• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Missed this absolute gem on Monday. You just have to admire Seb's IAAF. Whistling in the dark.

The official IAAF response to Part 1 of the WADA report on them.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IAAF-comments-IC-report-Exec-Sum-and-Full-Response.pdf

Final Paragraph Page 30 para 3.6
“As demonstrated above, there is no systemic corruption within the IAAF, but rather a dedicated staff with high ethical standards whose work has contributed greatly to the fight against doping in sport not only in athletics specifically, but also (through the support and assistance that the IAAF Medical & Anti-Doping Department has provided to WADA over the years) in the whole of sport generally. Stakeholders in athletics can therefore have confidence that the IAAF will continue to do, as it has done for the last 50 years, whatever is necessary to protect the integrity of the sport from the scourge of doping.”

So far beyond the normal "Nothing to see here, please move along now, you can buy your tickets over there, merchandise stalls are to your left once you go through the turnstiles". These grade A, gold plated, diamond encrusted chumps are claiming they are saving the world of sport from doping. Who wrote it ? Seb's mum !

Let's see what tomorrow's light, shining on the "dedicated staff with high ethical standards" reveals about them.

WADA just bombed this straight out of the water.

Re: Re:

blackcat said:
BullsFan22 said:
I almost don't even care if someone like Bolt is eventually brought down, like Armstrong was, but it would really make my week if the hypocrisy and lies within the UK Athletics, UKADA, Coe and the greater IAAF is finally put out in the open for everyone to see. Then we need to move onto US athletics as well. The Russians, Kenyans, Jamaicans, Italians, Spaniards, Turks, even the French...are easy targets. What about those always get away with it?

but what is the true motive to make the lies exposed by British Cycling and the athletics and Brailsford and Sky and Coe and IAAF?

just asking, I have asked myself why I am on this pursuit for the truth about doping in sport... I lean to the default position, p'raps it is me at fault

'the truth'? Hmmmmm. Ah ... me nah got dat.

Too much time standin in the western canon, mate.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Jagartrott said:
Freddythefrog said:
Missed this absolute gem on Monday. You just have to admire Seb's IAAF. Whistling in the dark.

The official IAAF response to Part 1 of the WADA report on them.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IAAF-comments-IC-report-Exec-Sum-and-Full-Response.pdf

Final Paragraph Page 30 para 3.6
“As demonstrated above, there is no systemic corruption within the IAAF, but rather a dedicated staff with high ethical standards whose work has contributed greatly to the fight against doping in sport not only in athletics specifically, but also (through the support and assistance that the IAAF Medical & Anti-Doping Department has provided to WADA over the years) in the whole of sport generally. Stakeholders in athletics can therefore have confidence that the IAAF will continue to do, as it has done for the last 50 years, whatever is necessary to protect the integrity of the sport from the scourge of doping.”

So far beyond the normal "Nothing to see here, please move along now, you can buy your tickets over there, merchandise stalls are to your left once you go through the turnstiles". These grade A, gold plated, diamond encrusted chumps are claiming they are saving the world of sport from doping. Who wrote it ? Seb's mum !

Let's see what tomorrow's light, shining on the "dedicated staff with high ethical standards" reveals about them.

WADA just bombed this straight out of the water.
Never thought D!ck pound would be part of the "club". He is protecting IAAF and condemning them at the same time. Depends on who he likes and dislikes.

This is not just a Russian thing. All countries. What an idiot.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
**** Pound backs Coe. Wonder how big that brown bag was.............
This was a question from letsrun basically pound acts like this never happened.

"TJonathan Gault wants to ask:
Mr. Pound, in an August 2015 interview with Victor Conte in the Japan Times, he claims that he gave you advice on how to catch athletes cheating by doing carbon isotope ratio tests from their old frozen samples. He wanted you to go back and test the big names like Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Carmelita Jeter, etc" from earlier in the 2000s. He says you brought this suggestion to WADA and they rejected your proposal saying, "Are you kidding me? You think we want to destroy the entire Olympic movement?"

So, did this actually happen and if so, how can we have faith that those at top want to bring down cheats even at the expense of the "Olympic movement."

This was just totally glossed over by D!ck Pound. He and Coe are part of the "players club". Or "payers club".

Glenn_Wilson said:
Benotti69 said:
**** Pound backs Coe. Wonder how big that brown bag was.............
This was a question from letsrun basically pound acts like this never happened.

"TJonathan Gault wants to ask:
Mr. Pound, in an August 2015 interview with Victor Conte in the Japan Times, he claims that he gave you advice on how to catch athletes cheating by doing carbon isotope ratio tests from their old frozen samples. He wanted you to go back and test the big names like Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Carmelita Jeter, etc" from earlier in the 2000s. He says you brought this suggestion to WADA and they rejected your proposal saying, "Are you kidding me? You think we want to destroy the entire Olympic movement?"

So, did this actually happen and if so, how can we have faith that those at top want to bring down cheats even at the expense of the "Olympic movement."

This was just totally glossed over by **** Pound. He and Coe are part of the "players club". Or "payers club".

I was suspicious of why the report had to come out in two parts and why the delay on the organisational part. Giving time and space for the penny to drop with those who refused to think they could not carry on covering up (aka Davies), and to motivate others to negotiate properly? Obviously Coe and Pound have come to an agreement. All that PR fluff stuff backing him, what the heck was that about ? I just wonder quite how many drafts of those conclusions there have been. This was a great opportunity to to have a real good clear out and make some big changes. A decade on and the same problems will still be in place - because the officials who think "the image of the sport must come first" will still be in post, even if the names have changed.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
*** Pound is a ***.

Who watches the watchmen........

IAAF president Seb Coe accepts athletics' world governing body covered up doping but says he had no knowledge of it.

Sounds like Coe and others (sponsors Nike etc) 'chipped' in and made Pound an offer he couldn't refuse.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Sounds like Coe and others (sponsors Nike etc) 'chipped' in and made Pound an offer he couldn't refuse.
I don't doubt this for a second.
There is so much at stake here.
I hope the press go down on Coe hard.
Seppelt I hope still has some things up his sleeve.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

arcus said:
I had a queasy feeling last night when I heard that Coe was going to be physically present. Made me suspect that he knew Pound was going to go soft on him.

Coe being there had a 'cinematic' feel. Reminds me off Godfather II where Michael Corleone brings the brother from Sicily to sit in the court room to stop Pentangeli from spilling.........

Pound told us to expect "bombshells"..... I didn't realize that one of them was the revelation that "Seb is great" :rolleyes:

Like many, I'm disappointed with the tone of that pressor. I've always viewed Pound as one of the "good guys" when it comes to anti-doping. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he knew Coe was going nowhere, and felt trashing him was going to do more harm than good to the sport. I'm still struggling with how positive he was, though. I think he could at least have been neutral on the issue.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

arcus said:
Pound told us to expect "bombshells"..... I didn't realize that one of them was the revelation that "Seb is great" :rolleyes:

Like many, I'm disappointed with the tone of that pressor. I've always viewed Pound as one of the "good guys" when it comes to anti-doping. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he knew Coe was going nowhere, and felt trashing him was going to do more harm than good to the sport. I'm still struggling with how positive he was, though. I think he could at least have been neutral on the issue.
there have been other moments in the recent past where I found *** P. to be too diplomatic in relation to (anti)doping. Don't remember exactly in which context.
Don't wanna claim I saw this blossoming friendship between *** P. and Seb coming, but still I guess I would have been even more surprised if *** P. had really gone down hard on Coe.

If you regard Pound as a chicken, the present incumbent, Reedie, is virtually an enabler. Moreover, WADA itself had long been compromised by the malign influence of mafiosi like Verbruggen and Blatter. While they sat on WADA committees and moved in political circles, did they have placemen too, who pulled more technical strings behind the scenes as we see in the IAAF?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone can express their opinion.

What I do have a problem with is people who have latched themselves on to a sport they have no/little interest in.

Will they watch the Diamond League meetings or the recent European cross country Championships like I did where I saw the Irish womens team getting bronze.

This new found love among particularly cycling fans shows them up for nothing more than a bunch of scandal lovers.

I couldn't care less about what doping other sports get up to in sports I have no interest in.

Re:

gooner said:
Anyone can express their opinion.

What I do have a problem with is people who have latched themselves on to a sport they have no/little interest in.

Will they watch the Diamond League meetings or the recent European cross country Championships like I did where I saw the Irish womens team getting bronze.

This new found love among particularly cycling fans shows them up for nothing more than a bunch of scandal lovers.

I couldn't care less about what doping other sports get up to in sports I have no interest in.

Good to Radcliffe back to being vehemently anti-doping :rolleyes:

j5f0r8.jpg

I'm not sure I really expected Pound to decapitate the IAAF ... I would have preferred he did, but then that's my antipathy towards and mistrust of Coe. On reflection, maybe Pound has been canny for the long term. Rather than leave a power vacuum at the top of the IAAF, he has effectively said to Coe...right, it's your ball now, you are clear about what we know and what we all think... you have a chance to re-build your personal (cesspit) reputation by putting the IAAF house in order. Don't feck it up.
In a way that is better.

If Coe had been more or less forced to resign by Pound .... and Pound clearly held that card, Coe could have skulked off into the shadows and abdicated all responsibility ... muttering "I've been made a scapegoat" etc. Now, he has to go and swim in the tide of sewerage and take responsibility and ownership of the whole mess. Yep, I definitely like that better. Especially as he really will have to affect change .... he has no choice.

You can bet that there'll be a lot of people queuing up to endorse him, hoping that he doesn't throw them under the bus.

I'm now just counting down to the moment when he thinks that putting PR in charge of anti-doping at the IAAF is cracking idea :)

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
People have taken a keen interest in this because the behaviour exhibited in the IAFF is echoed in so many 'professional' sporting organisation.

Watched BBC breakfast today, and the story is being gradually weighted around Pound's endorsement of Coe. My guess is Coe will throw some people under the bus and be hailed (by the BBC at least) as the saviour of athletics. More Baronships inbound.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
I'm not sure I really expected Pound to decapitate the IAAF ... I would have preferred he did, but then that's my antipathy towards and mistrust of Coe. On reflection, maybe Pound has been canny for the long term. Rather than leave a power vacuum at the top of the IAAF, he has effectively said to Coe...right, it's your ball now, you are clear about what we know and what we all think... you have a chance to re-build your personal (cesspit) reputation by putting the IAAF house in order. Don't feck it up.
In a way that is better.

In a way, yes. Better the devil you know, as well, I suppose...and I'd like to give Pound the benefit of the doubt and believe that he is acting in the best interests of sport.

But my issue is that, IF that is the case, Pound has done it in such a way that has undermined trust in the leadership of WADA. Pound and WADA are the wactchmen; the wardens. If trust in him and his organisation is lost, then the entire anti-doping effort is significantly impaired.