• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dream Tour GC Team of current riders.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jspear said:
Quintana: One of the top or the top GC rider right now. I'd take him over AC because he's a little younger.
Chaves: Great budding GC rider. He'd keep the team in high spirits.
Superman Lopez: Great climber. Still getting better.
Dayer Quintana: He'll continue to get better. He can climb pretty well when he's on his A game.
Rigoberto Uran: A decent all rounder. On my team he'd never get sick and he'd be even better.
Carlos Betancur: My trainers would rediscover his form of old.
Sergio Henao: He'd win every LBL, FW, type stage.
Julian Arredondo: He'd make a good dom for the early parts of mountain stages
Fernando Gaviria: He'd win every sprint stage.

No echelons ;)

Re: Re:

GP Blanco said:
Jspear said:
Quintana: One of the top or the top GC rider right now. I'd take him over AC because he's a little younger.
Dayer Quintana: He'll continue to get better. He can climb pretty well when he's on his A game.
Rigoberto Uran: A decent all rounder. On my team he'd never get sick and he'd be even better.

No echelons ;)

Ah this team would kill it once the mountains come. :)

Re:

Jspear said:

That team would be screwed in crosswinds, but it's still impressive how great the Colombian team would be if instead of having trade teams, we only allowed national teams at Grand Tours.

Looking at other big nations, just a couple of possibilities (looking purely at GC):

Froome, Thomas, Stannard, Rowe, Cummings, Dowsett, Kennaugh, Yates, Yates
Contador, Valverde, Landa, Erviti, Castroviejo, Rojas, Purito, Nieve, Ion Izaguirre
Nibali, Aru, Ulissi, Colbrelli, Scarponi, Malori, Moser, Oss, De Marchi
Pinot, Bardet, Gallopin, Rolland, Demare, Ladagnous, Alaphilippe, Geniez, Barguil
Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Gesink, Poels, Terpstra, Westra, Kelderman, Boom

Apart from those, I can't think of any other nations that could produce a better GC team than Colombia, despite the youth present in that Colombian team mentioned. Maybe Australia, but they don't have as much depth on the climbs as Colombia.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The anarqui plan is great... In the end if we think, it would be almost impossible that one of them doesn´t win...

Contador, Froome, Quintana, Aru, Nibali, Landa, Richie Porte, Thomas And 2 good rollers, Tony Martin, and Sagan. each one with diferent objectives... But of course this is nonsense.

I would choose

Contador or Froome

Then, Landa, Porte, Thomas and Majka

Tony Martin, Kangert, Rui Costa

Sagan

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

GP Blanco said:
Jspear said:

No echelons ;)
With a fit Betancur, you have him, Gaviria and Uran (not the GC choice remember) as pretty decent windshield unit. If wind was more probable then I'd plug in Anacona and take out Dayer.

Oliwright said:
BigMac said:
Leader: Thibaut Pinot.

Slaves: Mikel Nieve; Marcel Wyss; Rafael Valls; Andrey Amador; Peter Kennaugh; Bob Jungels; Warren Barguil; Pierre Latour.

Indestructible.
Why do so many people like Pinot? He finished 3rd at the tour in the weakest ever field and since then has disappointed. Yes he won a TT or 2, but not enough to be this talked up.

I picked him in mine because I don't really believe in two GC guys, so I wanted someone usually inferior to Froome while not being a total no-hoper or a pure climber so the hierarchy is settled.

PremierAndrew said:
Looking at other big nations, just a couple of possibilities (looking purely at GC):

Contador, Valverde, Landa, Erviti, Castroviejo, Rojas, Purito, Nieve, Ion Izaguirre
Pinot, Bardet, Gallopin, Rolland, Demare, Ladagnous, Alaphilippe, Geniez, Barguil

Apart from those, I can't think of any other nations that could produce a better GC team than Colombia, despite the youth present in that Colombian team mentioned. Maybe Australia, but they don't have as much depth on the climbs as Colombia.

Imagine Germany in the sprints:

Knees-Politt-Martin-Sieberg-Kluge-Arndt-Degenkolb-Greipel-Kittel

Re:

TMP402 said:
I regret not picking Jungels. Based on his Giro perfomance, he might be the perfect mountain engine who can be persuaded to work for a better climber.

Indeed, he is almost as versatile as Thomas or Kwiatkowski. Although he lacks their palmares, he is already a decent rider. And he is only 23, so who knows where his ceiling might be...

Re:

TMP402 said:
I regret not picking Jungels. Based on his Giro perfomance, he might be the perfect mountain engine who can be persuaded to work for a better climber.

I went for Thomas and Dumoulin in that All round slot.

I think they are slightly better than Jungels at this point.
But Jungels is going to be an amazing rider!!

I can see him being similar to Brad, and he could Win a GT if he looses weight and the GT has plenty of TT kms

Akuryo said:
TMP402 said:

Indeed, he is almost as versatile as Thomas or Kwiatkowski. Although he lacks their palmares, he is already a decent rider. And he is only 23, so who knows where his ceiling might be...

I don't think Kwiat is as good in the high mountains as Jungels or Thomas.

To be fair Kwiat was great at 23 he finished 10th in the tour!

Oliwright said:
Akuryo said:
TMP402 said:

I don't think Kwiat is as good in the high mountains as Jungels or Thomas.

To be fair Kwiat was great at 23 he finished 10th in the tour!

I wasn't talking about high mountains, I was talking about versatility. And like Thomas or Kwiatkowski, Jungels gets fairly well over a wide range of terrain. He is (more than) solid in the mountains, gets over hills, was part of Kittels leadout and also got a strong tt. I don't know how he gets over cobbles but that would only be a bonus. And this versatility makes him an excellent asset for the topic of this thread: Being part of a strong GC-team, cause he can be of help to his leader at almost all stages of the race.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Contador (team leader. Best climber in the race. Best GT-rider)

Landa (my dark horse. Gets the space to attack the first mountain stage, to put pressure on all the other teams. Last man standing too for Contador in the mountains)

Zakarin (attacking horse, will light up the race multiple times)

Purito (will do a Murito the first km on Alpe d'Huez to launch Contador)

Scarponi (best domestique there is atm)

Valverde (chasing yellow in the first week and to get a likely stage win for the team)

Sagan (getting green, animate the race and he can work for Contador on a variety of points)

Ferrari (incredible bike handling skills, safeguard for team leaders Alberto and Sagan)

Tossato (because he's got massive experience, and a 'friend' of Contador)

Re:

Arredondo said:
Contador (team leader. Best climber in the race. Best GT-rider)

Landa (my dark horse. Gets the space to attack the first mountain stage, to put pressure on all the other teams. Last man standing too for Contador in the mountains)

Zakarin (attacking horse, will light up the race multiple times)

Purito (will do a Murito the first km on Alpe d'Huez to launch Contador)

Scarponi (best domestique there is atm)

Valverde (chasing yellow in the first week and to get a likely stage win for the team)

Sagan (getting green, animate the race and he can work for Contador on a variety of points)

Ferrari (incredible bike handling skills, safeguard for team leaders Alberto and Sagan)

Tossato (because he's got massive experience, and a 'friend' of Contador)

Not enough firepower on the flat. Tossato is toast, ferrari not at the top level and Sagan can't do it all on his own

TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Well we've got Doha for that ;)

Similarly the Belgian team would be quite daunting for the cobbled classics

PremierAndrew said:
TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Well we've got Doha for that ;)

Similarly the Belgian team would be quite daunting for the cobbled classics

Boonen, Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke, Vandenbergh, Benoot, Roelandts, Stuyven, Gilbert.

And in the end, Stannard wins.