• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does your spouse let you go riding?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
For those of us at a certain age, with kids, a partner and a job, sometimes getting out for a ride can be pretty difficult.

I recently came across a cartoon that depicts a typical (or not so typical) husband and wife cycling discussion.

http://torosvecchi.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/honey-can-i-go-riding/

Wondering whether anyone has any tips or novel ideas that might help me convince my partner to "let me ride" when domestic life tells me otherwise?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Terror of Tashkent said:
For those of us at a certain age, with kids, a partner and a job, sometimes getting out for a ride can be pretty difficult.

I recently came across a cartoon that depicts a typical (or not so typical) husband and wife cycling discussion.

Wondering whether anyone has any tips or novel ideas that might help me convince my partner to "let me ride" when domestic life tells me otherwise?

Yes, I have a horrundously loud and vibrating set of rollers I will give you.
Choose a convenient time, PMS, before her waking, or as soon as she gets home from work. Lock the door on the story above her bed the kitchen or living room. Ride like hell. Within 3 sessions she will let you ride whenever you want!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
my wife rides. trainer or road. she also mtb raced before the kids arrived. she has a bronze medal from the state TT, when we lived down south and rode in the heat.

all good here :D

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Three main tactics, I do the majority of my riding as my work commute. This helps me get 1hour+ daily and does not affect my home time. Second I combine my rides with a family trip. For example, I will leave with an hour or two head start and meet the family at the lake or some other destination and then spend the rest of the time with them. Last I volunteer regularly to watch the kids so she can go ride. That way she has her chance too.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this topic on other forums..For many it is like (what would Lance do?)
I am the center of the universe and riding is MY time. Besides that I do not ride I TRAIN..That Cat5 or century ride coming up trumps any family obligation. I'd rather ride than do anything of that stuff so I will.
If you have to be "let" to go riding you have a problem. Needing permission or going in defiance of permission or obligation is childish and should just about ruin the activity anyway. Work it out..be an adult.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
My fiance encourages me to ride at least three times per week.

The best way to have your spouse support exercise is to return from every ride in an incredibly good mood and get right to work on some stuff aorund the house. Don't ride until yoy are dead to the world and half-bonked.

I'm very lucky that "Mrs Rat" completely understands my need to ride, and supports me fully. It helps that we both need "me" time, but even so she doesn't get annoyed at me doing between 10 and 15 hours/wk evenings and weekends. She even pretends to take an interest in my races, and what I'm doing when tinkering with the bike/building a new one* and joins me for a nap on Sunday afternoons after a long ride/race!

As Flicker mentions, I'm much happier when cycling regularly than when not so she also benefits. And she gets the "guilt dinner" at her favourite restaurant once a month!

*She also recently actively encouraged me to blow £fartoomuch on a custom titanium superbike for next season!

I really should get around to proposing to her.

Sometimes make a family trip out of it! :D
Find a good quiet place where you can ride with your family. While the children are still too young to ride on their own either have them in a child-seat on the bike or, if you prefer, a hanger. Maybe pack a rucksack and make a picnic out of it.
Of course you won't be able to ride as fast or for as long as if you ride alone but this way you'll teach both your spouse and, maybe even more important, your children to appreciate cycling, if your spouse appreciates what you do she'll probably be more likely to let you go for training. :cool:

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
My wife is not a morning person, so on the weekends if I ride from 7:00 to 9:30 or so then I'm getting back when she's starting her day, so there's no conflict. During the week I'll ride to work a few times and do a bit on the trainer here or there at night. I like the meeting the family at the lake idea, I think I'll steal that one this summer.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Sometimes make a family trip out of it! :D
Find a good quiet place where you can ride with your family. While the children are still too young to ride on their own either have them in a child-seat on the bike or, if you prefer, a hanger. Maybe pack a rucksack and make a picnic out of it.
Of course you won't be able to ride as fast or for as long as if you ride alone but this way you'll teach both your spouse and, maybe even more important, your children to appreciate cycling, if your spouse appreciates what you do she'll probably be more likely to let you go for training. :cool:

Or, more women should learn to appreciate cycling :p

My wife wants me to ride as much as possible. She´s not trying to get rid of me, I´m just so much happier and more pleasant to be around when riding throughout the week.

There is nothing to be done if you have young children, unless you can afford a nanny or babysitters. Until my son reached around 6 yrs old, I was rarely on my bike. Once they´re in school and have after school activities it gets better and you find windows of opportunity to hop on the bike.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
I've seen this topic on other forums..For many it is like (what would Lance do?)
I am the center of the universe and riding is MY time. Besides that I do not ride I TRAIN..That Cat5 or century ride coming up trumps any family obligation. I'd rather ride than do anything of that stuff so I will.
If you have to be "let" to go riding you have a problem. Needing permission or going in defiance of permission or obligation is childish and should just about ruin the activity anyway. Work it out..be an adult.

Hey tough guy, suggest you might need a little more TRAINing if your goals are centuries and Cat 5 races. Work it out... be a cyclist.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
I really should get around to proposing to her.

Dude, a word of advice...once you get married it will be the thin edge of the wedge.

Once you have kids you won't push the 'pedals in anger' for about 4 yrs. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Good luck. NW

Neworld said:

Dude, a word of advice...once you get married it will be the thin edge of the wedge.

Once you have kids you won't push the 'pedals in anger' for about 4 yrs. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Good luck. NW

Kids aren't on the agenda for us so it shouldn't be too bad, but she does have visions of us going away every other weekend instead! As long as I can take the bike... :D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm friends with a fellow cyclist and he's married with young kids (their 3rd kid was born right at the end of the 2008 Giro), and he had no problems going out for a ride/race. Hell he even went with me to the Tour a few years ago. They don't have a nanny, but have an agreement that he goes out at a certain time and be back early enough so he's there when the kids wake up, or every second day he looks after the kids and the wife goes to the gym.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Buy her a bike, rackem and you´re good to go.

You know I tried this very technique...even pulled it off as a total surprise...it was a sweet little Lemond bike as well :)

And then it all went wrong. She road it around the cul-de-sac once...and then it sat in the garage literally untouched for 2 months before I got it through my head that she wasn't interested. Said the "skinny tires" scared her. Thankfully the LBS was awesome and gave me a sweet trade in deal on an MTB for her (the "fat tires" made her feel safer). :D

Then she told me to just go ride...for over 10 years now she's been very supportive of my hobby/addiction/sport/addiction. As long as she gets time for her stuff it's all good :D

Now with another diaper-filler on the way my riding will most definitely decline a bit but it's relatively short term...

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
My wife wants me to ride as much as possible. She´s not trying to get rid of me, I´m just so much happier and more pleasant to be around when riding throughout the week.

There is nothing to be done if you have young children, unless you can afford a nanny or babysitters. Until my son reached around 6 yrs old, I was rarely on my bike. Once they´re in school and have after school activities it gets better and you find windows of opportunity to hop on the bike.

I started riding just after my daughter was born, I stared racing just before my 2nd daughter was born. I have 2 little ones at home and train ~15hrs a week during the season. I will ride to work(3hrs total) 2 or 3 days a week which helps me get proper training time in. I do a lot when I am home, very active in helping raise the little ones and do a lot around the house. This is key.

Like others mentioned, I usually come home from riding in a great mood which also helps. When I miss a day or two of training I get miserable and my wife will say "go ride your bike so you get in a better mood." She is a saint for putting up with me and I appreciate her.

Piece of advice guys: drill your children! :D
First there are those smart kick-bikes which trains the balance. Then there's the good ol' support-wheels. At one point those can be removed. (maybe you'll have to run behind holding a stick stuck onto the bike for a while)
Oh, but do remember to have their eyesight checked, can do seriously damage in getting a child to ride a bike if the child can't see anything...

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Ride smarter...

As a 38 y.o with two kids and a pretty tolerant wife I'd say I ride half the time I used to as 28y.o. but am alot fitter. You just need to get smart with training. Working shifts makes riding in the day when kids are at school/care alot easier. And when I do train I make the most of it no JRA. I also make sure my wife gets the time for herself to either go to gym, run, or to have "her time", makes those four hour rides alot easier to justify.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Piece of advice guys: drill your children! :D
First there are those smart kick-bikes which trains the balance. Then there's the good ol' support-wheels. At one point those can be removed. (maybe you'll have to run behind holding a stick stuck onto the bike for a while)
Oh, but do remember to have their eyesight checked, can do seriously damage in getting a child to ride a bike if the child can't see anything...

absolutely, my 5 1/2 year old son has been off training wheels since he was three and now rides mtb single track and my 3 1/2 year old daughter just got her trainers off. The family's now mobile!!

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Terror of Tashkent said:

Sorry, no suggestions, but that animation is bloody hilarious. LOL funny. :)

TRENDING THREADS