• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drug testing for ice fishing

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Two minigolfers tested positive for banned substances, out of 76 tested in 2011, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency. That year, one chess player also tested positive, as did two bowlers, eight roller sport athletes and one tug-of-war competitor.

WOW !

Noting more I can say ..

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
You can be drug tested for chess.

In chess one has to concentrate very hard for extended periods of time. Taking drugs is very helpful, so there's a good reason to dope. The same is true in professional poker.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I don't really know, but certainly there are substances that makes you focus, or calm you

Here is an article written in 2001 by GM Ian Rogers which looks at drugs, doping and chess.
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/ic01.pdf

Ian has no medical training as he said in the article but it is an interesting read.

EPO does get a mention as being possible help by increasing endurance.

Also an attempt at boosting oxygen in the blood by former World Champion Anatoly Karpov.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
This thread really shows that people are willing to cheat in every situation! :rolleyes:

does it though? It shows people will cheat if something is very very important to them but we already knew that.

the fact that it is mind-numbing to any right-thinking member of the society that someone will view ice fishing as important to them is besides the point ;)

On a second thought, ice fishing may find it tough to get into the olympics proper but a brain scan of the participants would probably earn them an opening to enter the paralympics

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
does it though? It shows people will cheat if something is very very important to them but we already knew that.

the fact that it is mind-numbing to any right-thinking member of the society that someone will view ice fishing as important to them is besides the point ;)

On a second thought, ice fishing may find it tough to get into the olympics proper but a brain scan of the participants would probably earn them an opening to enter the paralympics

How is ice fishing any different to any other competitive recreational activity?
I do not see what is so stupid about it.
I am not a great fan of cold so that rules me out but if you like the cold and fishing I do not see how it is stupid.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is stupid because there is no drug that will help ice fishing. Testing damages the credibility of drug testing in real sports by making dope testing look like anti-drug hysteria.

I was talking about ice fishing itself which I think was what workingclasshero was attacking, not the drug testing of ice fishermen.

workingclasshero said:

Yeah... but there are people who'll make a big deal about the stupidest of things! :rolleyes:

Of course I think making a big deal out of any competition is rather silly! This ain't the ancient Mayas! The loser won't be sacrificed!

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
I was talking about ice fishing itself which I think was what workingclasshero was attacking, not the drug testing of ice fishermen.

you're right, i was.

you have to be a bit of a dullard to enjoy fishing by itself, even more of an oddball to do it in freezing conditions and a bit of a lunatic to consider it an important competition :D

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
you're right, i was.

you have to be a bit of a dullard to enjoy fishing by itself, even more of an oddball to do it in freezing conditions and a bit of a lunatic to consider it an important competition :D

So I am a dullard although to be fair to myself I have not actually been fishing for a number of years.
Now what is a dullard?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I hope the competitors with fish hidden in their pockets were disqualified. Bring in strip searches for sports anglers as well as blood tests.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is stupid because there is no drug that will help ice fishing. Testing damages the credibility of drug testing in real sports by making dope testing look like anti-drug hysteria.

I'm not so sure. I'd think something that would make you loose your sense of time would come in handy.

And I don't see why drug testing would damage the credibility of the sport.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
arjanh said:
I'm not so sure. I'd think something that would make you loose your sense of time would come in handy.

And I don't see why drug testing would damage the credibility of the sport.

To be frank, going out and sitting on a frozen lake at 20 below to catch fish may very well REQUIRE drugs.

workingclasshero said:

Funny, that's the same opinion some of my ice fishing friends have about me riding bikes so much. To each their own.