• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do you wish Bernard Kohl well with his new Business??

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Problem is, you can't prove a negative. Lets assume Cadel or obree or lemond were/are clean, how do we know? How can he champion clean cycling without us knowing he is clean. You win in a field with dopers you are under suspicion.

It am slightly suspicious of them all for the reasons you stated. But there is absolutely nothing to link Cadel to doping. No circumstancial evidence, no inconsistency, nothing. In which case, I fugure you have to give him the benefit of doubt. Which makes him a pretty damn good rider, if it's true.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Off the top of my head, Cadel was at mapei and t-mobile, when EPO was all the rage. Then there are supporting arguments as to why he wasn't the team program at least at T-mobile, didn't get food poisoning, was snubbed for a tour spot after winning the tour of austria.

My point is as you say, you give him the benefit of the doubt...doubt can't exist if we are going to hold up a shining light of anti doping heroics.

We need one rider who wins, to do ED-tv, look it up in IMDB if you don't know what I'm talking about. Any volunteers?

= 7 1 4 = said:
everybody today is looking for every way around a hard training program. i see people jacking off at 15 mph on $1,500 wheels, that's the norm today, the sport's all ****ed up.

While I don't really agree with holding out for wishing Kohl well, this paragraph cannot be truer!

I would think that the only type of person who can wish ill on Bernard K. is one who has never "cheated", in one way or another, in his life.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
karlboss:

I suggested some months ago that to achieve a clean tour the riders should be chaperoned throughout the event by the testers. Essentially the notion is they are not allowed out of sight, day or night, from day 1 to day 21. People mostly here objected complaining it would make prisoners out of athletes. I retorted that noone forces athletes to compete in the tour and the only restrictions placed on them would be not being allowed to dope.

Besides that, if one rider volunteered for Ed tv type transparency that would be interesting. If it was a podium rided everybody would surely be impressed :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sars1981 said:
karlboss:

I suggested some months ago that to achieve a clean tour the riders should be chaperoned throughout the event by the testers. Essentially the notion is they are not allowed out of sight, day or night, from day 1 to day 21. People mostly here objected complaining it would make prisoners out of athletes. I retorted that noone forces athletes to compete in the tour and the only restrictions placed on them would be not being allowed to dope.

Besides that, if one rider volunteered for Ed tv type transparency that would be interesting. If it was a podium rided everybody would surely be impressed :D

Unfortunately, I agree with most, on the prisoner aspect. Hence a volunteer for ED-tv. Tell you what if I ride the tour, I'll do it.

On Kohl: did the crime, did the time, don't care one way or the other if he does well or not. I think doping is far more widespread than those caught, so I think he should have be able to the sport unhindered if he wants and find a ride. I'm not going to barrack for him though.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
sars1981 said:
@= 7 1 4 =, Everyboys seems to believe Cadel Evans is a clean rider, or if not totally clean, then then cleanish. He's been fighting the fight for a clean sport for a long time.

Does he get any special support or acknowledgement on this forum? No.

What conclusions can you draw from this? Hmmmm..

karlboss said:
Off the top of my head, Cadel was at mapei and t-mobile, when EPO was all the rage. Then there are supporting arguments as to why he wasn't the team program at least at T-mobile, didn't get food poisoning, was snubbed for a tour spot after winning the tour of austria.

My point is as you say, you give him the benefit of the doubt...doubt can't exist if we are going to hold up a shining light of anti doping heroics.

We need one rider who wins, to do ED-tv, look it up in IMDB if you don't know what I'm talking about. Any volunteers?

I give Cadel Evans a little less 'benefit of the doubt' after seeing this interview with Andrew Denton. Something about the blankness of his face & the pause before his response when Denton asks if he has ever been offered PEDs seems rather revealing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqX6yFaoOC8

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
I give Cadel Evans a little less 'benefit of the doubt' after seeing this interview with Andrew Denton. Something about the blankness of his face & the pause before his response when Denton asks if he has ever been offered PEDs seems rather revealing ...

So you're going to doubt him because of the satellite delay (which you can hear on the first question on that clip)? Even by the standards of this forum, that's pretty stupid.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:

lol. I think, as the poster above pointed out, a satelite delay would be a better explanation of that pause. However I do think its an intentional load of garbage that he dribbled there - the risks are too high, the controls are too good, etc. This is the kind of cycling PR rubbish you expect from phil ligget. Curious.

sars1981 said:
lol. I think, as the poster above pointed out, a satelite delay would be a better explanation of that pause. However I do think its an intentional load of garbage that he dribbled there - the risks are too high, the controls are too good, etc. This is the kind of cycling PR rubbish you expect from phil ligget. Curious.

Even if he's never been on the "full program", he's still loyal to the omerta.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
LOL. Yeah, you're probably right about the satellite factor ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

sars1981 and Ferminal: Yeah, I think you're on the money.

He trotted out all the standard BS/Omerta and I had expected something different/better, because of all the "Evans is clean" stuff I have heard.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Reading this thread and the mixed messages therein regarding omerta and the nature of the brittle brute that is the peloton I found my self pondering the origins of originality before realising that I was not the first to so do. I got a new espresso machine yesterday that allows me to unblock the passage of time and repackage it as a defence of the realms of ridiculousness that the sport of cycling descends to almost all the time, to defend a lie that all can see for what it is. Dishonesty pays huge dividends, from the top to the bottom, that will never change.

Owning and running a bike shop will help to keep him from the old King Dohl, it is bike shops, like chip shops, and the ease with which they can be run, that allows Donkeys to run along side thorough breds. The level of intelligence required to keep the show on the road is relative to what appears at the top of the ladder/dopium.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
So when Kohl sells you a bike, who's gonna back up the product?
Is it going to be the coward who will do anything to avoid jail time?

I'd prefer he not prey on the naive, sympathetic suckers looking for novelty. He should stay away from the bike industry and return to chimney sweeping, although I'd feel sorry for anyone who relied on his service and had their house burn down.