• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dope Dialysis?

Noting the thread that says there is now a test to detect autologous blood transfusions, I was wondering whether or not dope dialysis would be possible. In other words: Remove the blood from the body, scrub the doping and the doping metabolites from the body, then return the now clean blood to the body.

There would be issues, of course, such as removing dope evidence from the fatty tissue, but I was wondering whether or not dope dialysis would be possible and/or useful to the doping cyclist.

Beyond the expense and effort needed to do this, I don't think it would help. The changes that occur in stored blood that make it possible to detect autologous transfusions, at least in the procedures that have received the most attention, wouldn't be affected by this. It isn't a matter of metabolites or other substances in the serum, it's effects on red cell membranes or other components of red cells, which can't be reversed by any procedure carried out on withdrawn blood.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Beyond the expense and effort needed to do this, I don't think it would help. The changes that occur in stored blood that make it possible to detect autologous transfusions, at least in the procedures that have received the most attention, wouldn't be affected by this. It isn't a matter of metabolites or other substances in the serum, it's effects on red cell membranes or other components of red cells, which can't be reversed by any procedure carried out on withdrawn blood.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Noting the thread that says there is now a test to detect autologous blood transfusions, I was wondering whether or not dope dialysis would be possible. In other words: Remove the blood from the body, scrub the doping and the doping metabolites from the body, then return the now clean blood to the body.

There would be issues, of course, such as removing dope evidence from the fatty tissue, but I was wondering whether or not dope dialysis would be possible and/or useful to the doping cyclist.

That sounds like something derived from a science fiction magazine. ;)