• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 226 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

zarnack said:
Well, if you argue that someone is suspicious, because he/she is on form just for the championships, you can also argue it's suspicious that someone can be stunningly good for the whole season and not get worn out. In the end this argument is a dead-end.
That's misunderstanding, I argue neither of the options, my point is different, hence I do not quote Bullsfan22.

Re:

zarnack said:
Well, if you argue that someone is suspicious, because he/she is on form just for the championships, you can also argue it's suspicious that someone can be stunningly good for the whole season and not get worn out. In the end this argument is a dead-end.

My argument has always boiled down to that the top skiers are all on something. If 2nd and 3rd place are caught doping, for example, there is no chance the winner is clean. Hitting your peak at the championships so often after feigning sickness and doing one or two races before worlds or Olympics, then all of a sudden have no issues skiing 3 or 4 races within a week is suspicious.

Two crippled Norwegians winning gold and bronze. The rheumatic Röthe who this year has risen like the Phoenix after TUEs on new medication. And of course asthmatic Johnsrud Sundby who claims he has only 80% of the lung capacity of an ordinary untrained man in his age,

Re:

Discgear said:
Two crippled Norwegians winning gold and bronze. The rheumatic Röthe who this year has risen like the Phoenix after TUEs on new medication. And of course asthmatic Johnsrud Sundby who claimes he has only 80% of the lung capacity of an ordinary untrained man in his age,

And I hope Frenchfry will be suspicious of those two just as he was with Bolshunov last weekend. If Bolshunov is doping, then those two are as well. There's no in between.

Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
Discgear said:
Two crippled Norwegians winning gold and bronze. The rheumatic Röthe who this year has risen like the Phoenix after TUEs on new medication. And of course asthmatic Johnsrud Sundby who claimes he has only 80% of the lung capacity of an ordinary untrained man in his age,

And I hope Frenchfry will be suspicious of those two just as he was with Bolshunov last weekend. If Bolshunov is doping, then those two are as well. There's no in between.

Sometimes I think you only see what you want to see. Last time I commented I compared Bolshunov's performance to Johaug (who is Norwegian as I recall). I am not only suspicious of the Russians, however they are near the top of the list. The Norwegians with their state of the art inhalation set-up aren't any better.

Are only the French clean?

frenchfry said:
BullsFan22 said:
Discgear said:

Sometimes I think you only see what you want to see. Last time I commented I compared Bolshunov's performance to Johaug (who is Norwegian as I recall). I am not only suspicious of the Russians, however they are near the top of the list. The Norwegians with their state of the art inhalation set-up aren't any better.

No the French aren't clean either, they wouldn't be so far up in the rankings if they were. Last time I checked 5th and 8th place is pretty high on the list, for any team. Skis and conditions today helped. Please, this is like the French telling all of us that they are the only ones clean in the Tour de France, when that just isn't the case.

France almost beat Russia in the men's relay in 2014 when the Russians were 'allegedly' doping, then they beat the Russians in 2015 in Falun.

BullsFan22 said:
frenchfry said:
BullsFan22 said:
Discgear said:

No the French aren't clean either, they wouldn't be so far up in the rankings if they were. Last time I checked 5th and 8th place is pretty high on the list, for any team. Skis and conditions today helped. Please, this is like the French telling all of us that they are the only ones clean in the Tour de France, when that just isn't the case.

France almost beat Russia in the men's relay in 2014 when the Russians were 'allegedly' doping, then they beat the Russians in 2015 in Falun.

You need a bit of a sense of humour!

Talking about doping here, any idea, what Johaug could be doing? And let's not compare to other countries, is she for example doing anything different to her own team-mates? She easily pulls a minute on them, and her Norwegian team-mates are some of the best of the world.

frenchfry said:
BullsFan22 said:
frenchfry said:
BullsFan22 said:
Discgear said:

You need a bit of a sense of humour!

You need to work on your sarcasm :)

Bavarianrider said:
Athletes from Austria, Estland and Kasachstan have been caught blood dooing at Seefeld!!!
Presss conference at 3. pm!

Haha those Austrians skiers never fail to amaze :lol: :lol: :lol:

You laugh, but I think that’s sad. Estonia and Kazakhstan don’t have the means to ‘mask’ their substances or get some high quality dope mechanisms. It makes you wonder what the bigger fish are doing.

Wonder how much of an impact that will have on these last few races. Wonder if any significant drop offs will be seen. But then again, the weather is so warm that that will likely be the case for a number of the contenders.

Is it logical that some total outsiders like Estonians (well, nowadays, not 10 years ago) use doping, while top athletes are clean? Well, hell no.

I think it simply shows that big teams also must have excellent medical team to support them. Sportsmen are unlikely to know all the nuances and smaller teams with less support in every area (including medical support) are more likely to make mistakes.

Reminds me, how Finland got caught in 2001. Their medical people thought that hemohes couldn't be discovered. Well, that was a costly error! The likes of Norway and Sweden so far have managed to stay up to date and not make such mistakes. :p Apart from Johaug obviously.

Sad about Poltoranin though. XC just keeps suffering with more competitive nations dropping out.

Today's raid -
bigOriginal.jpg

It’s incredible how clean nations like Sweden and Norway can compete when seemingly every other nation is blood doping except for the North Americans. Sad to see poltoranin go, but such is life, cleaner field tomorrow I gues!