• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping inspector backs Armstrong

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2012
Visit site
Look Mark, I realize I have exposed your inept interpretation of the law a couple of times, and I know that is really embarrassing, so I understand your need to get a tick in the win column. It's a natural reaction. Don't worry, I will make an actual mistake sooner or later, and you can have your day then. Of course, it is guaranteed that you will make numerous mistakes in relation to the law in the future, so I wouldn't get too happy about that day. Just a suggestion.

Sprocket01 said:
Britain's Barry Broadbent, a UCI doping inspector, says the AFLD claims are wide of the mark.

He also believes Astana were among the most scrutinized teams on the race.

"If I were to make a report on the Tour de France, I would say they were the opposite," said Broadbent when asked what he thought of a damning report by the AFLD which criticised the UCI's anti-doping system at the race.

"The AFLD were subjecting them to more controls at more inconvenient times than anyone else.

"To say that one team had privileges when clearly they were tested more than any other team seems quite ridiculous to me."

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...about-testing-Armstrong-Contador-at-Tour.aspx

I guess looking back with what we know now that this guy is an idiot.

or

he's not an idiot and testing even from the AFLD is next to useless.

Not much to take from all of this.

guilder said:
AFLD can't continue to exist by merely testing samples and following procedure. It's an embarrassment for them to receive a disproportional endowment when ultimately their job is to assure the perception the TDF is relatively clean which happens to be 9 months away.

The AFLD appears desperate by plying the emotions of the public as if opinion means more than solid proof.

You are getting warmer.

Their job is to maintain the perception that the TdF is clean. Like the Biological Passport, it's about maintaining the perception that something important is being done.

ChewbaccaD said:
Look Mark, I realize I have exposed your inept interpretation of the law a couple of times, and I know that is really embarrassing, so I understand your need to get a tick in the win column. It's a natural reaction. Don't worry, I will make an actual mistake sooner or later, and you can have your day then. Of course, it is guaranteed that you will make numerous mistakes in relation to the law in the future, so I wouldn't get too happy about that day. Just a suggestion.

Did I make a mistake by pointing out your error?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This guy is an idiot all right ..his opinion was held by a half dozen Euro governments that didn't see reason to pursue Lance and he really looks dumb now that the top team from the US spent millions again confirming his silly observations. This guy is an idiot
.funny the guy who typed in this bait was banned
after 2 posts

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
This guy is an idiot all right ..his opinion was held by a half dozen Euro governments that didn't see reason to pursue Lance and he really looks dumb now that the top team from the US spent millions again confirming his silly observations. This guy is an idiot
.funny the guy who typed in this bait was banned
after 2 posts

You didn't read the link did you?

USADA decided not to investigate? Really?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Did I make a mistake by pointing out your error?

You didn't point out an error. You pointed out a place where there should have been more clarity in what I meant. And certainly, what I wrote was unclear.

But if you need to pretend that I was mistaken to bolster your self-esteem, well, be my guest. If I had as much egg on my face as do you, I might do the same thing.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You didn't read the link did you?

USADA decided not to investigate? Really?

to be clear the USADA was not mentioned in the story via the link. The person quoted in the story was Mr.Barry Broadbent,his resume landed him a job testing elite bike racers. I tend to believe that he knows more about doping controls than most posters.
The USADA investigated Lance and after and extensive inquiry by highly trained and funded professionals decided that it was best not to pursue it further. Lots of experts in many fields,all with similar conclusions. The non-experts disagree,strongly,Landis and Tyler even more.

Credible people tried and left,turning the light off as they closed the door but some just won't let it die.

fatandfast said:
to be clear the USADA was not mentioned in the story via the link. The person quoted in the story was Mr.Barry Broadbent,his resume landed him a job testing elite bike racers. I tend to believe that he knows more about doping controls than most posters.
The USADA investigated Lance and after and extensive inquiry by highly trained and funded professionals decided that it was best not to pursue it further. Lots of experts in many fields,all with similar conclusions. The non-experts disagree,strongly,Landis and Tyler even more.

Credible people tried and left,turning the light off as they closed the door but some just won't let it die.

Sloppy reasoning doesn't make you correct. Or clear.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

You are confused.

WADA was indeed part of the original link. WADA is the global governing body, ALFD is their French arm, USADA is their American arm. They described the special treatment given to wonderboy's team as "Blatant"

"highly trained and funded professionals" decided there was "overwhelming evidence of guilt" Charges had already been drawn up and were about to be filed. ONE person ignored this and momentarily paused the case

Now the credible people at WADA will sanction Lance soon

Race Radio said:
"highly trained and funded professionals" decided there was "overwhelming evidence of guilt" Charges had already been drawn up and were about to be filed. ONE person ignored this and momentarily paused the case

I don't think that there is enough information to support the conclusion that Birotte was the ONE person who made the decision to terminate the investigation led by his office. Think about it. There is at least one other related investigation--the one involving Floyd's Fairness Fraud and there may be another--the one involving Johan's Airport Adventure. If there are multiple investigations involving multiple jurisdictions, doesn't that suggest that some kind of coordination took place and that the decision was not Birotte's decision alone?

I'm not saying that it wasn't Birotte's sole decision, but a better guess (given the information that we now have) might be that other people in the Justice Department were also involved.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
the thread morphs itself into a Lance hate thread no matter what kind of facts are here or not. The velonation article doesn't mention WADA,doesn't mention any US federal authorities. Just an opinion from a UCI doping inspector that says that other agencies had an axe to grind with Astana.

If WADA 20 years after Lance's career started find a way to sanction him so be it. The evidence is there that states,when and who he was tested by and the results.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
The velonation article doesn't mention WADA,.

You do realized the AFLD is the French arm of WADA don't you? AFLD is prominently mentioned in the article. They wrote the report critical of the UCI. The UCI has given special treatment to Armstrong and his teams for over a decade. The AFLD showed that it continued in a 15 page report with multiple clear examples of preferential treatment

Pointing this out is not "Hate" it is reality.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
the thread morphs itself into a Lance hate thread no matter what kind of facts are here or not. The velonation article doesn't mention WADA,doesn't mention any US federal authorities. Just an opinion from a UCI doping inspector that says that other agencies had an axe to grind with Astana.

If WADA 20 years after Lance's career started find a way to sanction him so be it. The evidence is there that states,when and who he was tested by and the results.

You mean like the 1999 tests which showed he took EPO?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow - I saw the thread sitting there near the top of the forum - marked as unread content. I thought we had something new! I wish somebody coulda warned me that this is a necro-thread. The OP is 3 years old, for cryin' out loud. I'll have to start looking more selectively before I bother clicking next time.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Caruut said:
You mean like the 1999 tests which showed he took EPO?

if anything in 1999 is not a stretch for you, there is the problem. Maybe we should jump back a superstar or two and dig thru the details on Eddy Merckx positive test and suspension. Why stop with Armstrong really turn this clock back and lets get everybody, or is that not the point. Everybody else is not important only Lance .

Were the couple of times Sean Kelly was popped the total of his use? Why not really dig. Roche was as red handed as anything Lance has done but it was just a note in history rather than a drumbeat for prosecution..why?

fatandfast said:
if anything in 1999 is not a stretch for you, there is the problem. Maybe we should jump back a superstar or two and dig thru the details on Eddy Merckx positive test and suspension. Why stop with Armstrong really turn this clock back and lets get everybody, or is that not the point. Everybody else is not important only Lance .

Were the couple of times Sean Kelly was popped the total of his use? Why not really dig. Roche was as red handed as anything Lance has done but it was just a note in history rather than a drumbeat for prosecution..why?

All this has been covered, you are either willfully ignorant or lack simple reading comprehension skills. Or you really don't read any other posts, but simply pop up from time to time like a pimple, just to let everybody know that you have an opinion.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
All this has been covered, you are either willfully ignorant or lack simple reading comprehension skills. Or you really don't read any other posts, but simply pop up from time to time like a pimple, just to let everybody know that you have an opinion.

ouch.I hope your sister corrected you as to how I pop up

Hugh Januss said:

fatandfast said:
ouch.I hope your sister corrected you as to how I pop up

Two peas in a pod.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
And there was the paper published that argued it wasn't the EPO, it was the fact that he got one nut removed:

http://deadspin.com/5306498/a-nutty-theory-about-lance-armstrong

Of course it was NOT EPO. Only riders with loose chainring bolts still believe it was EPO that transformed Lance. I mean, come on - was Lance riding with one ball years before his transformation? NO! Did Lance stop riding with one ball after the EPO test came out in 2001? NO!

"But Lance faked his operation to fool the slueths"
Tighten the bolts boys, tighten the bolts.

But of course it was not the "endocrinological changes induced by his unilateral orchiectomy" ALONE that was responsible for the transformation. Get serious. There were many other attributes and reasons. A whole quiver full of reasons.

But the mental/physical effects of surviving cancer played THE major role. Intense motivation and self control. INTENSE. Lance Intense. Lazer like intense. Weighing his cheeseburgers with a gram scale intense. Not having to overtrain to work off extra poundage intense. Intense Intense Intense.

Just think if Lance put his mind to winning Paris-Roubaix after his transformation. Lazer like focus on Paris-Roubaix alone. How many would he have won. 5? 6? 7?
"But Lance never showed promise at Paris-Roubaix"...
Actually, he kind of did. Not as much promise as he hinted as a GT rider, but still some promise. Diamond Legs and the "next big USA rider" as a young man.
People in the know knew.

Doctor Ferrari had reason to be proud. He was working with Lance before and after the transformation. And Ferrari worked with so many riders, since 1993 even - but NEVER saw anything like the Lance Transformation.

LiveStrong.