• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in boxing

A

Anonymous

Yep, very good. It's about time the doping light was shone on other sports as well. But with boxing, I can't see much happening. The way it is run, and who it is run by, are not conducive to anti-doping. The sport's honcho's know what sells - two men beating seven shades of shyte out of each other, and the stronger, the better.

This could explain the massive jump between amateur and pro boxing though, and maybe why Fraudley couldn't get anywhere in the pro ranks. Which would be ironic, if he was clean but became a public whipping-boy because of it.

I see also Adrian Mutu's (Romanian soccerball player, playing in Italy, for you Americans ;) ) been up to his old tricks, taking a banned diet suppressant. And yet we're expected to believe it's just him, on his own, without knowledge or assistance from his team doctors :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

I find it funny that Victor Conte of BALCO fame is the one being interviewed about PED's. (See Barry Bonds) But I guess he's certainly an expert. How he's still able to train people is beyond me. In cycling he'd have been banned from practicing.

As for boxing... there certainly is a need for a united testing regime. If you're going to test one boxer one way they should all be tested the same way, not just for two boxers in one particular fight. But the boxing councels need to work together and have a uniform testing program, not by state boxing commission.

Regardless, there have been boxers busted for doping like Moseley, Toney, Jones, Vargas, etc. But as we've learned in cycling there are ways around lots of tests.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Boxing has such a checkered past that it's comical reading.

Doping in horse racing, greyhound racing, American football, baseball, cycling, track and field, power lifting, and just about any other sport known to man or animal has been well chronicled.

Doping is part of sport and likely will be forever. Cest la Vis

David Suro said:
Boxing has such a checkered past that it's comical reading.

Doping in horse racing, greyhound racing, American football, baseball, cycling, track and field, power lifting, and just about any other sport known to man or animal has been well chronicled.

Doping is part of sport and likely will be forever. Cest la Vis

remeber Ben Johnson in 1988? he looked just maxed out before the race.
still i enjoyed watching him run 9.79 to win gold(temporarily) .

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
WorldsGreatest said:
anyone see steroid cheat vitali klitschko last night. 40 years old and in better shape than ever.

I'm not saying that he's not doping (he probably is) but its very common for heavyweight boxers to be on top of their game well into their forties. (Because heavyweight is not as much about lightning quick speed)

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't take anything away from Vitali's performance--bravo to him he and his brother as they dominate the sport.

I agree there is most likely a very serious PED problem in boxing but I'm not sure what can be done about it. They possess even less resources to deal with it then cycling does, and like cycling the testing would have to be year-round to be effective.

Privatization and setting up league structures with protection for the athletes (eg health insurance as well as anti-doping oversight) are urgently needed.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Holyfield very likely used/uses HGH.

he got them under the name "evan fields"

and the thing is , vitali had to do proper olympic drug testing once in 1996 - and failed, he got chucked out of the team for roids.

i have no doubt he and most are still at it

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just came in to add the Manny Pacquaio has a fear of needles and pulled out of a fight (think with Mayweather not sure though) where there was going to be a dope test, yet he has tattoos. Sounds iffy.

ramjambunath said:
Just came in to add the Manny Pacquaio has a fear of needles and pulled out of a fight (think with Mayweather not sure though) where there was going to be a dope test, yet he has tattoos. Sounds iffy.

That was the original excuse. Then he wanted to (1) limit the number and know the days on which his blood would be drawn or (2) fix a date after which he would not be subject to further blood tests, originally proposing 30 days prior to the fight and then suggesting two weeks.

I hadn't considered him a doper prior to this. Once I heard the excuses, I followed the logical conclusion.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Doper

Yes yes and yes, Manny Pacquio is doping...hence the "limits" he's agreeing to in making a fight with Floyd Mayweather....

If you have nothing to hide, take the test, whenever, where ever. His excuse includes the current doping rules in boxing, which do not call for blood testing, just urine....yes, you wouldnt' even have to mask your urine to pass while on HGH.

He's gone from 105lb to 147lb....all muscle...with the same speed he had while lighter...and MORE power....sounds like doping to me.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
T_S_A_R said:
pacquiao's tattoos would likely have been done with bamboo sticks rather than needles.

doesn't mean he's not been using hgh however.

Those bamboo needles are pretty sharp however. It would scare me much more personally if a man hammered a bamboo needle endlessly to get a design than a syringe needle extracting a sample. But that's just my personal preference.

Old School said:
Yes yes and yes, Manny Pacquio is doping...hence the "limits" he's agreeing to in making a fight with Floyd Mayweather....

If you have nothing to hide, take the test, whenever, where ever. His excuse includes the current doping rules in boxing, which do not call for blood testing, just urine....yes, you wouldnt' even have to mask your urine to pass while on HGH.

He's gone from 105lb to 147lb....all muscle...with the same speed he had while lighter...and MORE power....sounds like doping to me.

Yes and what's sickening is the love that he receives from SportsCenter Asia. I don't follow boxing (out of the Heavyweights) too much and my previous post was what from my knowledge gained from SportsCenter who say 'best pound to pound wrestler' more often than Pacquiao.

Still I think boxing is one of the easiest sports to get away with doping.

Poursuivant said:
Holyfield very likely used/uses HGH.
WorldsGreatest said:
he got them under the name "evan fields"...and the thing is , vitali had to do proper olympic drug testing once in 1996 - and failed, he got chucked out of the team for roids.

I have no doubt he and most are still at it

Anyone disagreeing with this has blinders on. Sorry, but when guys are boxing at an elite level into their 40's and still ripped and full of stamina...

Not a Floyd fan, but can't blame him one bit for demanding Olympic style testing.

SI article on Holyfield's doping.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
marquez last night showed what happens when you get hooked up with the good ****.

compare his physique to when he fought mayweather two years ago. whats the difference? you can only conclude it's either down to herredia or he didn't bother training for fmj.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
T_S_A_R said:
marquez last night showed what happens when you get hooked up with the good ****.

compare his physique to when he fought mayweather two years ago. whats the difference? you can only conclude it's either down to herredia or he didn't bother training for fmj.

What's even funnier about the whole pac/JMM fight is that it showed that when the playing field is even (both on 'roids), pac is average. He showed alot less aggression and punching power....yet he had "destroyed" bigger fighters in his previous fights. OR, he backed off the juice, knowing that people are catching onto his rise in stature because he WOULDN'T agree to the Olympic style testing proposed by Floyd....

And they all were saying Floyd was the chicken....buddy of mine Bill for one (I hope you saw this buddy!).

TRENDING THREADS