• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One week only, for those who missed out

"Today through Friday, and coinciding with national Bike To Work Week, the NYPD says it will crack down on drivers who endanger cyclists by double parking, or parking in bike lanes or no-standing zones—phenomena all too familiar to Jay Street commuters forced to swerve dangerously into traffic during rush hour.

"We are focusing on violations that can endanger our city's cyclists, and making sure New Yorkers can safely travel on bike lanes throughout the five boroughs,” NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said in a statement. The Vision Zero ticketing initiative has been dubbed "Bicycle Safe Passage."

According to the Department of Transportation [PDF], about 86,000 New Yorkers commute regularly to work or school. And on a typical day, there are about 400,000 cycling trips within city limits.

Mayor de Blasio lauded 2015 as the safest year on New York City's streets since 1910 as part of his annual Vision Zero check in earlier this year. According to the city, there were 231 traffic fatalities in 2015—66 fewer than in 2013, the year before the Mayor's street safety initiative was launched. But cyclist deaths have held steady in recent years: 14 in 2015, in line with the 2000-2013 average.

Speaking at the Vision Zero Conference in March, Bratton stressed that traffic-related summonses were up this year to date—28% for speeding, 38% for red lights, 19% for improper turns, and 47% for texting. In the coming year, the NYPD is pushing for 400 to 500 additional traffic enforcement agents, to supplement the 3,000 currently on the street.

Despite the best efforts of some local community boards, NYC is also on track to build more than 15 miles of protected bike lanes this year, up from 12 miles last year. Still, enforcement of these lanes has been a perennial issue. At a recent Community Board 2 meeting, Brooklyn cyclists laughed bitterly when the Department of Transportation suggested that it could keep drivers out of proposed Jay Street bike lanes through community outreach. Illegally-parked municipal cars are a common site on that roadway, and cops have been called out as some of the worst offenders.

"Until somebody stands up against them... we're all wasting our time," one board member predicted.

So safe riding, everybody—this week and every week. Here's a refresher on what you're up against. "

http://gothamist.com/2016/05/16/bike_lane_violations_nypd.php

http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/shocking-road-rage-incident-shows-wa-cyclist-attacked-by-knife-wielding-driver-20160601-gp99t4.html

'Straya just keeps on giving to this thread.....

In hindsight, the rider may have been better just to let the idiot in the 4WD go after he was cut off, rather than undertake through the roundabout. But I know how he felt. You get angry when someone deliberately endangers your life like that. And if the driver is prosecuted, as he should be, then it works out for the best, I guess. The driver has brandished two deadly weapons (car and knife) in the space of two minutes, both times with an apparent or stated intent to harm.

Re: Re:

Archibald said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
saw that on nine.msn...

can't believe that's all he got. I'd feel it a safe bet that if you threatened someone like that in a mall, you'd get more than that. And that's before trying to hit someone with your 4WD...
If someone did that in a shopping centre Victoria or New South Wales they'd probably end up getting shot.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Cycling in Sydney has become a bit like driving in places where fake crash insurance fraud is rife. Dash cameras are a must to have at least some form of evidence of idiotic behaviour.
https://chillikebab.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/from-dckhead-to-sir-in-the-flash-of-a-camera/

I was back in Sydney briefly a few weeks ago. I was unsurprised, but still disappointed to see very few cyclists (other than the weekend club rides) on the roads. Shocking how few commuters and general-purpose cyclists were around. Duncan has won. He's fined them off the roads, with the assistance of the most aggressive and incompetent drivers on the planet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kalamazoo-bike-accident-michigan-police-pickup-truck-driven-erratically/

Excerpt:
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Five people were killed Tuesday when a group of bicyclists was struck by a pickup truck, CBS affiliate WWMT reported.

Investigators told the station nine people in all were hit when the vehicle came up behind them around 6:30 p.m. on North Westnedge Avenue, near Markin Glen Park. The driver fled on foot but was captured a short time later.

At a news conference late Tuesday, Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting said the driver is a 50-year-old man from west Michigan. He would not release the man's name but said he was in police custody.

About 30 minutes before the crash, several people called the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, Kalamazoo Township Police Department and the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office to report a pickup truck driving erratically, Getting said. Police were not pursuing the vehicle when it struck the group.

mojomonkey said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kalamazoo-bike-accident-michigan-police-pickup-truck-driven-erratically/

Excerpt:
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Five people were killed Tuesday when a group of bicyclists was struck by a pickup truck, CBS affiliate WWMT reported.

Investigators told the station nine people in all were hit when the vehicle came up behind them around 6:30 p.m. on North Westnedge Avenue, near Markin Glen Park. The driver fled on foot but was captured a short time later.

At a news conference late Tuesday, Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting said the driver is a 50-year-old man from west Michigan. He would not release the man's name but said he was in police custody.

About 30 minutes before the crash, several people called the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, Kalamazoo Township Police Department and the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office to report a pickup truck driving erratically, Getting said. Police were not pursuing the vehicle when it struck the group.

He's been charged with 5 counts of second-degree murder.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/new-laws-against-throwing-things-from-cars-at-pedestrianscyclists--20160613-gphmc3.html

Straya' never stops giving up the laughs. In the ACT they have passed NEW laws making it illegal to throw stuff at bike riders. Yes, you read that correctly NEW LAWS. Presumably it was perfectly acceptable to do this, prior to this groundbreaking legislation. My experience riding in 'straya would confirm that throwing things at bike riders was indeed considered acceptable. Compulsory if the thrower was in a ute, actually.

(Edit: Don't read the comments if you want to retain your sanity)

Re:

winkybiker said:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/new-laws-against-throwing-things-from-cars-at-pedestrianscyclists--20160613-gphmc3.html

Straya' never stops giving up the laughs. In the ACT they have passed NEW laws making it illegal to throw stuff at bike riders. Yes, you read that correctly NEW LAWS. Presumably it was perfectly acceptable to do this, prior to this groundbreaking legislation. My experience riding in 'straya would confirm that throwing things at bike riders was indeed considered acceptable. Compulsory if the thrower was in a ute, actually.

(Edit: Don't read the comments if you want to retain your sanity)
reminds me of a 7am sunday group ride where this 'lovely' chap in his concrete pumping co. ute started throwing full beer cans at our front wheels... yep, Sydney...
Amazing what some will do when their company and phone number is emblazed all over their vehicle :rolleyes:

A mate of mine had a full McDonalds coke thrown at him from a convertible. We were able to pull up next to him at the next set of lights, when my friend poured his entire bottle of electrolyte drink all over the passenger who threw the coke and asked how he likes it!

It was hilarious but I'm a little reluctant to ride with him now :eek:

May 11, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:
I don't really have any words for this one.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hitrun-driver-stephanie-maher-found-guilty-over-cyclists-nepean-highway-death-20160628-gptpul.html

This woman has a lot of bad karma coming her way, several lifetimes-worth to atone for.

What a piss weak sentence for a piece of human flotsam. A disgrace. What deterrent is there for someone like this ? She starts doping again after eight months home detention and then what ?

Quote:".... Before the trial, another judge ordered media reports of Maher's committal hearing two years ago, and her 2008 guilty plea to stealing drugs from hospitals, be removed from the internet...."

Obviously this judge has never heard of the Internet "Wayback machine"

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
avanti said:
movingtarget said:
Stingray34 said:
I don't really have any words for this one.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hitrun-driver-stephanie-maher-found-guilty-over-cyclists-nepean-highway-death-20160628-gptpul.html

This woman has a lot of bad karma coming her way, several lifetimes-worth to atone for.

What a piss weak sentence for a piece of human flotsam. A disgrace. What deterrent is there for someone like this ? She starts doping again after eight months home detention and then what ?

Quote:".... Before the trial, another judge ordered media reports of Maher's committal hearing two years ago, and her 2008 guilty plea to stealing drugs from hospitals, be removed from the internet...."

Obviously this judge has never heard of the Internet "Wayback machine"

It is bad, yeah -can you imagine riding with this person bearing down on you in a car. Ugghhh.

Yup, this judge doesn't know about web cache. Hope he doesn't have any personal peccadilloes.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

winkybiker said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36670145

Oh my.

I'm not exactly a happy chappy. It would be awful, but a somewhat 'organic' way to go; better than being cleaned up by some entitled chav in a Mondeo. Or a knob in an Audi/BMW.

TRENDING THREADS