• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drug testing for ice fishing

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
arjanh said:
And I don't see why drug testing would damage the credibility of the sport.

It hurts the credibility of drug testing. People will laugh at the concept of testing ice fishermen for drugs. It affects the way people will view most dope testing.

Also if ice fishing got its wish then drug testing will take resources that could better be spent elsewhere.

It also illustrates how WADA needs to adapt their doping policies to individual sports. If something does not help then it should not be tested for.

RedheadDane said:
Yeah... but there are people who'll make a big deal about the stupidest of things! :rolleyes:

Of course I think making a big deal out of any competition is rather silly! This ain't the ancient Mayas! The loser won't be sacrificed!

Originally it was the winners that were sacrificed. Which is similar in a way to today because the winners sacrifice their health.

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
What drugs would help chess?

Ritalin and Modafinil were commonly used at one time as both substances increase the ability to concentrate. Students take the drugs during exams, and doping inspectors test chess players for both substances now though.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It hurts the credibility of drug testing. If ice fishing got its wish then drug testing will take resources that could better be spent elsewhere.

Even though I don't agree with you, who would decide which sport is deemed worthy for drug testing?

I would agree that any drug testing has to be sensible. It wouldn't make much sense testing for EPO in ice fishing, for instance.

Well apparently some people take this stuff pretty seriously, like anything. I searched the prize winnings for an ice-fishing world champion and found out there are none. Just a trophy. Can't blame money for the doping.

One of the rules is you have to auger the holes with a hand auger, I can see a dude getting all 'roided up to knock those out quick. But any "sport" where you don't get disqualified for being drunk is good enough for me. Maybe cross/icefishing could be a new biathlon Olympic sport.

For a good laugh:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin’/2013/02/world-icefishing-championship-tournament

"you know, I always looked up to Dave Genz, he's in the freshwater fishing hall of fame for what he did for ice fishing. He's been an inspiration to me."

"We sat, before we entered that tournament in 2010," continued Gilbert, "and I'll never forget, Dave pulls out of his pocket, a Silver medal. (Genz fished for Team USA in the '92 World Championships on Lake Simcoe, near Toronto, at which they won silver.) Gets me worked up thinking about it (tears ran down his cheeks, which he wiped away, and it took him time before he could continue)."

"But there is nothing – nothing – like standing up there on that podium, national anthem playing for your country, as the winners of the gold medal. There's nothing, in my whole life, and I've accomplished a lot, that does that to me."

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How about they test for what would make a difference?

Yeah, we agree on that. What I'm after is who is going to decide that anti-doping resources are well spent on sport A, but not on sport B?

May 21, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It is stupid because there is no drug that will help ice fishing...

It appears that you are confusing Hutch-less Ice Fishing with it's less physically demanding cousin Hutch-ed Ice Fishing of which no drug will help. It's OK, happens all the time. Hutch-less Ice Fishing is serious sh!t!

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Foreign influence

Its the foreign influence causing the doping according to various sources.

One American (Texas based) fisherman realized that the foreign fisherman were doping so he and his buddies were forced to start doping. Unfortunately some Belgium fisherman who used to ice fish in Spain showed the nice clean American fisherman how to dope.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
And I know for a fact that the Russian Team was using PowerBait™to capture that Gold Medal. A four-and-a-half-pound haul without PowerBait™?! Yeah ...right!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It hurts the credibility of drug testing.

It was obvious that the reason they decided to do **** tests for the 2011
Iditarod was because Lance Mackey had won the previous 3 Years iirc
and was a known/self-confessed pot smoker.

TRENDING THREADS