• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you use livestrong.COM to live strong?

Do you use the tools on livestrong.COM to set goals, take "dares", set up a program to lose weight and get in shape, calculate how many calories you should be eating per day given how much you're exercising and whether you want to lose, gain or maintain weight? To calculate how many calories you're eating and burning? To calculate how many calories are in a given meal?

Why or why not?

If you do use the site, does knowing who owns the site and profits from the ads matter to you?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Do you use the tools on livestrong.COM to set goals, take "dares", set up a program to lose weight and get in shape, calculate how many calories you should be eating per day given how much you're exercising and whether you want to lose, gain or maintain weight? To calculate how many calories you're eating and burning? To calculate how many calories are in a given meal?

Why or why not?

If you do use the site, does knowing who owns the site and profits from the ads matter to you?

I just use common sense. ie. Don't eat too much stuff that wasn't around 1000 years ago (junk food) and get plenty of exercise. I don't need a tool from a web site to tell me that eating McDonalds every day is a bad idea. ;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
I just use common sense. ie. Don't eat too much stuff that wasn't around 1000 years ago (junk food) and get plenty of exercise. I don't need a tool from a web site to tell me that eating McDonalds every day is a bad idea. ;)
The Hamburglar strikes again!!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
"Give me equity in your house!"

hamburgler.jpg

Cobber said:
Well, you're in the minority then, or perhaps still in your 20s or early 30s.

Most folks in their late 30s, 40s and beyond are carrying more weight than they should, and could use help. I have found the tools at livestrong.com to be very useful in this regard.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

Why or why not?

No. Two reasons. Firstly, up until the time of some of these threads, I thought LiveStrong was a non-profit cancer awareness/advocacy organization and was not aware that there was a .org and .com and that these had different roles. I don't donate to LAF because I prefer to donate to cancer research rather than advocacy and keep my contributions local, not because of Lance or any other reason. Secondly, I have a coach and get nutritional advice through this coaching service.

Who owns the site and who profits doesn't concern me. I frequently use Google and have no idea of who owns Google, how much money someone makes of the ads, and who profits from the ads.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

No. I use a rare and exciting product called Common Sense. It’s a little rare but once you learn how to use it it can give you some amazing results.

Here in Ireland if we want to lose weight, there's a ground brekaing initiative being tested - We try and burn off more calories than we take in during a day. The government here are in serious sh** financially, so there's talk of patenting the idea and selling it off to other developed countries. When confronted by someone that we could be impacting on the 'success' of Livestrong.COM, a referendum was held. We are currently awaiting the results.
Another idea ,which has been passed down from leprechaun years, is to not eat too much saturated fat, such as chips and burgers. The leprechauns had a saying 'LIVELONG'...And they're still around so I think we should take on board their advice.

Digger said:
Here in Ireland if we want to lose weight, there's a ground brekaing initiative being tested - We try and burn off more calories than we take in during a day. The government here are in serious sh** financially, so there's talk of patenting the idea and selling it off to other developed countries. When confronted by someone that we could be impacting on the 'success' of Livestrong.COM, a referendum was held. We are currently awaiting the results.
Another idea ,which has been passed down from leprechaun years, is to not eat too much saturated fat, such as chips and burgers. The leprechauns had a saying 'LIVELONG'...And they're still around so I think we should take on board their advice.

How are the potatoes this year?

(Sorry that was in really bad taste, insensitive and probably slightly rascist :rolleyes: but couldn't resist. Although in my defense my family way back when left Ireland to escape famine)

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
livestrong.ORG - the charity
livestrong.COM - LA's money making bonanza . Poor governance as they are marketed as one and the same.

if La uploads a video 300,000 hits are not uncommon. check the stats and the income is massive even before ads.

he is not kemo for the planet

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I read some of the 'Dares' in finding a job. After a couple of minutes I was ready for the bucket.

"I have applied for a job to flip burgers at Burger King, wish me luck."

No, I do not use the site and I also had my name removed from the livestrong emails as well. After this year's tour when Mr. Armstrong was acting like the 8th graders I used to teach (dissing his own team mate who beat him) I am left wondering if this is the general daily atmosphere in the livestrong organization as well. Someone close to me used Mr. Armstrongs book for inspiration during a fight with cancer, but now wonders when he is going to grow up and lead the organization like an adult.

A

Anonymous

the wife uses it, and has used it for a couple of years..

she puts her meals in, checks calories counts and all that garb.. shes a dance teacher and likes to keep an eye on if she is getting a balanced diet etc...

its free, it works for her, dont have an issue...

is this going to be another lance bashing thread, or a discussion on the merits or downsides of the livestrong site?

A

Anonymous

Ya know, it's a great tool. I used it to get started on healthier eating habits and an idea of what I eat. I found that some things I thought were healthy were high in calories and so on. So I knew to ease up on that stuff.

I don't track anymore but now that I have a better idea of what's good and what's not, aside from the obvious burger and fries crap, I am better aware of what I eat. For instance, I love granola but it's high in fat and calories but oh so good. I just eat it in moderation. The site taught me portion control. I can approximate amounts so I don't over do it yet still I am able to eat what I like.

There are a million other sites like it but this one was appealing to me cuz it was easy to use and I was able to get their APPS on my iPod to make it easy to track. Plus, you know you have a good support group within the other members that are willing to give encouragement.

Do I care if the $$ from .com goes to LA? Nope. It didn't cost me a thing to use. And to many it's not about that... it's the sense of community and like-minded folks that have similar goals to lose weight, quit smoking, etc., regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the bike.

It's a good tool for those that wish to use it.

TRENDING THREADS