• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you support the riders' protest (stage 15 giro)?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Do you support the protest?

• Neutral/don't know/don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
They softpedalled for the whole Cenis so people assumed this was a protest.

Someone even attacked and he got pulled back directly and got called names (according to rai).

And some were complaining yesterday, maybe they wanted to take it easy but i doubt it.

Miburo said:
Someone even attacked and he got pulled back directly and got called names (according to rai).

Thanks buddy, you don't need to remind me what I posted myself. It was Ermeti anyway.

Maybe there was a collective agreement not to race on Moncenisio. This doesn't mean there was a protest. It if actually was a protest, it failed miserably because nobody even understood the issue they wanted to address.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't sound like much of a protest, I'm betting they just wanted to take it a little easier after so many days in the rain and cold. If they were protesting about the route or anything like that, then they need to harden up.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
from Cameron Wurf's blog:
"As often happens in cycling the riders quickly formed an agreement to make everyone happy and all stay together up and over the first pass and down the potentially cold and snowy decent before going hell for leather up the col d telegraphe and infamous galibier to the finish. This way the race went ahead as planned and all the riders were satisfied that they would be safe on this particular potentially risky part of the course. So how is this controlled? Well basically once the accord is struck up with the race leader I guess having the biggest say you would have to be a bit of a donkey to go against the wishes of the masses. The cycling world is small and it would surely bite you on the **** pretty hard if you did. So along with vincenso nibali some more senior and respected riders such as luca paolini, christian knees and our very own fabio sabatini set up shop on the front row and controlled the pace and also made it very clear that disobedience would not be tolerated. Being the end of the 2nd week of the giro is perhaps an easier time to police such a blockade as everyone is tired, everyone is sick of getting wet and cold, and I reckon everybody enjoyed the 60km or so of extra tranquillity in what's been as absolutely out of control unpredictable giro so far!

So all was going well with the agreement until the final km of the first climb where it was apparent that the road and conditions were no where near as dangerous or atrocious as was anticipated. At this point a few guys took off against the will of the bunch including the eventual stage winner gianni visconti. Its was perhaps a bit of a sneaky move but in reality a race is a race and if those particular guys wanted to break the accord then all the power to them. The peleton also ultimately has the ultimate say as we have 100+ strong dudes to pull if back if we want but it was let go and in the end gianni truly did an incredible job to hold onto the lead and win the stage."

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
So as I guessed it wasn't a protest at all. We can close this thread.
You are right, it was just poor showing. Taking away the chance for long break riders for their moment of glory. An extra 'restday' for those who are tired after 2 maybe 3 hilly stages and one and a half mountain stages.

Really, Mont Cenis and the Galibier, what a killer stage. Good thing it started snowing on the Galibier, bet the autobus regretted their softpedalling.

TRENDING THREADS