• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping, all sports, hall of fame.

Name 3 of your most dopey of dope fiends.
Anybody who was alive at the time cant leave Ben Johnson out. Even though everyone knew that the yellow eyed *** was off his nut it was still so shocking with the whole circumstance. Lance has to be in the conversation as well. Even though I wanted to veer away from cycling he is just so meta he has to be in there. Part of me wants to put 94 Maradona in the conversation as well just for his crazy eyes. But if ever there was a sportsman who showed he would be immense sans rocketfuel it was him. So my 3rd choice is Barry Bonds both because of his ridic performance and the size of his massive head.

The ones that got away with it (so far).

Usain Bolt. No words. Probably the most freakishly talented sprinter I will ever see in my lifetime, but my god that guy must have been on some epic dope as well. The difference in class between him and other doped up supersprinters is astounding. Sheer talent alone doesn't make anyone that frickin' good.

Miguel Indurain. Twice as fast and twice as heavy as current dopers. If anyone needed the perfect example of why unrestricted EPO use was a gamechanger, look no further than this fat-bottomed Spaniard. Dominated the GT scene in the early 90s and is still a VIP at Le Tour to this day, as if nothing out of the ordinary ever happened.

Carl Lewis. Way better track guy than Ben Johnson ever was, because of rampant steroid use. Only he didn't look like a charging bull on the track and was from a country that willingly covered up their athletes' positives. Seen as a legend of his sport now, but watch any interview with him and it's obvious that he's an Armstrong level d*ck that would gladly cheat, lie and scam his way to the top and throw his competitors under the bus if necessary.

Honorable mention to every country that magically became the best sporting nation in the world the same year they hosted the Olympics. And those Eastern European and German women (?) during the height of the steroid era. That stuff was hilarious.

Ilona Slupianek. The representative for the 70s/80s women's events. Looking at the available videos, her glide technique seems fairly rudimentary compared to Lisovskaya, was still enough for numerous 22m+ marks. I saw a probably-exaggerated anecdote somewhere about her picking up the men's shot in training and casually putting it somewhere between 19-20 meters. Actually tested positive for steroids in 1977.

Daniel Komen. Nobody has come anywhere near his 3000m or 2 mile marks. Sure, Gebrselassie and Bekele managed to shave a few seconds off his 12:39 in the coming years. But consider his competitions in August 1997 and tell me he was not capable of a 12:30:
13.8. 5000m 12:44, outkicked by Geb after pacing him to a WR
16.8. 1500m 3:29.46
22.8. 5000m 12:39 WR
26.8. 1 mile 3:46.38

Vladimir Smirnov. With apologies to Myllylä and Muhlegg, 1994 and 1995 might have been the wildest years in cross-country skiing. Looking back, Smirnov's and Di Centa's reportedly extreme blood values were what led to the introduction of hemoglobin health limits a few years later - even the Norwegians may not have been willing to risk the health of their athletes to that extent.

jamila-k.jpg

Kratochvilova, well yes Jarmila that is.

FloJo from US was pretty ridiculous as well.

From technique sports

1 Adrian Peterson - for his 2012 season. He shouldn't even have played, his ACL injury from 2011 was so serious most people don't come back so soon and many don't come back at all. Not only did he come back, he singlehandedly carried his average team to the playoffs based purely on his own power. The only running back to win the mvp in the recent qb only era, perhaps the best running back season of all time. It was so dodgy even the omerta to the core nfl press started asking if he used steroids for it. His response was that he takes steroid accusations as a compliment.

2 Nadal. Toss up between rafa and his 2012 ao opponent djokovic who's transformation from physical weakest player on tour to strongest and occasional relapses to mediocrity, tell their own tale. Rafa has had those too but I choose him because of 1 his 2009 ao when he couldnt walk after a record five setter against verdasco, only to defeat federer in another five setter the next day, and 2 his man amongst boys profile when he was just 19. Federer himself with his longevity record isn't far behind.

3 Lebron. Another 19 year old man amongst boys though these days he's moving closer to federer approaching his late 30's and still dominating. In the 15 years inbetween he has dominated the nba, the best player for 2/3 of that time. A physiological freak hes the strongest, pound for pound perhaps the fastest, plays the most minutes year after year and he never gets injured. Keeping that up for 15 years and counting.

I'd like to add nearly all the big players from Real Madrid, Barcelone, Manchester United, City, Bayern etc for being physical freaks of nature.

They can all keep running and sprinting for 90 minutes and more and look jacked as *** compared to before joining any of the big teams. No way these guys are clean

Re:

alternator said:
Ilona Slupianek. The representative for the 70s/80s women's events. Looking at the available videos, her glide technique seems fairly rudimentary compared to Lisovskaya, was still enough for numerous 22m+ marks. I saw a probably-exaggerated anecdote somewhere about her picking up the men's shot in training and casually putting it somewhere between 19-20 meters. Actually tested positive for steroids in 1977.

Why didn't you mention this dude?

_140659_shotputt_barnes.jpg

Re:

rick james said:
Any of the freaks that play Rugby league
The laughable part about it here in Australia a rugby league team the Cronulla Sharks (won the comp a few years later too lol) were caught using a peptide through injections as well as an AFL side with the same doctor. The AFL guys got a 1 year ban and the rugby league players 3-4 matches.

My friend is best mates with Nathan Gardner who was apart of that rugby league team said they were basically forced to take it or be dropped.

Re: Re:

Black Betsy said:
alternator said:

Why didn't you mention this dude?

_140659_shotputt_barnes.jpg
Because unlimited steroids affected women's strength events more dramatically. Anyway, I would have picked Brian Oldfield ahead of Randy Barnes to the doping hall of fame.

Singer01 said:
...Anybody who was alive at the time cant leave Ben Johnson out....
Au contraire, mon frère. Johnson was a flash in the pan who ended up living in his mum's cellar. Vasili Alexeev, Pharmstrong & Barry Bonds all had decade-long(+) careers based on PEDs and garnered huge personal profits from their cheating. Alexeev lived and died a hero of the Soviet Union. Bonds and Pharmstrong earned the majority of their fame and financial success by cheating but both continue to be filthy rich, despite obviously having cheated.

Johnson, by comparison, is a penniless piker.

Aside from all the ones that have already been mentioned I'd like to add Regina Jacobs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_Jacobs...

I was so excited to see an older runner do so well (at the time she was 36, I think ), and then, like many other track athletes, it was found out she was on the "clear". I was so disappointed, watching pro sports has never been the same for me since.

Re: Kratochvilova - even my dad, who was a junior national team kayaker in the former CSSR will say the kaykers didn't call her Kratochvilova back then, they just called her Kratochvil. (The former being the female form of the last name, the latter being the male.)

Too many to list but I'll try anyway:

Track - Bolt
Cycling - Armstrong
Baseball - Bonds
Tennis - Nadal, Serena
Golf - Tiger
Basketball - Lebron
Football - Messi

But asking whether athletes dope is like asking whether politicians lie. You know the answer to that one.

All of mine have been mentioned already but I still have to say special mention for the queen of doping, Flo Jo. Still holds the women's 100m record, set at the US Olympic Trials (lol) in 1988. In the 30 years since then, nobody else has run within 0.15 of her time.

Kratochvilova is honestly hilarious. She improved her 400 meter time by over 5 seconds after the age of 27 and her 800 meter record still stands today, 35 years after it was set. Only two athletes have gotten within a second of it since, and one of those is Caster Semenya who is practically a dude. Not that Kratochvilova wasn't a dude too. She was comfortably more masculine in her roided up prime than I can ever hope to be, no matter how hard I work out.

Re:

OldCranky said:
All of mine have been mentioned already but I still have to say special mention for the queen of doping, Flo Jo. Still holds the women's 100m record, set at the US Olympic Trials (lol) in 1988. In the 30 years since then, nobody else has run within 0.15 of her time.

She paid the ultimate price for her deeds...

TRENDING THREADS