• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domenico Pozzovivo appreciation thread

it had to be done.
can finally our piccolo dottore deliver to the fullest in a grand tour?
he seems stronger than ever,today no one could go with him let's face it.
14.04.2010-Domenico-Pozzovivo-si-%C3%A8-laureato-in-Economia-Aziendale-a-Roma.jpg

pic278185605_600.jpg

Love Domenico. Probably the purest climber in the péloton.

bettiniphoto_0027807_1_full_600.jpg

He was the best on Fedaia in '08, and Pampeago in Trentino 2010 was amazing. Dropping Pardilla, Sella, Vino, Basso, Niemiec and finally Riccò without ever really attacking, just killing them with his pace. And the Giro dell'Apennino, when he blew everybody up on the Passo della Bocchetta, only to lose the two-up sprint to a guy who'd been in the break.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Random guy who just won a race appreciation thread. Just kidding, calm down. :D

I don't know much about this rider, does he have a university degree as the OP suggests? If so kudos for that.

As for Libertine's angelical comments there can only be one true Angel of the Mountains and that will always be Charly Gaul :D

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
it had to be done.
can finally our piccolo dottore deliver to the fullest in a grand tour?
he seems stronger than ever,today no one could go with him let's face it.

Great rider!
But lets face it no one really tried going with him.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Been a big fan since the Seven Dwarves days of CSF 2008. Fedaia 08 sticks my mind too as well being brilliant in Trentino for several years. I thought he has absolutely nailed on to lose time (and probably get sick) in this first week. Really hope he survives this week and doesn't get caught in splits or crashes before Cervinia. For him to be right up there on GC now we're getting towards his terrain is very exciting.

Christian said:

I don't know much about this rider, does he have a university degree as the OP suggests? If so kudos for that.

As for Libertine's angelical comments there can only be one true Angel of the Mountains and that will always be Charly Gaul :D
Gaul was superb, but I have always had more of an affinity for Fuente, van Impe, Bahamontes, Herrera through the eras, especially Tarangu.

However, it is correct that the term "Angel of the Mountains" should forever be reserved for Charly. Good job I've only been saying Pozzovivo climbs like an angel, not that he is one ;)

Libertine Seguros said:

He was the best on Fedaia in '08, and Pampeago in Trentino 2010 was amazing. Dropping Pardilla, Sella, Vino, Basso, Niemiec and finally Riccò without ever really attacking, just killing them with his pace. And the Giro dell'Apennino, when he blew everybody up on the Passo della Bocchetta, only to lose the two-up sprint to a guy who'd been in the break.

GREAT WIN!!!
and great photo!!
:D

Christian said:

He isn't random in Italy, whether or not he has it in him to endeur the third week is, however, questionable. Grand tour winners also have to have stamina. This is where he still hasn't demonstrated his overall worth.

Yes his degree in economics is factual. He also plays piano and is a bit of a dilettante in meteorology. Goes well with his profession. Overall, a well rounded guy. Great move today for sure.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Ya I've been waiting for him to deliver at the giro for a long time now. Every year I hope and get disappointed, hoping he can sustain this effort.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Great attack, especially since there was a ~4k flat after the top of the climb. I wasn't sure if he could hold off chasers, but he did so remarkably.

I think, if I heard it well, the italian commentators on the official stream called his climbing style, despite being a horrible sight, nevertheless very efficient. I think they mentioned it when he sprinted away from the main group a couple of meters in the attack, standing on his pedals, very forward leaning, hunched over his bars, on a bike that still seemed a little too big for him.

I am curious to see how he fares in week 3.

Bala Verde said:
Great attack, especially since there was a ~4k flat after the top of the climb. I wasn't sure if he could hold off chasers, but he did so remarkably.

I think, if I heard it well, the italian commentators on the official stream called his climbing style, despite being a horrible sight, nevertheless very efficient. I think they mentioned it when he sprinted away from the main group a couple of meters in the attack, standing on his pedals, very forward leaning, hunched over his bars, on a bike that still seemed a little too big for him.

I am curious to see how he fares in week 3.

I've never witnessed such a blistering attack, seem so lathargic. :D

Evidently style doesn't count for all appearances.

The last time he made it to week 3 intact he was great in it, but then again, he had the benefit of a free ride most of the way with Sella up the road. If he's still in form, look out for him on Pampeago. He was one of the best there in 2008, but he attacked too early and was picked up a bit later by several of the GC contenders; in 2009 he was one of the best in Trentino (Niemiec eventually won the stage, dropping Basso at the last), but of course in 2010 he destroyed the field there. He likes the place and it suits him.

I actually quite like his climbing style - as long as it's on the steep stuff.

Libertine Seguros said:
The last time he made it to week 3 intact he was great in it, but then again, he had the benefit of a free ride most of the way with Sella up the road. If he's still in form, look out for him on Pampeago. He was one of the best there in 2008, but he attacked too early and was picked up a bit later by several of the GC contenders; in 2009 he was one of the best in Trentino (Niemiec eventually won the stage, dropping Basso at the last), but of course in 2010 he destroyed the field there. He likes the place and it suits him.

I'm of Savoldelli's opinion: he doesn't have the engine to last.

I hope I'm prooven wrong, but Trentino is a 5 day race and he's never been a leader in a grand tour. He could possibly pull a Rujano though and podium.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
I've never witnessed such a blistering attack, seem so lathargic. :D

Evidently style doesn't count for all appearances.

Libertine Seguros said:

Here he is today, attack @ ~2:20

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnkYneQCTkY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I think I'd characterize his style as a little 'weird' when he is out of the saddle. It just looks like there is something off, but I can't really pinpoint it.

Nonetheless, he can fly up a mountain and has courage; he dares take a risk and attacks. Very exciting.

Bala Verde said:
I think I'd characterize his style as a little 'weird' when he is out of the saddle. It just looks like there is something off, but I can't really pinpoint it.

Quoting yourself from an earlier post:
"standing on his pedals, very forward leaning, hunched over his bars, on a bike that still seemed a little too big for him."

This is it. He leans forward a lot compared to other riders.
Johan van der Velde said today that Pozzovivo's climbing style reminded him of "Belda" if I recall correctly. Anyone knows which Belda and if so are their images of the guy?

I was most impressed with the way he was grinding that massive gear on the flats to hold off the chase, since there is not question about his impressible skills in the uphill gradients. Very classy rider & a well deserved stage win.
3rd week will be a wet dream for him if he gets there in good form :D

Bala Verde said:

for such lightweight body (53 Kilos) his climbing style makes sense, since he's literally resting all his entire weight down & forward onto the pedals to gain more leverage & power while climbing. I do happen to do that during very sharp hairpins & that technique helps a lot to overcome then :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Quoting yourself from an earlier post:
"standing on his pedals, very forward leaning, hunched over his bars, on a bike that still seemed a little too big for him."

This is it. He leans forward a lot compared to other riders.
Johan van der Velde said today that Pozzovivo's climbing style reminded him of "Belda" if I recall correctly. Anyone knows which Belda and if so are their images of the guy?

Perhaps that's it. When you look at Belda (here on Youtube, if that's the correct Belda) it seems it has a lot to do with them being so short.

When Pozzo climbs standing, it sometimes looks as if his feet are pulling his bike forward, because they are incidentally fixed to his pedals; meaning, they obviously do, but it's as if he falls forward, while with every pedal stroke he is reminded of the fact that some annoying thing under and behind him is holding him back, and he chooses to drag it a long.

Anyway... so much for over-analyzing. :eek:

Bala Verde said:
Perhaps that's it. When you look at Belda (here on Youtube, if that's the correct Belda) it seems it has a lot to do with them being so short.

When Pozzo climbs standing, it sometimes looks as if his feet are pulling his bike forward, because they are incidentally fixed to his pedals; meaning, they obviously do, but it's as if he falls forward, while with every pedal stroke he is reminded of the fact that some annoying thing under and behind him is holding him back, and he chooses to drag it a long.

Anyway... so much for over-analyzing. :eek:

Simple, his legs are too short and a bit crooked. :)

TRENDING THREADS