• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do You Enjoy Watching Races?

Do You Enjoy Watching Races?

• lets get on our bikes more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I love watching races (of course, what would I be doing on a cycling forum otherwise). To be honest, I don't bother with clinic stuff during a race too much, I only start to analyze it afterwards. Unless it get's really ridiculous, which unfortunately we had a couple of cases this year.

But even then, I can still enjoy a race even when I'm convinced the winner is a cheat.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed it more before I knew much about doping and thought everyone was clean or that if anyone dared to dope they would get busted.

These days I dont really have anyone I feel too strongly about and watch mostly for good racing and scenery.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm for the Vino option: Love watching the races even if everyone knows the peloton is doped to the gills.

At least there are some moments where the doping does not matter too much, like Voeckler being outvoecklered in the Wallonie.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Missing Choices (based on forum comments):

* No, I never watch racing.
* No, I only read the headline news and comment as if I watched it in its entirety.
* Yes, but only the highlight clips.
* Only if there is a doping positive being reported or associated with the stage.
* Only Watch JV approved/attended races.

(not that I would pick those but feel they need to be added to fully represent the audience here)

doperhopper said:
I'm for the Vino option: Love watching the races even if everyone knows the peloton is doped to the gills.

At least there are some moments where the doping does not matter too much, like Voeckler being outvoecklered in the Wallonie.

I bit of this, but I still hate it when the most ridiculous dopers claim they're the cleanest ever.

I think people are naive to think doping will never effect them. Unless you are truly hardcore like our dear friend jens attacks.

Its sort of like the old example of someone who is apathetic about politics meeting a revolutionary. The revolutionary says " when your street is the one bombed, when your village suffers economically, when your family is the one that loses out- then will you remain apolitical?"

Cycling doesn't go that far of course but there is still a moral event horizon that can be crossed.

Doping can seem superficial to some at first but at the end of the day it also cuts deep into the sport.

I went into the sport thinking I could ignore a lot of the doping even if I knew it was taking place because there are far far worse things that I read about all the time. Athletes risking their health is not the most important issue we face.

But doping will never just be riders risking their health. There is a whole politics and corruption behind it. With Lance for example it went so far, one couldn't just sit back and ignore it.

Yes, I like to watch the races but I know it's not real. I watch mainly for the comedy value. I like the scenery too. :)

Particular LOL moments for me include:

Mutant performances
Out-of-contract donkey to race horse transformations/performances
Obvious (to me) selling/buying of races
PR BSers who try to tell us the above don't happen/is "getting better"
The UCI
Mark Cavendish TV interviews

Most people watch some kind of weird reality TV show to get their freak show entertainment fix; I watch pro cycling to get mine. I don't take it seriously.

you forgot this option:
Yes I love watching races, but these guys are dopers and I wish I could forget them bums...and you are a n00b ;)
:D

Now for the smackdown. Although I consider this a trolling thread, the attempt is lame and it is being taken in a light hearted and good natured manner so I will leave it open for now. However if it degenerates into insults it will be closed.

Now back to the fun side of it :)

TRENDING THREADS