull through once, but the pace was so high that he couldn't last long and Cance had to pull through again.

However I do agree with your main point, especially the bolded. In my own races I always try to do my fair share of work on the front. The bolded also reminds me of something a teammate of mine did. Him and another guy broke away in a road race, the other guy did a lot of work so he didn't challenge him in the sprint because he felt the other guy deserved the win for doing so much work. Now that, is respect for the other riders effort! :)

Nibali didn't do any pulls as far as I remember, but I don't think he was able to. He seemed at his limit.
 
hiero2 said:
While I agree that you have a point, my personal opinion is that Gerrans tactics that day lacked honor. Now, I've BEEN in races where I saw the same kind of behavior from other riders, so I KNOW it is done. No matter, I still think it lacked honor. If Gerrans had pulled through, not even a fair amount, but once or twice for show, I believe he would have lost. He was that knackered. He had enough in his legs for that one last effort, not more. Personally, my feeling is that when one guy makes such an ending possible, honor means I should respect that effort, and I don't think Gerrans showed any respect for Canc.

That's my opinion. That won't change because I'm told "thats the way cycling is". Sure, and sometimes that IS the way cycling is. But a lot of times it is not the way it is. So now Gerrans is on my poop-list, and he would have to do something big for me to see him as wearing a white hat.

Ooops - sorry - this is supposed to be about JR. Well, I have yet to see Rodriguez do anything nearly as dishonorable as Gerrans' stunt. Amof, seems to me JR is usually a driver of events, not a follower. Sometimes he has ridden defensively, but he follows up when he can with a good attack. I like that.

Oh, and one other thing, is my memory bad, but didn't Nibali actually pull through once or twice?
I agree. Just a single short pull would have given his eventual win (if in fact he would have had anything left after his pull) credibility and been acceptable for me, but to sit on the wheel refusing to pull through at all and then jump Cancellara at the line was rather shameful. I agree also that had he taken a turn on the front that he would've been toast and Cancellara would've either smoked him in the sprint or attacked him immediately after his pull and left him for dead. Gerrans knew this and took the free ride to victory.
 
Afrank said:
Nibali didn't do any pulls as far as I remember, but I don't think he was able to. He seemed at his limit.
That's how I remember too. Nibali was cooked and hanging on by a thread. There was no way he could've taken a pull and still been there at the end.
 
Angliru said:
I agree. Just a single short pull would have given his eventual win (if in fact he would have had anything left after his pull) credibility and been acceptable for me, but to sit on the wheel refusing to pull through at all and then jump Cancellara at the line was rather shameful. I agree also that had he taken a turn on the front that he would've been toast and Cancellara would've either smoked him in the sprint or attacked him immediately after his pull and left him for dead. Gerrans knew this and took the free ride to victory.
Win or lose, Cancellara was responsible for the break to stay away. He took his chances, everybody played their parts, Nibali did nothing hoping his teammate can catch up, and Gerrans win was well deserved. Every rider has its own strengths. This not about honor at all.
 
cineteq said:
Win or lose, Cancellara was responsible for the break to stay away. He took his chances, everybody played their parts, Nibali did nothing hoping his teammate can catch up, and Gerrans win was well deserved. Every rider has its own strengths. This not about honor at all.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
 
Racing is about winning, and Canc showed he doesn't have what it takes to win. Legs alone doesn't bring one on top of the podium, brain and racing smarts are also important, so Canc will most likely continue to stack monument 2nd places.
 
Netserk said:
Racing is about winning, and Canc showed he doesn't have what it takes to win. Legs alone doesn't bring one on top of the podium, brain and racing smarts are also important, so Canc will most likely continue to stack monument 2nd places.
Hasn't he won multiple monuments already?:confused:
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Netserk said:
Back when he had a brain in his earpiece. Now (since 2011) he shows his natural racing smarts, which is dreadful.
What smart racing did he do in the RVV in 2010?

In paris-roubaix '10 he attacked on the right timing, but even without that i don't think he would have lost anyways. He was too good that day.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Miburo said:
What smart racing did he do in the RVV in 2010?

In paris-roubaix '10 he attacked on the right timing, but even without that i don't think he would have lost anyways. He was too good that day.
Simple, he all of a sudden improved a lot in 2010(or should I say the end of 2009), so everyone underrated him. That only worked once.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
El Pistolero said:
Simple, he all of a sudden improved a lot in 2010(or should I say the end of 2009), so everyone underrated him. That only worked once.
Yep. Boonen underrated him, so he decided to drop on the muur to give him a chance.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Miburo said:
Yep. Boonen underrated him, so he decided to drop on the muur to give him a chance.
Everyone underrated him. Cancellara had never in his life been close to winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen before 2010 and his Roubaix win of 2006 is more famous for the train incident than anything he did.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Everyone underrated him. Cancellara had never in his life been close to winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen before 2010 and his Roubaix win of 2006 is more famous for the train incident than anything he did.
Indeed. Cancellara is a trainsucker first class.

Better get in third than 15th in the bunch sprint we might say?
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
El Pistolero said:
Everyone underrated him. Cancellara had never in his life been close to winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen before 2010 and his Roubaix win of 2006 is more famous for the train incident than anything he did.
Since when is RVV the standard to underrate someone?

Olympics don't play? Milan-sanremo doesn't matter? Winning paris-roubaux is irrelevant? Being WC ITT means ****?

Wasn't Canc the favorite to win RVV in 2010? :D
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Miburo said:
Since when is RVV the standard to underrate someone?

Olympics don't play? Milan-sanremo doesn't matter? Winning paris-roubaux is irrelevant? Being WC ITT means ****?

Wasn't Canc the favorite to win RVV in 2010? :D
I fail to see what Milan-San Remo has to do with the Ronde van Vlaanderen? Is Gerrans top favorite for the Ronde now? Or Goss? Or is Tony Martin going to be the favorite now?

Cancellara was favorite because of his win in the E3 Prijs Harelbeke the week before, but not the top favorite. Roubaix is a totally different race than the Ronde. Hushovd is good at Roubaix, but has never shown something in the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Nuyens has been good in the Ronde, but never did much in Roubaix.

If Boonen didn't co-operate with Cancellara that day he would've won the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Be glad Boonen isn't a wheelsucker. ;)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY