• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
borrussia with an impressive win on bayern.
funny how in the press borrusia's incredible stamina is sold as if it were some genious tactical move.
a bit like how froome's win on the ventoux was sold as a tactical stroke of genius by walsh.
This is Bayern who have already won the league and probably are resting a number of players for the game against Madrid?

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
sniper said:
borrussia with an impressive win on bayern.
funny how in the press borrusia's incredible stamina is sold as if it were some genious tactical move.
a bit like how froome's win on the ventoux was sold as a tactical stroke of genius by walsh.

My theory on football is that the players just take any injections without questioning what they might be. And football's moral stance on doping is very relaxed- see platelet rich plasma treatment which a lot of the clubs use, also transfusions.

it's misguided to talk too much about tactics in cycling. Tactics are only useful if you've got the legs. And the legs come from dope.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling's fitness and athleticism is just incredible, and has improved incredibly. I'd like some of the stuff he is on.

gerrard and some other liverpool players also having the best season of their carreers.
the whole team definitely on the same breakfast, imo.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
All winning teams at their climax run like rabbits, every one of them.

Look at Messi now, when your body is tired and burned all the talent in the world doesn't help you win games.

I especially like Bayern, field seems to small for them, 3-4 steps and they reached center line from their 16m line.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Nathan12 said:
Gerrard has been a client of Hans Wohlfahrt in the past.
interesting, didn't know that.
how wohlfahrt still has a medical license is beyond me.

EnacheV said:
true story.

I especially like Bayern, field seems to small for them, 3-4 steps and they reached center line from their 16m line.
yep, they've shown amazing endurance/strength during the past two seasons.
And they're all tall guys, making it look extra impressive.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
liverpool are gonna win the league. who couldhave guessed that.

Steve Peters really is a miracle worker.

In reality (in my view) its probably more to do with spending £m wisely and Rodgers getting the most out of them, but if you want to insinuate (as I am sure you are trying) that its linked to a Sky person and therefore doping then fine you go ahead. I really am puzzled though - how do you get through a normal day when you see so much lying, doping, and corruption, etc. around you...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Justinr said:
In reality (in my view) its probably more to do with spending £m wisely and Rodgers getting the most out of them, but if you want to insinuate (as I am sure you are trying) that its linked to a Sky person and therefore doping then fine you go ahead. I really am puzzled though - how do you get through a normal day when you see so much lying, doping, and corruption, etc. around you...

you have to be incredibly dumb or naive to think there isnt doping at the top level of football.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
you have to be incredibly dumb or naive to think there isnt doping at the top level of football.

I don't deny that FIFA's (and lower levels) approach to doping is poor. My post (if you had read it properly) was about yet another comment insinuating (in my view) a connection between a current / ex SKY person and increases in performance and therefore doping, even if it wasn't spelled out in so many words.

Post the link where I said that Football was clean and I'll buy you a pint ...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, Ronnie O'Sullivan said the best thing United can do is hire Peters.

Cue the accusations now of O'Sullivan taking PEDs to help hit 147s.:rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Justinr said:
I don't deny that FIFA's (and lower levels) approach to doping is poor. My post (if you had read it properly) was about yet another comment insinuating (in my view) a connection between a current / ex SKY person and increases in performance and therefore doping, even if it wasn't spelled out in so many words.

Post the link where I said that Football was clean and I'll buy you a pint ...

Cool story bro

Justinr said:

So you are the guy who when the train breaks down says - lets close the curtains and pretends its moving.

EnacheV said:

Look at Messi now, when your body is tired and burned all the talent in the world doesn't help you win games.

Maybe Messi is doping now and wasn't previously.

You see what is there, then interpret it as evidence for whatever you already believe.

So Gerrard was clean his entire career, when tons of others were doping, and now he finally joined the club? But Messi doped since age 15 and now for the first time his career he isn't doped because he played one very bad match?

It's not really true that winning teams run more. They play better. That means they are ahead of their opponent. They arrive first because they start first and/or have to move less distance. Check the stats.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So you are the guy who when the train breaks down says - lets close the curtains and pretends its moving.

You know what Hitch - I haven't the slightest clue what you are on about, all I can assume is that you clearly worry too much about what is going on in this world.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
If you only watched the first half, you'd think Liverpool were the dopers

If you only watched the second half, you'd think City were the dopers

If you watch any team managed by Guardiola, you'd know who the dopers are

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. Foreign types like Spaniards or Germans seem pretty shifty to me, probably doping. Much like diving, it's something notably absent in the English Game.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly irrelevant point to make when most of the players involved in the game today were foreign

The suspicion regards Guardiola is more to do with his nandrolone escapades as a player, the links between Spanish football and Fuentes, and that all the players he coaches thunder around the pitch like lab rats

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BradCantona said:
If you only watched the first half, you'd think Liverpool were the dopers

If you only watched the second half, you'd think City were the dopers

If you watch any team managed by Guardiola, you'd know who the dopers are

If you know anything about the history of doping in the sport, you would assume everyone at the top level is doping. Remeber Juventus, Fuentes, etc etc. Why would anyone stop doping?

1: It is almost impossible to get caught, you would have to be a massive idiot for that to happen. Remember Joey Barton said he was never tested for blood in his entire career. So you can pretty much assume there is 0 risk of testing positive.

2: The reward is immense, both for the team and the player.

The big teams have their own medical facilities. So there is no need for that mess of visiting a camper van of some shady character in Italy.

In this scenario, why would anyone not be doping?

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
If you know anything about the history of doping in the sport, you would assume everyone at the top level is doping. Remeber Juventus, Fuentes, etc etc. Why would anyone stop doping?

1: It is almost impossible to get caught, you would have to be a massive idiot for that to happen. Remember Joey Barton said he was never tested for blood in his entire career. So you can pretty much assume there is 0 risk of testing positive.

The big teams have their own medical facilities. So there is no need for that mess of visiting a camper van of some shady character in Italy.

Mind you they threw the book at Rio F that time he missed a drugs test - 8 month ban. And he voluntarily took the test the next day and was clear - although that may not prove much.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:

No question the incentive is there, with the money in the game, and the risk / reward ratio so bias as it is currently

If Joey Barton was doping and that career was all he was capable of, God help him

TRENDING THREADS