• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
UEFA already claimed the football doesn't have a doping problem so it's all good :D

I believe them, hey who wouldn't!! Just off to email my bank details and sort code to that nice man from Nigeria who has $4 million for me to safe keep.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Indeed. Saw that in the follow-up versions.

Lets follow the money trial to the end, and hopefully get the whole rotten house cleared.

Quoting the generally regarded greatest TV show ever

'You follow drugs, you get drug users and drug dealers.
But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the f*** it's gonna take you'

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that Scottish footballer, Jordan McMillan, who was signed to Partick Thistle FC in the Scottish Premiership until March 2015, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Cocaine metabolites
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/scottish-footballer-jordan-mcmillan-receives-two-year-ban/

Full decision
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6863

There's a good chance this guy was target tested with the agreement of his club.

McMillan is a guy who a lot of rumours swirl around. He thought he wasn't needed for the midweek game and obviously partied on the Sunday when the Old Firm game was on (he's a huge Rangers fan). On the Tuesday he gets a call asking him to go on the bench and after being an unused sub he gets pulled for the 'random' test.

End result is his club get to sack a guy they don't want and the SFA send a message to the rest of the Scottish football cocaine set.

Just read an article about klopps "tactics". Quite a laugh actually since it turns out, the entire tactic is based on the idea of players running a lot none stop and never getting tired.

It's called gegenpress based on the German tradition of bringing several words together to make one bigger word.

Sounds great, but try operating it with a nondopedtothegills team.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
With the famed British reluctance to doping, Klopp will find it hard to get the gegenpress going. He'll do about as well as the good old Brenny Rodgers.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Blatter resigns!

This saga reminds me more and more of Nixon and Watergate. A powerful chief executive confronted with all kinds of illegal activities perpetrated by his underlings, denying he knows anything about it. Insists he will never resign. Then, much more quickly than people expect, the end comes. In fact, in today's world, these things seem to play out much faster.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2476623/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-resigns-amid-corruption-scandal

"FIFA needs a profound overhaul," Blatter said in French, according to FIFA's translation. "While I have a mandate from the membership of FIFA, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football -- the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at FIFA.

"Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate [as president] at an extraordinary elective congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as FIFA president until that election."

If he had resigned the instant the arrests were made public, he could have spun it as the executive doing the right thing, taking the heat even while insisting he knew nothing about the bribes. He might have gotten a little credit for that. The fact that he at first refused to resign, though, makes it pretty obvious that he's only doing so now because he knows that if he doesn't he will be forced out by the investigation. Someone will spill on him, maybe already has.

And now this:

Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini and Jérôme Valcke suspended for 90 days

This game of football and its rules are so complicated.

How do you suspend someone when they have already resigned?

Dave.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

tantocomo said:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/26/footballers-risks-drugs-fleetwood-gerard-kinsella

I don't think we expect anything to come out about PEDs at the higher end of the sport yet, but at least it's getting more media attention. And the comments underneath show more recognition of it, rather than the 'PEDs won't help you shoot more accurately' denial line.

I dont think it gets more media attention.

media still have vested interests and are unerpinning the dominant class in society. What you are seeing is a push from below, but not a putsch.

there is enough small leaks, and other information, that interested and inquiring minds can ascertain about drugs in sport. But most people do not want this information, you are only seeing a minute slither of sport viewing consumers, who actually seek to determine the truth about PEDs. It is a very small sample, and it is a self selective sample posting on the Clinic. well, there are a few nay-sayers also.

But we will not hear about the current cyclists and olympic gold medalists in Britain, and their doping. We wont. Lance Armstrong is the exception that proves the rule. Marion Jones and Barry Bonds are the exceptions that proves the rule. They pushed their luck, rode their luck, and hubris got the better of them. If they stayed marginally below the radar, the authorities would not have busted them. We dont seek to break down, pull down our champions. Like Bill Clinton told the DA, Birotte, we wont kill our champions in the US. That is not how we roll.

Paula will be fine. Everyone will have forgotten about this in 36 months. Just like I forgot about the 6 CSC positives for Myocera in the 2007 Tour when Piepoli and Ricco were busted (Cobo skated on the skin on his teeth), but they let the other riders go who tested positve. It was about 26 riders. 6 CSC, I think a bunch of Gerolsteiner riders too.

But until someone raised this on the Clinic 6 months ago, I had forgot all about it. And the web is wiped clean of all reference to this. I should ask Albergotti and OConnell about this, and if they have any info on it.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Wenger not happy with Zagreb and Ademi's doping case.

“We were a bit unlucky having watched the [Zagreb and Olympiakos] games again,” Wenger said. Then, alluding to a wider issue, Wenger continued: “When you don’t play at your best and your opponent is doped, it is difficult.”

Wenger has consistently criticised football’s lack of vigour at tackling doping and he suspects that the rarity of positive tests might be a sign that the systems are not working rather than that players are not cheating. “We have organised World Cups before now with 740 players and zero doping cases and I don’t know if that is really a fact,” the Arsenal manager said.

“We have to wait as well because there is a counter check [on Ademi] to see what comes out. The rules are the rules and I cannot change that. I don’t think the result is really under any threat.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11941738/Arsenal-vs-Bayern-Munich-Arsene-Wenger-remains-deeply-unhappy-at-being-beaten-by-a-doped-opponent.html

Re: Re:

irondan said:
del1962 said:
Link is broken..
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2651315/ioc-drops-sepp-blatter-from-world-anti-doping-agency-board

That must be some bad stuff he did. The IOC is well known as a gallery of rogues.

Imagine the stuff he's done we'll never hear about.

Probably already posted:http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/post/2678646/dfb-chief-niersbach-lying-over-2006-world-cup-zwanziger

He was unable to explain why FIFA would require the €6.7m -- which, according to the DFB, was intended for the world governing body's "Cultural Programme" -- in order to release the grant. FIFA has said that any such arrangement would not fit with its "procedures and guidelines."

Hey that Internet scam works! "Send me the 6 million and I'll use it to get 170 million out of my country."

This is why you work in a sports federation. A few million Euros apparently fall off the table.

TRENDING THREADS