• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I know it is relatively early in the season but doping based it has been very quiet. Yes, their has been the Mantova affair but none of those have returned a positive test or have no blood bag links.

Why is this so?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I know it is relatively early in the season but doping based it has been very quiet. Yes, their has been the Mantova affair but none of those have returned a positive test or have no blood bag links.

Why is this so?

Because Lance is back, and the sport needs to look clean to protect his legacy and keep people interested via him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, it's got to be one of three things: either the peloton is getting cleaner, the dirty riders are getting better at dodging the tests, or the testing and investigation has become less vigorous.

Things like record setting average speeds for Paris-Nice (nearly 4kph faster than last year) make me suspect that the first reason is not the explanation.

Jamsque said:
Well, it's got to be one of three things: either the peloton is getting cleaner, the dirty riders are getting better at dodging the tests, or the testing and investigation has become less vigorous.

Things like record setting average speeds for Paris-Nice (nearly 4kph faster than last year) make me suspect that the first reason is not the explanation.

IIRC winds were often from a northerly quarter which in a north-south race has to help higher speeds. Also, one stage being shortened by snow has to help too. Not saying that what you are claiming is necessarily wrong but its an awkward comparison:)

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Because Lance is back, and the sport needs to look clean to protect his legacy and keep people interested via him.

And this is of course connected to the root of all evil. $$$$$$$

I couldn't agree with you more.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

It's probably a little of all three. Sooner or later there will be vigorous testing and a careless little pro. I do think everyone will be gunning for Astana at Italian or French venues considering they have suspicious Spaniard and Kazakh targets.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Remember that the WADA had a test for CERA early in 2008, but did not unveil that information until the TdF.

It is possible that there are mew tests that have been developed but that the testers are waiting until all of the biggest names are in one place before they begin to utilize the new procedures.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Remember that the WADA had a test for CERA early in 2008, but did not unveil that information until the TdF.

It is possible that there are mew tests that have been developed but that the testers are waiting until all of the biggest names are in one place before they begin to utilize the new procedures.
you are right except the credit should go to afld or specifically to their lab - lndd.
re. those new test, yeah, they play the game of cat and mouse alright but the uci is in the way. the way the business works is trhis, the uci doping control agent if instructed by the higher-ups will only mark a(the) specific test(s) on the doping control form for the lab to test for. the lab will just blindly execute the instructions, even if it's lndd

if there is a political agenda of not finding any positives, lance and the likes could dope all they want despite the test for abt (an example) being available.

python said:
you are right except the credit should go to afld or specifically to their lab - lndd.
re. those new test, yeah, they play the game of cat and mouse alright but the uci is in the way. the way the business works is trhis, the uci doping control agent if instructed by the higher-ups will only mark a(the) specific test(s) on the doping control form for the lab to test for. the lab will just blindly execute the instructions, even if it's lndd

if there is a political agenda of not finding any positives, lance and the likes could dope all they want despite the test for abt (an example) being available.

So you're basically saying that even though Lance claims to be "the most tested athlete in the world" it doesn't necessarily mean anybody looks at it?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
So you're basically saying that even though Lance claims to be "the most tested athlete in the world" it doesn't necessarily mean anybody looks at it?

It does imply that the vested financial well-being of all involved with the UCI rests on no more top guys getting busted winning a GT. There were warning busts prior to the Giro and Tour last year and still some embarrassing positives for the TdF organization. Lance has elevated the marketability so he has some value to them financially at this point.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
take my word (or ignore it- no skin off my back anyway) more anti-doping tests have gone 'the sink way' (translated: got dumped in the toilet) than had been analyzed by the expensive GC/MS instruments. this is a world-wide observation since the late nineties. the 2000's are showing a trend towards slight improvement. but it is irrelevant. if the uci is in control, they can call the shots the way they feel is politically appropriate. a hint: the vrijman report would never see the light, if the uci acted as the body they should be - devoid of politics, fair and unbiased.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Why is this so?

Actually when you asked this question my first thought was "be patient" - as there will be a backlog to samples collected and being analyzed.

However, Li's sample was from March 23rd, so it is currently 'a month behind' - expect that to increase as the season wears on though.

TRENDING THREADS