• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
would be interesting to know how many OOC tests a year there usually are in a sport like Alpine Skiing. I would have guessed you can count them on one hand, which makes it pretty difficult to miss three.

edit: the FIS Doping Control activity report 2021-2022 indeed only lists 298 OOC tests for 97 athletes in Alpine Skiing, so on average ~three per athlete. No idea if USADA tests may come on top of that, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sciatic
would be interesting to know how many OOC tests a year there usually are in a sport like Alpine Skiing. I would have guessed you can count them on one hand, which makes it pretty difficult to miss three.

edit: the FIS Doping Control activity report 2021-2022 indeed only lists 298 OOC tests for 97 athletes in Alpine Skiing, so on average ~three per athlete. No idea if USADA tests may come on top of that, though.
I’m curious about that too: does 3 misses = drug violation as in pro cycling?

I’m curious about that too: does 3 misses = drug violation as in pro cycling?
yeah, looks the same to me:

The following constitute anti-doping rule violations: [...]

2.4. Any combination of three missed tests and/or filing failures, as defined in the International Standard for Testing and Investigations, within a twelve-month period by an Athlete in a Registered Testing Pool [...]

10.3.2 For violations of Article 2.4, the period of Ineligibility shall be two (2) years, subject to reduction down to a minimum of one (1) year, depending on the Athlete’s degree of Fault.

I’ve been following this closely. It’s a very interesting scandal and I wondered if it would pop up on the clinic at some point.

There are all sorts of different ways to cheat in chess, so the sex toy theory (or something similar in concept) is certainly a possibility, especially with today’s technology. There is also the possibility of leaked prep, which Carlsen pointed out Niemann’s coach has been caught cheating as recently as 2020 and could be involved.

Carlsen likely has theories but is too worried about lawsuits to speak directly on what he thinks is happening.

Now there is an official investigation underway by the chess governing body so hopefully more information will make its way into the public domain.

GM Magnus Carlsen has been declared not guilty of three charges brought against him by FIDE's Ethics & Disciplinary Commission following the 2022 Sinquefield Cup, but he was fined for "withdrawing without a valid reason".
Conclusion
18 Accordingly, and taking into account all of the above, the EDC Chamber unanimously
decides as follows:
18.1 The Respondent GM Magnus Carlsen is found not guilty of a breach of Articles
11.7(f) and 11.9(f) of the FIDE Disciplinary Code.
18.2 The Respondent is found not guilty of a breach of article 11.6(b) of the FIDE
Disciplinary Code.
18.3 The Respondent is found not guilty of a breach of article 11.9(j) of the FIDE
Disciplinary Code.
18.4 The Respondent is found guilty of Article 11.9(b) of the FIDE Disciplinary Code.
18.5 The Respondent is fined 10,000 (ten thousand) Euros payable to FIDE’s financial
department within 30 days of the date of this decision.

Waiting for a Canadian lawyer to write up a report on covering positive doping tests, for lists of athletes and their code names, masking agents they used, for athletes to be suspended, for Spain’s Olympic Committee to be suspended for x number of years, for Spain to be stripped of events they were to host, for their flag and anthem not to be used in international competition and for any athlete wishing to compete, they have to sign documents and be tested rigorously by WADA and not Spain’s anti doping agency. I think that’s only fair.

Following on from BullsFan22's post above -
Names are said and accusations made - this could get interesting
https://www.relevo.com/mas-deportes/conoce-espana-positivos-dopaje-sancionar-20231227174101-nt.html
"José Luis Terreros at the head of the management of the highest Spanish anti-doping body (CELAD) and with Jesús Muñoz-Guerra as head of the Doping Control Department (DCD) the Spanish agency has left several positives unsanctioned in recent years.
WADA knew and was aware that in Spain there were positive cases that had not been sanctioned for several years and either it has turned a deaf ear, or it does not have the tools to control bad practices within its own system."

Waiting for a Canadian lawyer to write up a report on covering positive doping tests, for lists of athletes and their code names, masking agents they used, for athletes to be suspended, for Spain’s Olympic Committee to be suspended for x number of years, for Spain to be stripped of events they were to host, for their flag and anthem not to be used in international competition and for any athlete wishing to compete, they have to sign documents and be tested rigorously by WADA and not Spain’s anti doping agency. I think that’s only fair.
Sounds like someone we know ;)

Why a Canadian lawyer?

I like Muir and can only hope she's not a doper (and therefore deserves the medal), the world of athletics has me very cynical.
Since Operación Puerto, we know other sports were up to their neck in blood doping. Mostly likely the sport of football (soccer). I’ve noticed in major professional leagues many matches are not decided until the final minutes. Endurance is a massive advantage in soccer.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Since Operación Puerto, we know other sports were up to their neck in blood doping. Mostly likely the sport of football (soccer). I’ve noticed in major professional leagues many matches are not decided until the final minutes. Endurance is a massive advantage in soccer.
True, cycling and athletics do not hold a monopoly on doping, they just happen to be very well known for it. Same with the Russians.

Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva has been given a four-year ban for doping after initially being cleared.

A Russian Anti-Doping Agency (Rusada) investigation found the teenager bore "no fault or negligence" for a failed test before the 2022 Winter Olympics.

But the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) has upheld an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

News of Valieva's failed test only emerged after she had helped Russia to team gold in Beijing at the age of 15