• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Andy need to drop Frank if he wants to win the Tour?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting article that Hog posted. BTW, i don't know why Andy totally played down his TTing in it. In the 40k Annecy time trial this year he finished less than 20 secs behind Lance and only a minute behind the likes of Cadel, Kloden and Wiggins. He even finished ahead of bona fide time trialists like Vandevelde and Kreuziger, both of whom still had a good GC placing to protect. Obviously the 1:45 he lost to Contador in Annecy will have to go down to something like 30 secs to a maximum of a minute if he wants to have a shot to win next year.

Back to the original topic: Andy will need as many good climbers as he can get to stand a chance of isolating and breaking Contador or Armstrong next year, and his big bro is one of the best climbers in the world. I think last year was a pretty unique situation. Especially on the Ventoux Andy didn't have a realistic chance to beat Contador in the GC anymore, so the aim became to try and drop the Wiggins' and Armstrong's in that group to help out Schleck the Elder. Next year, when the chips are down and Andy has a serious shot at potentially putting time into Contador when it still matters I don't doubt he will pull as hard as he can, even if it means dropping his bro.

BTW, I would love to see Andy in Flanders. The likes of Hoste, Boonen and Hushovd better watch out if he's going to turbo mode on the Oude Kwaremont to set up The Canc. Schleck the Younger definitely has the capacity to add some extra intrigue into the race at some point.

Moondance said:
Interesting article that Hog posted. BTW, i don't know why Andy totally played down his TTing in it. In the 40k Annecy time trial this year he finished less than 20 secs behind Lance and only a minute behind the likes of Cadel, Kloden and Wiggins. He even finished ahead of bona fide time trialists like Vandevelde and Kreuziger, both of whom still had a good GC placing to protect. Obviously the 1:45 he lost to Contador in Annecy will have to go down to something like 30 secs to a maximum of a minute if he wants to have a shot to win next year.

Back to the original topic: Andy will need as many good climbers as he can get to stand a chance of isolating and breaking Contador or Armstrong next year, and his big bro is one of the best climbers in the world. I think last year was a pretty unique situation. Especially on the Ventoux Andy didn't have a realistic chance to beat Contador in the GC anymore, so the aim became to try and drop the Wiggins' and Armstrong's in that group to help out Schleck the Elder. Next year, when the chips are down and Andy has a serious shot at potentially putting time into Contador when it still matters I don't doubt he will pull as hard as he can, even if it means dropping his bro.

We saw that this year on Verbier--though he was the one getting dropped by AC. I don't think I've ever seen Andy accelerate in such a way to put AC in distress or put considerable distance between them. Not saying that it is not possible, just that I've never seen it done by AS. Plus I think an important part of Andy's attack is using Frank as a decoy (I call it the yo-yo strategy).

Publicus said:
We saw that this year on Verbier--though he was the one getting dropped by AC. I don't think I've ever seen Andy accelerate in such a way to put AC in distress or put considerable distance between them. Not saying that it is not possible, just that I've never seen it done by AS. Plus I think an important part of Andy's attack is using Frank as a decoy (I call it the yo-yo strategy).

I too never said that he would necessarily succeed if he tried. Don't put words in my text.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Both of the Schlecks are very likeable. I've always thought it says a lot of good things about their parents that they are so close as adults. Not everybody could do that without some sibling rivalry.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Frank knows he's not a contender. I suspect you'll see Frank riding in more of a support role in the 2010 TDF. There was certainly a possibility of Frank making the podium this year and I don't really find fault with anything Andy did.

That said, I think it's great that Andy was concerned about his brother's GC placement. How refreshing in this day of doing anything to win ( see LA ).

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I think Frank knows he's not a contender. I suspect you'll see Frank riding in more of a support role in the 2010 TDF. There was certainly a possibility of Frank making the podium this year and I don't really find fault with anything Andy did.

That said, I think it's great that Andy was concerned about his brother's GC placement. How refreshing in this day of doing anything to win ( see LA ).

Why isn't Fränk a contender? He isn't good in the TTs, but neither is Andy, and there aren't many TT kms this year.

Anyway, if he wasn't going to be a contender (though he's going to be one), why not ride the Giro? One of them could win it with so few TT kms.

Frank Schleck asked his girlfriend Martine yesterday evening in Curacao to marry him. During a grand fireworks display at the Lions Dive & Beach Many of Frank's competitors were in attendance for the celebration.

The idea was spontaneous as Frank took advantage of the moment at the edge of the pool under the colorful sky to make his proposal. Martine said yes immediately. Later there was a small party with a champagne celebration including Tour winner Alberto Contador who lifted the glass to the Luxembourg couple.

Schleck Brothers

Frank will never win the Tour due to his time trialling. I actually think Frank should concentrate more on the classics and stage wins like Cunego. Andy is a much stronger stage race rider now. Andy won't win a Tour if he keeps looking around and waiting for his brother. I don't think separate teams would make a big difference to Andy.

TRENDING THREADS