• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
bib8aUI.jpg

That jersey is classic.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A double-shot from the bogan welcome-wagon, this time in Cairns, nth Qld.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/bottle-hurled-at-cyclists-along-bruce-highway-20160328-gns6cy.html

The filmer is an Emergency Doctor from the Cairns hospital, all three riders work there. These guys save lives, idiots.

Best quote: "These are just stupid people doing stupid things because they think they are justified in their hatred," owing to shock jocks and irresponsible media making scapegoats of these 'lawless lycra louts.'

There we have it: social conditioning, mind control, moral panics, groupthink, call it what you will; it's all the opposite of intelligence, compassion, love, community, tolerance and acceptance.

Imagine if we tried to ride our bikes on water as refugees to breach our 'sovereign borders'?!!!!

Stingray34 said:
A double-shot from the bogan welcome-wagon, this time in Cairns, nth Qld.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/bottle-hurled-at-cyclists-along-bruce-highway-20160328-gns6cy.html

The filmer is an Emergency Doctor from the Cairns hospital, all three riders work there. These guys save lives, idiots.

Best quote: "These are just stupid people doing stupid things because they think they are justified in their hatred," owing to shock jocks and irresponsible media making scapegoats of these 'lawless lycra louts.'

There we have it: social conditioning, mind control, moral panics, groupthink, call it what you will; it's all the opposite of intelligence, compassion, love, community, tolerance and acceptance.

Imagine if we tried to ride our bikes on water as refugees to breach our 'sovereign borders'?!!!!

'straya is an endless source of these incidents. 'straya just might contain the stupidest people on earth. It is almost certainly the worst place in the world to ride a bike.

Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Truck drives into group of cyclists in Tuscon.

https://twitter.com/PimaSheriff/status/705500065196998656

ugh. Quote from another forum:
Driver arrested on DUI charge. 5 were hit in a group of 15. 1 died on scene, 1 died in hospital, 1 critically injured, 2 non-critically injured.

Very sad.

Thanks for posting this. My late parents lived in Tucson, and I did a fair amount of riding there when I visited them. I always felt quite safe on the roads there, it’s a very bike-friendly place with bike lanes on the major roads and off road paths shared by cyclists and people walking. Every year it hosts a major fun race, El Tour, that often attracts top pros, e.g., Landis rode in it at least once.

Anyway, in this gruesome incident, the fifteen cyclists, all part of a senior group, apparently, were stopped at a traffic light, all of them in the bike lane. So the driver must have been very incapacitated.

http://azbikelaw.org/tag/cyclist-fatality/

There was another recent DUI-related fatality in Tucson in which the driver of a pickup truck ran into a cyclist, who hit the windshield, then flipped over in the air and landed in the back of the truck. The driver continued on for several hundred yards before stopping.

Btw, here is an interesting way that Tucson has come up with to memorialize riders killed by motor vehicles: white “ghost bikes” erected at the scene of the accident. I like that idea.

http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ghost-bikes-both-art-memorial-to-cyclists-killed-on-tucson/article_093f6eeb-80ab-5fff-9f0c-eccb5f804ca9.html

The dates on this are wrong, I remember them in NY a little prior to 2005, but anyway....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_bike

Re:

42x16ss said:
Lizanne is a fine and competent rider and I echo her thoughts and experiences on Sydney's roads. After 25 years of it devolving, it's a massive part of why I left recently. I finally got to ride this week in my new place. What a joy it was too. I was actually able to enjoy the experience of riding instead of constantly being in fear for my life. And passing cyclists all wave acknowledgement as well.

Re:

wrinklyvet said:

This actually featured on one of the medical emergency TV programs recently. The woman was filmed from the time the ambulance arrived and throughout her hospital stay but her injuries were terrible and she never regained consciousness. The interview with her mother at the end and her boyfriend was very sobering. An only child. What was amazing was that she was actually dead at the roadside and the medics had done all they could and as a last resort one of them made an incision in her chest and manually massaged her heart back to life. The huge effort by many people on the road and at the hospital was sadly not enough to get her through. Very sad.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A sad article on the death of the author's uncle: no other witnesses and the motorist refused to give evidence.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/next-time-you-drive-past-a-cyclist-remember-the-driver-who-hit-uncle-col-20160519-gozi53.html

For once, the comments are laregly sensible, although there's only 21 at the time of posting.

If you live in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney, consider riding in the short 'Ride of Silence' this Sunday morning in memory of cyclists killed my motorists, near the Manly Ferry wharf. Details in the article.

Stingray34 said:
A sad article on the death of the author's uncle: no other witnesses and the motorist refused to give evidence.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/next-time-you-drive-past-a-cyclist-remember-the-driver-who-hit-uncle-col-20160519-gozi53.html

For once, the comments are laregly sensible, although there's only 21 at the time of posting.

If you live in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney, consider riding in the short 'Ride of Silence' this Sunday morning in memory of cyclists killed my motorists, near the Manly Ferry wharf. Details in the article.

So someone involved in a death whether guilty or innocent can decide that they are not going to comment ? What sort of garbage is that ? I hope there is some CCTV footage found or something.

movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:

So someone involved in a death whether guilty or innocent can decide that they are not going to comment ? What sort of garbage is that ? I hope there is some CCTV footage found or something.

The best way to get away with murder is to have them ride a bike and then run them down with your car.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:

In the States I think it's called 'taking the fifth' as in invoking the 5th Amendment to not incriminate oneself. I agree, it's a bad look, yet there seems to be little impetus on behalf of police to get to the bottom of such incidents. If it was a baby in a pram it would be a different story. It's cultural.

As Winky says, killing a person on a bike with your car mostly comes down to 'whoopsy SMIDSY'. Cyclists are the new women, gays, people of colour: we're second-class citizens in English-speaking countries, and our emancipation and legal recognition will only come slowly and after a lot of accidents, deaths, protests, push-backs and consciousness-raising. We have a long way to go.

'I thought the major was a little lady/Suff-a-ra-jet!'

I dropped by a friends shop today and they had a customer in who had been hit in a low speed accident and damaged the rear wheel. The driver was under the impression that he wasn't at fault because this guy was riding in a shady area, with darker clothes on and no flashing light. This was completely ignoring that he was driving on the shoulder and the rider had two independent witnesses.

When I left he was on phone to the police.

Stingray34 said:
movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:

In the States I think it's called 'taking the fifth' as in invoking the 5th Amendment to not incriminate oneself. I agree, it's a bad look, yet there seems to be little impetus on behalf of police to get to the bottom of such incidents. If it was a baby in a pram it would be a different story. It's cultural.

As Winky says, killing a person on a bike with your car mostly comes down to 'whoopsy SMIDSY'. Cyclists are the new women, gays, people of colour: we're second-class citizens in English-speaking countries, and our emancipation and legal recognition will only come slowly and after a lot of accidents, deaths, protests, push-backs and consciousness-raising. We have a long way to go.

'I thought the major was a little lady/Suff-a-ra-jet!'

We don't have such a law in Australia but because there were no witnesses and the police presumably have no evidence of substance if they actually bothered investigating that is, this sort of thing can happen. In some unsolved crimes or accidents where liability can be attributed they still have a coroner's inquest but first they have to decide whether a crime has been committed or whether compensation can be made or whether it is in the community's interest and the findings could promote legal changes or changes to safety regulations or there is an actual legal case that can be prosecuted. If the dead person was a celebrity or a pregnant woman of course this would never happen.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's an interesting one for all you international cyclist-brothers-sisters,

Here in Australia's most populous state of New South Wales (NSW) where Sydney is the capital, the State Roads Minister, one Mr Duncan Gay, has quintupled fines for cyclists for crimes such as failing to wear a helmet, riding on footpath, not having a warning device (bell) and something called 'furious cycling,' all for the express purpose of 'cyclists' safety.'

He doesn't want cyclists money, he just wants us to be safe. Right.

So, if you find yourself cycling furiously down a Sydney road one day without a helmet and not having a bell to warn the B-Double truck that's bearing down on you, you only have yourself to blame for being a) fined and/or b) run over.

Read it all here:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/number-of-cycle-fines-surge-in-months-after-stiffer-penalties-introduced-in-nsw-20160517-goxld9.html

There's been a police blitz of course that's swelled the state's coffers. Interestingly, in a move that was meant to assuage cyclists, a one-metre passing law for motorists was also implemented. Compared to thousands of nanny-state helmet infringements, a mere four motorists have been cited for failing to give adequate room when passing. As an astute commenter noted, those four motorists would have actually collided with the cyclists they were trying to pass - because policing the actual metre is all but impossible.

Who else wants to move here?

Stingray34 said:

Here in Australia's most populous state of New South Wales (NSW) where Sydney is the capital, the State Roads Minister, one Mr Duncan Gay, has quintupled fines for cyclists for crimes such as failing to wear a helmet, riding on footpath, not having a warning device (bell) and something called 'furious cycling,' all for the express purpose of 'cyclists' safety.'

So, if you find yourself cycling furiously down a Sydney road one day without a helmet and not having a bell to warn the B-Double truck that's bearing down on you, you only have yourself to blame for being a) fined and/or b) run over.

Read it all here:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/number-of-cycle-fines-surge-in-months-after-stiffer-penalties-introduced-in-nsw-20160517-goxld9.html

There's been a police blitz of course that's swelled the state's coffers. Interestingly, in a move that was meant to assuage cyclists, a one-metre passing law for motorists was also implemented. Compared to thousands of nanny-state helmet infringements, a mere four motorists have been cited for failing to give adequate room when passing. As an astute commenter noted, those four motorists would have actually collided with the cyclists they were trying to pass - because policing the actual metre is all but impossible.

It's ridiculous of course and just idiotic revenue raising. They do it because it's easy money and a political winner for the anti cycling fraternity which seems to be growing not decreasing.

Stingray34 said:

Read it all here:

DG's aim is not to raise revenue, but to fine cyclists off the road altogether.

It's a little disappointing (outrageous, actually) that the metre passing law has resulted in a significant reduction in fines for buzzing cyclists. It used to be a $2,200 (maximum court-imposed) fine for dangerous or reckless driving. Now it's just $319. "Sorry officer, I know I didn't give her a metre, I'll do better next time".

I would have been a much better solution for cyclists if the definition of dangerous or reckless driving had been simply augmented to include passing closer than a metre as prima facie evidence of the offence.

This wouldn't be an issue in most countries, but 'straya has the most blatantly aggressive and/or incompetent drivers in the world.

winkybiker said:
Stingray34 said:

Read it all here:

DG's aim is not to raise revenue, but to fine cyclists off the road altogether.

It's a little disappointing (outrageous, actually) that the metre passing law has resulted in a significant reduction in fines for buzzing cyclists. It used to be a $2,200 (maximum court-imposed) fine for dangerous or reckless driving. Now it's just $319. "Sorry officer, I know I didn't give her a metre, I'll do better next time".

I would have been a much better solution for cyclists if the definition of dangerous or reckless driving had been simply augmented to include passing closer than a metre as prima facie evidence of the offence.

This wouldn't be an issue in most countries, but 'straya has the most blatantly aggressive and/or incompetent drivers in the world.
and said motorists are really proud of this

TRENDING THREADS