• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dr Mario Zorzoli

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Let's put together a list of the things he has done down through the years as they relate to doping, etc.

Here's the one I remember first:

In the spring of 2010, some riders of a Pro-Tour team that were training at altitude (on Teide, Tenerife) were subjected to the normal ABP samples. One they received the results of the analysis, considering them unreliable (the values were too high), all it took was a phone call from the team doctor to his friend Dr. Zorzoli, in charge of UCI's doping department, in order to get the results of those tests cleared from the profiles, as deemed inconvenient for the Team and for the sake of the Biological Passport system, which tends not to consider the effects of altitude.
This behavior reminds me of the rather common habit of certain Researchers to hide or simply ignore "inconvenient data", i.e. furthest from the "truth" that they want to prove.

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=115

Sep 29, 2012
Lance's EPO samples:

The president of the International Cycling Union, Pat McQuaid, has confirmed the UCI's chief medical officer, Dr Mario Zorzoli, as the source of the 15 documents that provided evidence for French sports newspaper L'Equipe to allege Lance Armstrong used EPO in the 1999 Tour de France. McQuaid said to Cyclingnews on Wednesday, March 1, when asked if Dr Zorzoli was the source of the documents, "he was, yes, unfortunately". Subsequently, Dr Zorzoli has stood aside from his position while an independent investigation continues.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-confirms-zorzoli-as-uci-source-of-armstrong-documents

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
He covered up Rasmussens doping, with help of our old friend, Dr Leinders.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...yte-threshold-during-2005-Tour-de-France.aspx
However one of the most serious of his allegations was that that the UCI had not acted in 2005 when he had clear signs of doping during that year’s Tour. He writes that his value of immature red blood cells [reticulocytes] was just 0.23, under the minimum threshold of 0.3. However he stated that after team doctor Gert Leinders med with the UCI’s doctor Mario Zorzoli, that the governing body let him continue in the race.

He suggested that the team was such a big sponsor of the sport that the UCI essentially turned a blind eye to his drug use.

Sep 29, 2012
TUE approval for Froome:

The request for a TUE came from Tour de France winner Froome's Sky team doctor, Alan Farrell, and was approved “solely by the UCI medical sirector Mario Zorzoli”, the paper claimed.

The World Anti-Doping Agency is apprently studying the case, the paper said.

Froome was permitted to take up to 40mg of the drug prenisolone a day. The drug is administered in tablet form.

But according to Dr Gerard Guillaume, cited by the Journal du Dimanche as an expert: “The rules state that taking steroids by mouth is prohibited during competition and that if a cyclist displays a condition requiring such a treatment, he is clearly not fit to take part and that any request for a TUE must be considered by a group of experts.”

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cycling/froome-has-unfair-advantage-report-1.1703876

Approved 29th April

2nd May Froome and Spilak leave everyone behind on a MTF: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-romandie-2014-2014/stage-3/results

4th May Froome beats Tony Martin to with the final stage TT: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-romandie-2014-2014/stage-5/results

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
From David Millar's book

"Riccos arrogance and the episode at Flanders had tipped me over thee edge. I contacted the UCI saying that I had my suspicions about doping within my team, and that I wanted them to be aware of this. They told me they were looking in to it.

But there were issues. Marco Zorzoli, the UCI's chief medical officer, is a good friend of Mauro Gianetti. I am not suggesting that this affected Zorzoli's work, but it was indicative of a wider conflict of interests. The UCI's positioning, as both promoters of cycling and guardians of its ethics, has always been controversial."

i think you all misunderstand zorzoli. i would do the same job as zorzoli myself
everyone knows that zorzoli shared infos and helped anybody not just a team. gianetti and saunier duval was one of them until the french got their hands on the testing of 2008.

zorzoli is NEEDED! at the head of uci medical department. some of you guys still believe in unicorns. i think other people replacing him might help only the anglo-saxons team for example. i don't want that. i want katusha and astana to fly too. geox back in the day, lampre now. i want the whole peloton to fly
for me, it's everybody or nobody. and nobody, is not possible. never will be

jens_attacks said:
zorzoli is NEEDED! at the head of uci medical department.

While I absolutely agree some medical expert is needed, what I believe the reason for this thread is how he has strategically assisted the UCI in presenting their anti-doping theater.

He appears to be a consistent source of the "most sophisticated anti-doping system ever... And it works!!" propaganda for sports medicine relate audiences. If he graces mere mortals outside the medical field with his opinion, his expertise is a deep source of gravitas.

for many of the clinic, the life is black or white,good or bad. 99% bad:D

zorzoli was and isn't doing favours to a special team but to everyone, sends letters to radioactive riders like phil,chouchou and countless others,warning them they fly too close to the sun in order for us to not read in the papers about new cycling doping positive and to me, the most important thing he did, he kept riders alive. he allowed and allows it because he knows it's impossible otherwise but doesn't let them to drop dead in hotel or on the road.
a newcomer wouldn't know anything about this world and would fail big time.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i want katusha and astana to fly too. geox back in the day, lampre now. i want the whole peloton to fly
Good one,that's my opinion too.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Are you saying he's not the doctor pro cycling deserves but the one it needs?

Yes, due to the lack of willingness by UCI to deal with doping.

The BP was designed to get doping off the UCI's back. It meant riders had to reign it in and get organised with their programs and not take big risks. The BP was meant to make riders and teams take their doping seriously and it did. Programs have had to be devised to keep riders in between certain levels with the blood profiles and then they have the matter of avoiding positives in races, which is where the TUEs come in and new PEDs that they have not devised tests for. Hence the need for more than 1 doctor per team.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
people who believe cycling will change live in fantasy world. as long as the sun will rise, the cyclists will charge. it was like this since the beginning of time and will always be
this of course.

jens_attacks said:
i think you all misunderstand zorzoli. i would do the same job as zorzoli myself
everyone knows that zorzoli shared infos and helped anybody not just a team. gianetti and saunier duval was one of them until the french got their hands on the testing of 2008.

zorzoli is NEEDED! at the head of uci medical department. some of you guys still believe in unicorns. i think other people replacing him might help only the anglo-saxons team for example. i don't want that. i want katusha and astana to fly too. geox back in the day, lampre now. i want the whole peloton to fly

You know that might not be happening right?

So your theory needs info to back it up.

TRENDING THREADS