• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping Ring in Girona + responses to Tondo's revelation

May 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/catalan-police-break-up-doping-ring-in-girona

Not surprisingly, we all know several former and active liked to be based there.

Yet, the only reaction I expect from all anglo saxon clinic jedi haters is "ohh so much doping going on in Spain..it sucks"

The opposite in my opinion, it seems Spanish police is quite active nowadays when it comes to chasing these guys. You don't read very often doping rings getting dismantled in other European countries such as Germany, Luxembourg or Belgium where doping is rampant too..:cool:

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Not surprisingly, we all know several former and active liked to be based there.

Yet, the only reaction I expect from all anglo saxon clinic jedi haters is "ohh so much doping going on in Spain..it sucks"

The opposite in my opinion, it seems Spanish police is quite active nowadays when it comes to chasing these guys. You don't read very often doping rings getting dismantled in other European countries such as Germany, Luxembourg or Belgium where doping is rampant too..:cool:

and the purpose of this thread is?

I don't think there's ever been an issue of police work, but rather concerns (justified or not depending on one's pov) that the gathered evidence may not be followed up on on a national federation level.

How's Operación Galgo coming along, btw?

Also on a related note, i'm not particularly surprised about drugs coming in from Andorra.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So the purpose here is to discuss that Spain is not the only country that dopes and that Spain is active in the anti-doping "war". If this is the case I'll change the name of the thread and the first post, because I could not make this out of what was posted

Ooh wait, I found the news, would it not have been better to include this information, so that people understand what you are talking about?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:

Well if you call other posters here 'anglo saxon clinic jedi haters' then you rightly will expect a reaction - which is your goal.

Doping is not a nationality problem - it is a sporting one - pull in your flag and post a link to the new drug ring in Spain.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Kodiak said:
Guess there is a supply of Clen in spain after all.

I hope the Spanish beef industry milk this for all it's worth. They certainly do not deserve the mud already thrown at them.

cheers

Find me an accountant involved in fraud and whom does not lie! OR find me a doper who does not lie!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
On another website they had this story and another one where Contador asks for a change in the rules regarding Clenbuterol side by side
classic.
I think the Spanish police must feel some exasparation at this point, what more can they do?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
What a surprise. In Spain of all places. I hate to use a cricket term but Spain definitely has a better strike rate at the moment than Australia..........at getting caught that is.

is that becuase so many foreign pro cyclists live in Catalan Spain:D

wonder did White and Lowe shop their dealer because they owed him big bucks and didn't want to pay:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
Doping is a Spanish problem.

All other countries are clean.

Especially Australia.
what about the IGF from the Ozzies in Adelaide. Cant wait til they bust an Ozzie ring. Hope Tan is involved in breaking the story and wears his blue suit.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Gosh guys, remember when we had to wait months (and sometimes "years") for this kind of stuff to hit the bricks? Now we get several juicy bits every DAY.

Race Radio was right, it is going to be an interesting year.

roundabout said:
I don't think there's ever been an issue of police work, but rather concerns (justified or not depending on one's pov) that the gathered evidence may not be followed up on on a national federation level.

Exactly right. The federation and the UCI (again) is where it all falls apart. They appear as complicit as USAC and the UCI.

As for the tired, false claim that Clenbuterol is used in the Spanish cattle industry, this one deserves to die. To begin to make the lie believable, Spain couldn't be part of the EU. I know the UCI and Contador will retell this lie every time the issue arises, but that doesn't make it true.

nevada said:
Any names yet ?
Aside from Jordi Riera, nope. At this point (we'll see later on I suppose) it looks like this ring didn't really deal with pros - but then you have to wonder why they offered their stuff to a pro rider who tipped the police off. The clients were bodybuilders, federated (but not pro) cyclists, endurance athletes, triathletes, what have you. The reports say it's the first time they document the use of PEDs on minors.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Aside from Jordi Riera, nope. At this point (we'll see later on I suppose) it looks like this ring didn't really deal with pros - but then you have to wonder why they offered their stuff to a pro rider who tipped the police off. The clients were bodybuilders, federated (but not pro) cyclists, endurance athletes, triathletes, what have you. The reports say it's the first time they document the use of PEDs on minors.

Depressing but not surprising.

Kodiak said:
Guess there is a supply of Clen in spain after all.

Dallas_ said:
I hope the Spanish beef industry milk this for all it's worth. They certainly do not deserve the mud already thrown at them.

Ehrm, not to rain on your parade here, guys, but this doping ring with clen is not the only Spanish clen ring uncovered, remember? A few months back there was a clen ring busted that doped, what was it now? Cattle?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
Ehrm, not to rain on your parade here, guys, but this doping ring with clen is not the only Spanish clen ring uncovered, remember? A few months back there was a clen ring busted that doped, what was it now? Cattle?
wrong it was horses
it started with the headline "LIVESTOCK" which most people feel is cattle but when u read the story it was race horses.

This along with the other recent Clenbuterol positives makes me suspect that Clenbuterol is currently being widely used in the peloton. This is one of the reasons I have a hard time believing Contador. I still feel he settled on the contaminated meat defense because other athletes have recently had their bans reduced or overturned and Contador felt this was his best chance to avoid being sanctioned.

TRENDING THREADS