• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpechraxler said:
I think the Wada should set strict rules for all federations how to deal with masking agents positives.

WADA can't do it. Each federation set their own penalties. WADA can only recommend to federations what penalties should be.

Part of the anti-doping theater is to sell the idea WADA has lots more authority than it really does. That's been going on since inception, and across sports all the way into the IOC. It's easy to be mislead on this issue.

Check out some of those awesome non-penalty sanctions the U.S. Swimming federation have been handing out lately.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Check out some of those awesome non-penalty sanctions the U.S. Swimming federation have been handing out lately.

Such a joke, if you know your in your "glow time" just use a diuretic flush everything out and take a warning (if you can't skip the test altogether).

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
And with beautiful Olympic timing - 13!! 13 Turkish athletes go positive.

13! in one go. Systematic problem, anyone?

Eşref Apak, Kaan Şencan, Elif Yıldırım, İsa Can, Umut Aday, Ummuhani Karaçadırlı, Fatih Eryıldırım and Narin Kahraman, Kıvılcım Kaya, Emel Güngör, Esen Kızıldağ, Hasan Birinci and Dilek Esmer'in

I'd say that's Istanbul 2020 almost toast.

martinvickers said:
And with beautiful Olympic timing - 13!! 13 Turkish athletes go positive.

13! in one go. Systematic problem, anyone?

Eşref Apak, Kaan Şencan, Elif Yıldırım, İsa Can, Umut Aday, Ummuhani Karaçadırlı, Fatih Eryıldırım and Narin Kahraman, Kıvılcım Kaya, Emel Güngör, Esen Kızıldağ, Hasan Birinci and Dilek Esmer'in

I'd say that's Istanbul 2020 almost toast.

Mustafa Sayer not amongst them.

And looks like Tokyo is guaranteed olympics then.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Mustafa Sayer not amongst them.

And looks like Tokyo is guaranteed olympics then.

Can't help but say 'good'. No country is free of doping, but the japanese, currently, have to be preferable to the turks.

Maybe a little hard on Madrid, where some people are trying to take doping in hand. But it would be a morally good thing if a nation lost out explicitly, or obviously, because of doping culture problems, pour encourager les autres.

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Tyson Gay caught, two Jamaican gold medallist from London olympics also caught, massive Turkish doping scandal...

Things are getting interesting ahead of the Moscow WC.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I would love for Bolt to get caught. And take that Muller-Wolfhart something something doctor with him, who in turn sinks Bayern Munich, who in turn sink some other football club and so on and so forth.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
"Barcelona striker Neymar has reportedly been put on a special diet by the club’s medical staff to ease signs of anemia just days after he made his debut for the club, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais... Neymar is being treated by Barcelona’s doctors for signs of anemia with an adequate diet and complementary course of vitamins..."

http://sports.inquirer.net/112749/football-neymar-suffering-from-anemia

Previously:

"We have had some players come to us at Arsenal from other clubs abroad and their red blood cell count has been abnormally high. That kind of thing makes you wonder. There are clubs who dope their players without the players knowing. The club might say that they were being injected with vitamins and the player would not necessarily know that it was something different." Arsene Wenger 2004, not long after they signed Fabregas from Barca and Reyes from Sevilla.

and:

"Le Monde in 2006 claimed to have obtained two sheets of paper from Dr Fuentes’ Canary Islands residence. According to the French publication, the documents reveal that Real Madrid and FC Barcelona were making use of Fuentes’s services. They show, for example, that the main objective of FC Barcelona was the Champions League in May, which it won, as well as having the players peak for the World Cup. The training programs include circles and ‘IG’ symbols that correspond to preparation or rest periods. These are the same symbols that we’ve recently seen used by Dr Fuentes in his plans for Real Sociedad"

And:

"Barça said they could not guarantee that Del Moral had not been engaged on an ad hoc basis by the medical department during that period, or been used by individual players."

And:

"The one doping case in which high profile players actually tested positive for doping use is the nandrolone affair of 2001 and 2002. Within a short period of time, several players were caught having used the anabolic steroid nandrolone, including world class players such as Jaap Stam, Edgar Davids, Frank de Boer, Christophe Dugarry, Fernando Couto and Josep Guardiola. Of course, they blamed it on ‘contaminated supplements’.

In an added twist, Guardiola’s doctor at his then club Brescia, Ramon Segura, worked as head doctor for FC Barcelona during Pep’s reign at the club."

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/02/09/doping-in-football-fifty-years-of-evidence/

Barca are possibly the fittest football team that I have ever seen in my life, their pressing in defence is relentless, perhaps its just down to hard work tho...

But were they a pro cycling team (or a Chris Froome), given the circumstantial evidence, people might start asking questions ;)

And in relation to the 'new Barca' Bayern Munich, (coincidentally Pep's new club) Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt, their club Doctor...

"We did some research on Müller-Wohlfahrt over the last couple of months. We didn’t translate the whole thing into English because of several legal threats from Müller-Wohlfahrts lawyer. We didn’t want to risk a lawsuit because of a small wording failure."

http://fussballdoping.derwesten-recherche.org/en/2013/05/muller-wohlfahrt-how-does-he-work/

- See more at:

You can google translate this:
http://fussballdoping.derwesten-recherche.org/?p=1682

And just for good measure...

"Bolt was suffering from a hamstring problem six weeks ago as he lost the Jamaican Olympic trials over 100m and 200m to training partner Yohan Blake.

He visited Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt's clinic in Munich for advice and treatment.

"He's a major part of my success in my career," said Bolt. "I've been going to him since I was 18 or 19. Since I first started, he's really done great work on me. After the trials he looked at my muscles, did his treatment and said:

'Don't worry, Usain. You're going to do great. Just go back and train.'"

"He's the best doctor in the world. The doctor is a great, great man."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/bolt-praise-bayern-munich-doctor-124733813.html

The "best doctor in the world", in true Hollywood style a 'loose cannon, but he gets results', maybe he's just pushing the boundaries of 'ethical treatment', but I wouldn't mind seeing some further investigations into his methods.. :cool:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site