• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Contador have what it takes, MENTALY, to be a consistant champion??

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-elated-but-admits-he-struggled

He suffered today, he showed that he panics and acts reckles under pressure (not the first time)...

He's a great rider(he won me over this year),but is he strong enough to cope with the ever mounting pressure...? Or will Schleck, a Basso, or a Menchov get the better of him in the near future??

Cycling just got interesting:cool:

His 5 grand tour titles are a clear indicator that he does have what it takes.

As for someone catching him... well, the sun always sets, and apples always fall.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Belokki said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-elated-but-admits-he-struggled

He suffered today, he showed that he panics and acts reckles under pressure (not the first time)...

He's a great rider(he won me over this year),but is he strong enough to cope with the ever mounting pressure...? Or will Schleck, a Basso, or a Menchov get the better of him in the near future??

Cycling just got interesting:cool:

Exactly how consistent do you expect him to be when he's won the last 5 grand tours that he's competed, facing exceptional circumstances and/or competition in all of them? It appears that winning in the face of adversity and extreme pressure is one of the true signs of a great champion.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
His anxiety problems have an easy solution.

I think his mail problem this year is that he did not show up at 100% and something tells me he underestimated Andy a little bit.

I bet next year is going to be different.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I think Contador is very strong mentally and he showed it last year with all the problems with Armstrong and the team. Besides, before this Tour he was the number one favorite to win and he did it, which is not easy.

You can't expect to win a Tour the France without having problems, but Contador has taken part in six GT and he has won five, so he can handle with pressure.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You have been listening to to much Versus commentary. Instead of calling the race they feed viewers some pre-scripted narrative that often has little to do with what's going on in front of them.

He won 5 Tours including the Giro and Vuelta in the same year. He's had a stellar early season contesting multiple races and winning and still had enough gas for the TdF. He is focused and disciplined and has beat the best in the world in cycling's greatest races 5 out of 5 times.

Turn off Phil and Paul and check out what's actually happening on the road.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
He won 5 GTs in a row, if that doesn't make you a consistent champion I don't know what does.

Not if you're Alberto Contador.

You have to understand, he was the only one able to retire Lance, and the American's bítches (Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwin, Bob Roll and Greg Hummer) will never forgive him for that. So the LA crowd, acting like a well-oiled team of gossip prostitutes, go out and spread the slogans out without even giving it any though. Some of those slogans make it to these forums too. So we get people questioning the endurance of a guy who's won 5 GTs, something only a handfull of athletes have ever been able to do. And, consequently, something even Lancy Boy wasn't even able to do himself.

Their commentary is so one-sided, their dislike so ingrained that if you go back to the beginning of the Tour you'd find out that 60-70% of their predictions were dead wrong. And this is supposed to be a panel of "experts" mind you.

Doesn't matter what Alberto does. In their eyes he's always about to crack or unable to follow someone up a climb or about to stab someone in the back, or about to attack his own teammates, about to be dropped, et cetera.

The most pathetic bunch of lunatics I've ever seen and heard in my life.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Is this thread a joke??

- 3 Tours
- 1 Giro
- 1 Vuelta

+ all the 1-week and 1-day races.

And you still ask if he's a mentally consistent??

PD: Please check your spelling.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
Not if you're Alberto Contador.

You have to understand, he was the only one who put the nails in the Lance Armstrong couffin, and the American's bítches (Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwin, Bob Roll and Greg Hummer) will never forgive him for that.

Doesn't matter what Alberto does. In their eyes he's always about to crack or unable to follow someone up a climb or about to stab someone in the back, or about to attack his own teammates, about to be dropped, et cetera.

The most pathetic bunch of lunatics I've ever seen and heard in my life.

+1, I totally agree.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
His 5 grand tour titles are a clear indicator that he does have what it takes.

As for someone catching him... well, the sun always sets, and apples always fall.

His opposition has been dredfull until the near present!

2009 Tour: An ancient Armstrong and a green Schleck
2008 Giro: Ricco, Bruseghin:rolleyes:
2008 Vuelta: an ancient Sastre and Levi, who in their primes(middle of the Lance era) werent even top 5!!!! :confused:
2007: He was practically handed the wictory

Only in this years edition did he have a real opponent with a pulse in Schleck and a sneaky Menchov(aggain, a part of the old guard, who was nowhere in his prime, when prime Basso, Ullrich, Kloden, Vino, Armstrong ruled)

He had it easy so far, strongest team with weak opponents, the real test of his strenght and carachter beggins now... We will se if he has what it takes to be an ATG!

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Belokki said:

2008 Vuelta: an ancient Sastre and Levi, who in their primes(middle of the Lance era) werent even top 5!!!! :confused:

Only in this years edition did he have a real opponent with a pulse in Schleck and a sneaky Menchov(aggain, a part of the old guard, who was nowhere in his prime, when prime Basso, Ullrich, Kloden, Vino, Armstrong ruled)

He had it easy so far, strongest team with weak opponents, the real test of his strenght and carachter beggins now...
an ancient Tour de France winner from that year...
btw. this whole thread is a joke, asking whether winner of 5 consecutive GTs at age of 27 has mental strength is politely said "funny"

What.

"Ancient" 2008 Sastre had just won the Tour.
Andy was green in 2008, in 2009 he was ready. Not as good as this year, but pretty good regardless.
2008 Riccò was a beast.
Levi is one of the dullest riders out there but fact is he was very strong and consistent those years.
And you're not even mentioning Evans.

Contador himself wasn't in his prime in 2007, by the way.

There's no point complaining about riders not being the best when the old guard was still around before 2006, because there's a very good reason why the old guard was swept aside. ALL older GT contenders from 2006 to now we're fighting to get 5-10 in the TdF GC before Puerto, but maybe that wasn't their fault. It's simply the way things were.

edit: Meh, why do I bother.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah, that's it, the competition truelly sucks.
Armstrong was way better.

Here, now you got what you wanted to hear. Can you please now dissapear to the land of pink elephants from where you came? :rolleyes:

ffs

yes it was better, but thats not the point...

Is he good enough to reach the heights of Merckxs, Anquetil, Hinault, Indurain, Armstrong or will he crack aggainst the first opponent with a pulse he faces?

Belokki said:

He had it easy so far, strongest team with weak opponents, the real test of his strenght and carachter beggins now... We will se if he has what it takes to be an ATG!

I'm going to bet that no matter how many more grand tours he wins or any other races, you are still going to say that it wasn't enough or it didn't mean anything because 'x' or 'y' or 'z'.

Btw, when was the last time a rider entered and won 5 grand tours?

Dutchsmurf said:
He won 5 GTs in a row, if that doesn't make you a consistent champion I don't know what does.
Skin grafting Armstrong's face over his own?:rolleyes:

So, Belokki rolls out the great opposition that Armstrong faced, missing out his only challenger, from 2002 (all the rest were AWOL)..............er...........that would be, Beloki without the spelling error.

We have Contador beating an ancient but then current TdF champ.
Armstrong beating a glorified domestique and some convicted dopers.

As fanboys come, they don't come much more desperate than Belokki.

Hell, like his master, he seems to have been absent for most of the race and is only now finding his trolling form.
FAIL.

Dude, he had serious opposition.

Just because all chargers got removed from cycling doesn't mean the new generation isn't "serious opposition"

You make banana comparisons with guys like Menchov and Sanchez in the Armstrong era. At the time Armstrong quite, Menchov was 27 and just starting the prime of his career, he wasn't at his physical peak.
Look at Jurgen Vandenbroeck who is 27 and is only now emerging.

You don't understand anything from the sport with the wild claims and comparisons you are making. :confused:

The numbers speak for itself. Contador wins his 5 GT. And yes, the time gaps aren't as big as in the past.
But Armstrongs time gaps weren't as big as the Merckx era. Etcetera...
That's EVOLUTION. More people got what it takes to grow to a high level as the sport gets more professional.
The same happens in any sport. Look at football where a team like New-Zealand can suddenly go undefeated against the world champion of 2006 (Italy). That would've been unthinkable 30 years ago...

You are misleading yourself to think the opposition has gotten weaker. It only gets stronger.
Possible half the peloton is stronger than Eddy Merckx in his prime period. That's evolution my friend.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm going to bet that no matter how many more grand tours he wins or any other races, you are still going to say that it wasn't enough or it didn't mean anything because 'x' or 'y' or 'z'.

Btw, when was the last time a rider entered and won 5 grand tours?

He who must not be named won the TOUR 7 times in a row...not so long ago, Conti won 3, one being practically a gift...
If he beats Scheck convincingly next year, I'll see him as ATG, until than no more than a very good rider

Belokki said:
He who must not be named won the TOUR 7 times in a row...not so long ago, Conti won 3, one being practically a gift...
If he beats Scheck convincingly next year, I'll see him as ATG, until than no more than a very good rider
Was Pereiro's win a gift too, or did that Tour rightfully belong to Landis?

Belokki said:

I knew about Armstrong. I should have been clearer, someone who raced OTHER GTs. It's of no consequence.

And again, I don't believe for one second you will give him his due respect, no matter. And that's your prerogative. It makes you seem petty, but that's just my opinion.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Belokki said:
only 5 guys have won all 3 GTs (Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil, Gimondi and AC - at the age of 25)... if this is not enough for you to consider him ATG then I am sorry, we can´t help you with your problem

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Skin grafting Armstrong's face over his own?:rolleyes:

So, Belokki rolls out the great opposition that Armstrong faced, missing out his only challenger, from 2002 (all the rest were AWOL)..............er...........that would be, Beloki without the spelling error.

We have Contador beating an ancient but then current TdF champ.
Armstrong beating a glorified domestique and some convicted dopers.

As fanboys come, they don't come much more desperate than Belokki.

Hell, like his master, he seems to have been absent for most of the race and is only now finding his trolling form.
FAIL.

hm...
Pantani
Beloki
Ullrich
Basso
Kloden
Vino
Rasmusen

vs

ricco
cadel
di luca
frank
andy
wiggins

Yeah, I can se where you're coming from! Contadors opposition was waaaaaayy better wasnt it?
but what can I expect from a hater...?

TRENDING THREADS